Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 07:19:04 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSubmarine Roguelike
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Submarine Roguelike  (Read 8693 times)
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2010, 05:59:20 PM »

Update!!

Click here to test

so you can move around, fight some things, the ocean is still pretty empty. nothing to exciting, but its starting to take shape. next I need to add items and a town. Once I get that done. I should have the basic engine and then its just filling the world with stuff.

other stuff I have been thinking about for later:
1. players collect ores and crystals
2. these materials can be used to build items from plans. (some plans will be hidden)
3. I am thinking everything from sub upgrades to robots.

lasttea999
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2010, 12:14:51 PM »

Seems a bit overly simple at the moment, but definitely looking forward to updates!!

kario
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2010, 06:09:51 PM »

Addicted Hand Clap
this [/s]was[/s]is surprisingly really awesome.
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2010, 09:31:50 PM »

lasttea999: what do you mean by overly simple? is it because I don't have much in the game so far or do you have some ideas on making it better now.

Kairo: thank you sir.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2010, 10:33:24 PM »

new UI and movement controls are great   Hand Thumbs Up Left
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2010, 08:56:30 AM »

thanks allen. so I was thinking and two thing I wanted in the games were Deep Ones and Atlanteans. I figured you could fight them, but now I am thinking more and I was thinking about what if they were other races. you could visit their towns and then they would give you special bonuses. perhaps the Atlanteans can make amazing machinery for your sub. stuff like that.

Altemore
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2011, 02:04:49 AM »

Conspiring with deep ones?! I guess there could be some humour to it, talking with the inbred fishmen. Sort of like meeting the banjo-boy in deliverance. They should also take a hint from deliverance in that adventuring around the town/hub/cave of the deep ones should have a chance of encountering them in battle. That way they become the faction that you can't really trust, distinguishing them neatly from the (peaceful and fey?) atlanteans.

I like the movement engine, though I worry the sub is too big relative to the things you might feasibly want to display next to it. It takes up basically half the screenspace that isn't UI, so it won't easily be dwarfed by any of the larger denizens of the sea, giant squids etc.
 Hand Thumbs Up Right
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2011, 01:07:46 PM »

Deep Ones could give you amazing bonuses and powers with amazing drawbacks / costs, based around mutations, organic technology, and arcane magics.

Atlanteans could simply be powerful magitech upgrades, that instead give you small boosts or smalelr abilities.
lasttea999
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2011, 01:48:43 PM »

lasttea999: what do you mean by overly simple? is it because I don't have much in the game so far or do you have some ideas on making it better now.

Ha ha, sorry for not seeing this for so long! For the most part, by overly simple I meant that you don't have much in the game so far. I want to see more content such as more actions that the player can take, a good inventory system, etc... But I'm sure stuff like that is on the way!

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2011, 09:51:30 PM »

still working on this but going back to a more simplistic idea. I was worrying a lot about combat and all that and I wanted my initial goal to be exploring this huge underwater world, not fighting monsters. so I cut the combat out completely fr the time being. I am just focusing on the world building and exploration right now. the only thing I am afraid of is there is only so much I can add. like for example:

the first time you find Atlantis is going to be crazy. you discovered a lost city! On your second play through if you find Atlantis it wont be as exciting so how do I keep that excitement of discovery each game.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic