Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 05:11:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingBox Rush 4 - Newbie Game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Box Rush 4 - Newbie Game  (Read 1189 times)
Mundarova
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2010, 03:47:05 AM »

Hi TIGSource boards, I'm Mundarova and i'm new here.

I just wanted to share my latest game, though I'm still learning how to make games so please don't criticize it hardcore lol. I know it's crappy. :D

Here is the game

Thanks in advance for your feedback. I appreciate both positive and negative ones.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 04:38:19 AM by Mundarova » Logged
Renton
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 04:17:57 AM »

Hey man, your link is broken.
Mundarova
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 04:38:34 AM »

Hey man, your link is broken.

Thanks ! Fixed now.
ink.inc
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 10:18:29 PM »

Couple of problems:

1. The key for attracting coins is awkwardly placed. I have to move my pinky from the shift key down over to the ctrl key, which is an annoyance. The average person has five fingers; have the thumb do it via the spacebar.

2. Why is attracting coins given its own button in the first place? This feels like something that should be done automatically.

3. The targeter is not particularly useful. Because of the player's low rate of fire, the low speed of the bullets, and because the player moves, you have to widely adjust your aim to compensate.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 10:28:06 PM by John Sandoval » Logged
ink.inc
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 10:23:58 PM »

Also:

4. Your high score system doesn't work properly. When you close the game and restart it, the high score table isn't saved.

5. You're not using view space efficiently. The player is relatively large compared to the view port. There's spans of maybe 10 seconds where I don't see any enemies. Make the view bigger. Add more enemies. Also, make the game full screen (it's pretty simple; just change the global settings).

I know everything I said was negative, but keep on trucking, dude. Building games is hard.
Mundarova
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 04:33:29 AM »

Dear John Sandoval, thank you very much for the feedback.

My replies:

1 - Yes, I agree 100%. It should have been "space" key and not "ctrl".

2 - I did it intentionally but if the key wasn't CTRL and something else it wouldn't be a big problem to tap it to attract objects. Main reason I made it this way is that so that you don't attract all objects all the time, since you do also attract the harming red boxes.

3 - I agree, the shooting system is crappy. In fact, it's my laziness.

4 - I wanted it to clear the highscore table everytime the game is restarted. Why ? I don't know. Can't really remember.

5 - Player being too large for the view is something i'll definitely keep in mind for the later games. Adding more enemies is also a good advice, but I don't agree that it should be full-screen. I can make it full screen, yes, but I just don't want to. Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic