Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 03:23:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeCOMICOMPO FOUR | Writing: DONE | Art: Page 11 - JWK5
Poll
Question: Pick a theme  (Voting closed: November 14, 2010, 09:35:57 AM)
Unconventional sci-fi - 23 (27.1%)
Fire - 11 (12.9%)
The hunt - 11 (12.9%)
Revenge - 9 (10.6%)
Tiny worlds - 16 (18.8%)
Haunted by past mistakes - 15 (17.6%)
Total Voters: 47

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28
Print
Author Topic: COMICOMPO FOUR | Writing: DONE | Art: Page 11 - JWK5  (Read 82751 times)
Renton
« on: November 07, 2010, 07:24:29 AM »

COMICOMPO FOUR
Two Open Artist Slots
Artist slots are coming and going fast, keep your eyes open for possible drop-outs

THEME: Unconventional sci-fi and/or Tiny Worlds

WRITERS Noir
01 Noyb
02 Mar
03 KittenEater
04 Ashkin
05 Moi
06 Cellulose
07 Inanimate
08 Xion
09 Hroon
10 JR Hill
11 Fireshaw
12 Thernz
13 Captain_404
14 Shadowdim
15 Melly
16 Pencerkoff
17 Chest Rockwell
18 Yoshimitsu

ARTISTS Wizard
01 Unsilentwill
02 Hempuli
03 John Nesky
04 JWG
05 Nate Kling
06 Junkboy
07 Landshark SSSSSSSSSS
08 Jajitsu
09 Savethedinosaurs
10 AndrewFM

11 JWK5
12 John Sandoval
13 Astrospoon
14 Tsameti
15 Inane
16 Pen

The poll is closed. We'll begin in a few hours.

What's a Comicompo?
A comicompo is a community comic. In the previous comicompos, each artist drew a page based on only the previous page. This time, we're trying something different.

Different how?
We have two teams, a writing and an artwork team. Each member of the teams will be working on one page, but unlike the comicompos before, they'll be able to see everything that has been done before them. This time we're going for less chaos, more story.

So how do I sign up?
Signups are CLOSED. Which means you can write that you want to contribute in bold red. You also have to write down which team you wish to sign up for, also in bold. You can not join both teams.

I signed up, now what?
You check this thread often to see what's up, whose turn it is to write/draw. Make sure you don't miss your turn. The order of the comic will not be based on the order of the sign ups, so you'd better pay attention to it once it's announced. When your turn comes, you will be getting a private message from me on this forum, containing the material. When you finish, you send your page back and we continue like that.

What are the rules?
  • You have 5 days to finish your page.
  • You can pass your turn once. However, if you wish to do so, please do it as soon as your turn comes. Passing your turn will change your place in the queue.
  • If you miss your 5 day time and do not respond to PMs, you are canned. If you've passed once and will not be able to finish in time in your second time, you are canned.
  • Finish your page. No incomplete pages at the deadline.

For writers:
  • You will write for one page. That means 10 panels max.

For artists:
  • Your image must be at least 612px x 792px in size, maintaining an 8.5 x 11 aspect ratio.

And some tips:
  • Keep in mind your abilities. Don't bite more than you can chew. If you're planning a full 5 day drawing binge for your page; you're going for an overkill.
  • For writers; don't go too deep. Keep things loose. Simpler the better. We only have 18 pages, we do not need a cast of 50 people with 20 subplots. Too many details will also suffocate both the other writers and the artist drawing your page.
  • For writers again: If you've never read or written a comic book script, try this website for some sample scripts.
  • For artists: While no one will care all that much about how you draw, try to at least keep the characters from the previous pages recognizable for the sake of the readers.
  • Again for artists: If you don't have a scanner, you probably should go digital.

Game plan
Comicompo Four will be our first attempt at a continuous story. Since I don't really know how well it'll go, we'll be keeping it small. 15 pages is large enough for a small sized story. The theme will be announced once the poll is closed. If you'll keep up with the theme or just wing it and have a different story is completely up to the writers. The theme is just there to give the initial idea.

That's all.
All updates will be edited into this post, so stay tuned.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 12:16:39 AM by Renton » Logged
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 07:52:42 AM »

we should be able to pick two themes. Mix-n-matching FTW...

Also: I could try as a writer

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Renton
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 08:01:11 AM »

Can't seem to edit it into allowing that.
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 09:03:40 AM »

Art Team.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 09:18:22 AM »

Writer team

If you want Renton I can edit the poll. Mods in general tend to have more leeway with those things.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Renton
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 09:19:25 AM »

That would be great, mate. 2 choices for each voter should be optimal.
HDSanctum
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 09:22:48 AM »

Art Team
JoGribbs
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 09:29:18 AM »

Art Team Pls
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 09:36:38 AM »

Okay, that should have done it. Let me know if I fucked something up.

Also, that edit may have reset the timer.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Captain_404
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 10:01:01 AM »

Writers
pen
Level 8

babyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 10:02:21 AM »

Art Team

I AM FREE!
Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 10:16:46 AM »

sign me up for the ... ART TEAM!

Ashkin
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 10:25:53 AM »

Yes, unconventional sci-fi is winning! I voted for tiny unconventional sci-fi worlds :3
That's it, I'm doing this thing. Sign me up for writing, bro.
Do we have to be good at writing?... Here's a sample of some recent work: http://pastebin.com/cU8wv9cH

Edit: For the writers, should we just write a script, i.e. the actions the characters take and what they say, or a storyboard? I imagine that it will just be scripts, as writing out the whole story board would take away the artist's freedom.
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 11:34:42 AM »

Art Team

JoGribbs
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2010, 11:41:08 AM »

Edit: For the writers, should we just write a script, i.e. the actions the characters take and what they say, or a storyboard? I imagine that it will just be scripts, as writing out the whole story board would take away the artist's freedom.
In 'proper' mainstream comics it's perfectly acceptable for the writer to provide the artist with a sketch for the layout; I know Grant Morrison did it for Arkham Asylum. It's useful if you have a particular panel layout in mind that's not very easy to describe, but it's not required.

Not sure what the rules are here though :/
Renton
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2010, 12:04:46 PM »

You are free to write your page as you please, but I would suggest writing the script like a proper comic book script, for the sake of consistency in structure through out the complete work. That's why I gave that link to comic book scripts in the Tips part.

If you don't want to be very strict in your writing and don't wish to write everything down so the artist can have freedom, it's obviously fine and even encouraged; as long as you don't go about writing something like;
"In this page, they go to X's house, sit on the couch. They talk a bit:
x: Hello
y: Hello
And then X gets a glass of water."

Something along those lines would simply be too vague and sort of make forming a writing team rather unnecessary.
astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2010, 12:13:56 PM »

Signing in for art duties, SIR!

ink.inc
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2010, 12:14:04 PM »

Fuck it. Doesn't take much peer pressure for me to try something dumb. ART TEAM!
kinnas
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2010, 12:16:34 PM »

Let's ART IT UP!

hroon
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2010, 12:27:20 PM »

Writers!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28
Print