Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:32:25 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSubmarine Roguelike
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Submarine Roguelike  (Read 8686 times)
Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2010, 09:07:36 PM »

this looks incredible, I back this 100%

Bios sound great, also, I love submarines so much.

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2010, 09:37:20 PM »

What a genius concept. Can't wait to play.
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2010, 10:03:48 PM »

further update!!

Click here to test

I have updated my control scheme. before i had specific keys for each action. I calculated it would take like 20 keys to play this game. so I switched to the icon idea.

left and right cycle through the icons and Z selects. X will be cancel. only the movement works now so let me know what you think. I have also been working on the day/night cycle and the room loading. so right now open spaces are blank, but 2 different floor sceneries appear.

Kuppo
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2010, 10:10:54 PM »

This is looking rather awesome absolutely incredible.

I envision the mechanic as having the most potential for sympathy.  Throughout the game, he does all the maintenance work, while the captain sits idly by the hull breach or whatever smoking his pipe.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2010, 11:16:46 PM »

it's a little annoying to have to press z and then the arrow buttons to move. i kept accidentally press the arrow key and changing the mode and having to go back and reselect the move mode. it just doesnt feel natural.

how about press z to lock it in move mode and then press x if you want to go back and choose another action.
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2010, 07:01:40 AM »

@allen
yeah I had the same problem about pressing Z, but i figured you wouldn't just be moving from place to place cause you would be fighting monsters and stuff. but I never thought of doing a locked control scheme. I am definitely coding that today.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2010, 10:10:49 PM »

here's some more art for you.

your two crew members will be dressed like this. all the heads will be randomly selected so crew members will be different each time. also you will be able to choose your captains face. so far a crew member will have a randomly chosen

* face
* perk

and possibly
* name
* bio

any favorites? also is it rather racist and sexist that I only have white anglo-saxon men it seems. should I perhaps expand this. the reason against female faces is I don't want to have to make separate body types. and when they have captain hats on you wont notice they are women, and I only worked on getting one skin color so far.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2010, 10:19:38 PM »

also is it rather racist and sexist that I only have white anglo-saxon men

no
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2010, 01:13:38 AM »

nah, but maybe some more skin tones would be nice, if not for ethnic diversity then for mere visual variety.

Kuppo
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2010, 11:56:12 AM »

It's not a large priority, but if you get around to it, varying skin tone and sex would add more to the roguelike spirit.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2010, 11:58:20 AM »

nah, but maybe some more skin tones would be nice, if not for ethnic diversity then for mere visual variety.
It's not a large priority, but if you get around to it, varying skin tone and sex would add more to the roguelike spirit.

Yeah, I was about to say that it would make for a lot more fun randomization.
James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2010, 04:09:19 PM »

I'd like to get a black, hispanic, indian, etc, etc guy everyonce in a while. It would add more variation and personality to the randomly generated guys you get; like X-COM had.

Pike `n Shot  the first pshmup ever made. Twitter:@JamesEdSmith
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2010, 04:49:10 PM »

alright so thats definitely going in.

here is a question guys. I am trying to figure out how to use lighting as a gameplay aspect. usually the games like this use lighting to obscure hidden areas, but that doesn't work with this room based game system. so any ideas for lighting. I was thinking maybe that lights on give a 25% chance in bigger monsters, but lights off give a chance in damage during travel. but this seems really silly. any ideas guy? I need to figure out how to get Pros and Cons for the lighting system.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2010, 08:10:42 PM »

Pros    Cons
Lights onCan see better
Locate enemy weaknesses
Inspect environment
    Drains power
Easier to be found by monsters
Lights offHarder for monsters to find
Preserves energy
Easier to escape combat
    Some monsters get bonuses
Might run into walls
Might pass up treasures
Shrug?

James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2010, 07:35:48 AM »

I think that lighting could still work as a way to find obscured areas, even with your room based system. Light's on all the time would mean attracting more attention but lights on in the right rooms would reveal paths to otherwise unlocatable rooms.

Pike `n Shot  the first pshmup ever made. Twitter:@JamesEdSmith
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2010, 10:29:28 AM »

wow thanks guys.

so while building this I keep trying to figure out what the goal is. I have been looking at a lot of board game Dungeon Crawls to see what ideas they use as goals aside from the standard kill monster A. so here are some ideas

1. you are given a set amount of days and must go out, collect treasure and explore. You must be back on time though. the goal is to see how much money you can make.

2. you are given one expedition. you start at town with $1000 and spend as much or as little as you want. from then on you go out and when you come back to town the game is over. there will be a boat on the surface randomly though that will sell you stuff. with this idea though I would add "food" so the player must keep food up by killing animals and buying supplies.

any comments? anything other ideas?

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2010, 09:11:22 PM »

New UI. combat is in. working on inventory now. then moving on to the crew.

so got the action icon (oooo attack). sub health, air level, fuel level, and the 3 crew healths. fuel will be your time limit.

Sakar
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2010, 11:48:00 PM »

Awesome work you've done so far My Word!

I am definitely keeping an eye on this project
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2010, 07:47:26 PM »

still working on this but taking a small break to port my previous Aeronaut game to Ipod. so i figure I might tantalize this.

oddly enough the game is no where near Innsmouth.

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2010, 08:11:25 PM »

I just tried the movement engine test and it looks good, but I think there's something wrong.

I can't seem to get out of the water...

Sorry, I was just reading the terrible joke thread.  Facepalm
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic