Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411498 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 08:11:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralTIG Game-Making Forum Werewolf Compo Idea Thing (what the hell)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: TIG Game-Making Forum Werewolf Compo Idea Thing (what the hell)  (Read 4974 times)
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: November 09, 2010, 07:40:28 PM »

HELLO MY NAME IS DROQEN AND I HAVE A DUMB IDEA

You get something like ten to fifteen people to enter in some kind of little mini game-making compo. It will run for a decent amount of time (maybe a month?)

There will be one or two people who are not really werewolves but are in fact 'ghosts'. These people are not allowed to make a game but rather must pretend to be making one, creating a devlog and mockups and things like that if the need arises.

Any player is allowed to post their game once, and that is when it is completed. Therefore, completing your game quickly guarantees your safety.

Each week, all players get together and discuss: who is a ghost and just faking a game being made? They vote on one player to kick out of the compo (one per week, so that's 4/10 players getting kicked out? maybe run it a bit longer).

IF A GHOST: PLAYER MUST REVEAL THAT THEY HAVE IN FACT BEEN A GHOST ALL ALONG
IF NOT A GHOST: PLAYER POSTS THEIR GAME WITH A SAD FACE AND ASKS WHY DIDN'T YOU BELIEVE ME ):

WHAT DO YOU THINK?!

SANE SUMMARY (RULES)
THERE ARE TWO KINDS OF PLAYERS:
  • GHOSTS
  • MAKERS

GOAL OF EACH GHOST:
Do not make a game. Do not get discovered and kicked out.
Also, try to do as little work as possible.
Don't make a game and post actual screenshots.
Don't make a game and post actual logs of all the bugs you run into.
Make mockups. Fake problems. Act.

GOAL OF EACH MAKER:
Win the compo. Make the best game.

THINGS YOU CAN POST EVERYWHERE:
Text. Pictures. Maybe sounds and music?
Creating a DevLog is recommended.

THINGS YOU CAN'T POST ANYWHERE, OR SEND TO ANYONE:
No videos. No playable builds.

EVERY WEEK:
The Players all vote on who seems like a GHOST. This player is then kicked out of the compo, ghost or not.
After you're out of the compo, if you're not a ghost, you should post your game and make sad faces.

DEADLINE:
Variable.

END OF GAME/COMPO:
All games are posted and voted on, the way compo games usually work.
Any GHOSTS who still remain are automatic winners. They get cookies.

WORRIES:
Being a ghost might kind of suck if you actually want to make a game. Maybe the person setting up the random rolls for GHOSTS vs MAKERS should accept volunteers to be GHOSTS? You should only enter the compo if you are prepared to be either GHOST or MAKER, though.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 07:25:37 AM by Droqen » Logged

Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 07:41:49 PM »

It requires much refinement, but the seed of the idea is interesting.  The only real problem is that being a ghost would definitely make sad faces if the mock-ups are truly astounding.  Cry

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 07:43:59 PM »

GENIUS.

Do kicked out players still continue, but not have a chance of winning, or what?
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 07:44:47 PM »

Kicked out players may feel free to continue but they are no longer part of the compo, or part of the game.
They are not allowed to win.
They can have sad faces, however.

):

(oh and of course at that point they are free to put their game up as much as they like)

Dragonmaw
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 07:52:30 PM »

This is the best idea.
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 07:57:28 PM »

I am cool with this, but:

I suspect people would take it a bit more personally to get booted than they might in an ordinary forum game, especially when they've been working hard on a project and everyone essentially states that it is likely vapourware  Well, hello there!

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 08:00:17 PM »

Hahaha

Well, they can still carry on with the game! And they might get a lot of exposure too, who knows :3 ... inside tigs, anyway >_>

(besides, since they don't post a playable build, there's not much offense you can take aside from 'this looks too awesome to be real', 'this looks so awesome that i'm gonna kick you out so that i win instead of you', or 'you did not post very much or your game somehow looks really fake in screenshots')

edit ::

I wonder how to deal with drop-outs though
it's bound to happen!

Squiggly_P
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 09:08:12 PM »

That is an awesome idea. What would really suck, tho, is all the ghosts would end up making fake games that looked really awesome, and then we'd find out they were fake and everyone would be sadface. It does sound like it would be fun, tho. I like any idea that has an element of subterfuge and deception.
ink.inc
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 09:45:40 PM »

There's the possibility of a sort of a meta-game in this compo too... talk about your fake game on your facebook/twitter to make it seem more real.
Kuppo
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 10:02:02 PM »

For what it's worth, I'M IN. Hand Thumbs Up Left Lips Sealed Hand Thumbs Up Right
Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 10:08:37 PM »

The prize for a winning ghost would be to finally get to start making the game they've been making mockups and assets for over the past few weeks.  Grin

Parthon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 10:17:26 PM »

I'm in too! This compo just sounds like too much fun not to be a part of it. :D
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 10:26:12 PM »

Here is a plan:

Since there's a lot of interest right now, I will accept 6 players (or 6 teams?) for a... 15-day compo with voting every 5 days, starting Nov 15. Sound alright?

There will be one ghost. (or ghost team, gasp)

I'll... make a post on the Compo forum I guess. Why am I suddenly running so many things

Markham:

Wouldn't it be wonderful? :D

Ashkin
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2010, 12:00:48 AM »

Yes.
SIGN. ME. UP.
I need an excuse to make a game.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2010, 12:14:20 AM »

I think that ghosts should not be prohibited from actually creating their game that they've been hinting at. However, they should only actually make the games after they've been eliminated. In other words, they can make all the mock-ups they want, but until they are eliminated, they can't actually start on the programming side.

This'll let people who actually want to make a rad game with their mock-ups work on it, while maintaining the theme of the compo.
Akari
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2010, 12:20:28 AM »

How about 21 days, 10 players, and voting every three days? That is, if there is enough interest.

Anyway, I'd be interested in joining.
The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2010, 01:32:07 AM »

Droqen the king of werewolf makes a werewolf game about making games

yes those are erections in my pants
ink.inc
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010, 01:34:22 AM »

yes those are erections in my pants

surely you dont....

no... surely he....

but that would...

THATS IMPOSSIBLE
The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2010, 01:37:11 AM »

im the king of monsters
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2010, 01:40:57 AM »

how about ghosts can work on their game but nothing they show can be from the actual game running - so they can have all the assets (mockups sprites etc) they'd normally be making as a ghost anyway, but they'll have to manufacture screens from those assets even if they have a running game? This way they can make their game but still not post any actual screens from the game, and can keep up the farce by posting mockups of things that are not/will never be in the game...?
also they'll still not be allowed to post any actual problems they run into.

essentially they'd be allowed to make the game but would still only be allowed to post the assets they'd be making anyway even if they weren't making the game...and they'd be forbidden from posting their game or any actual screenshots until the entire game/compo is over

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic