Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 07:09:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHat Simulator
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Hat Simulator  (Read 10686 times)
Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« on: November 11, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »

PROGRESS UPDATES
November 15

DETAILS (Probably outdated, check progress updates above)
A fun little side-project I'm doing just for the hell of it. I talked about this a tiny bit on the irc so some of you might recognize this. In fact I still have your hat ideas saved so don't worry about it Wink

SO here's how it's gonna work, you have this little guy who runs around an empty screen. Every once in a while though ... he will randomly acquire a hat! What do these hats do?

Well, that's where things get interesting. The hats can do literally anything, from looking fashionable to making a weird little minigame pop out of nowhere.

Now, here's where you guys come in. I want you to suggest hats. Go crazy.

No, I'm serious. You can suggest anything and I'll at least attempt it. Here's an example of hats that I want to add:
-A red cap that makes blocks appear. Suddenly you can jump. Hit the blocks to get coins ... or maybe even a mushroom! The catch? Mushrooms make little purple elephants appear that can take away all your coins. If you get a certain amount of coins you win the golden hat!
-A tower of hats that go offscreen. You have to balance them, if they fall the hats die.

Also, hats will stack, so if you get one hat you can get another one too. Right now I'm only doing this for cosmetic ones (Like the stack of hats that can disappear forever) but in the future I might add crafting ...

Yeah, I'm crazy Big Laff anyway suggest hats plz

ALL HAT IDEAS POSTED ITT
KEY:
Hat ideas I plan to add in the first update
(Others will eventually appear, so don't worry)
This hat is finished

---Inanimate---
Octopus hat - Screen fills with water. You have to get the air bubbles to live!
Fedora - You get a cig at the same time, and have to catch the running crook before he gets off the screen.
Russian furry cap - It's cold! Stay around the brief areas of heat to stay alive.
Pike helm - A line of soldiers appear around you, and you have to stay in line (don't touch them)

---John Sandoval---
Fezzes

---mokesmoe‽---
Team Fortress 2 hat - nothing changes.

---Paint By Numbers---
Hat of Cubbins - Self-replicates.
Alternate fedora - Makes you enormously fat and gives you a trenchcoat. Speed significantly lowered.
Great flower hat - Fills the screen with a slowly growing and unfolding garden. Also makes ambient music play - think Knytt and Knytt Stories-type beautiful nature sort of thing.
Viking helmet - You're on a severely rocking ship! The screen sways from left to right, lightning splits the sky, and a man bundled in the heaviest furs and carrying the heaviest hammer roams the bloody seas!
Inverted Cross hat - For all your black metal needs! Huge, imposing, pitch-black and dripping with crosses, pentagrams, bones, and blood!
Pope hat - Sit on a chair and don't move. People come to carry you around and, if you press Z, they bring you randomized treats like cookies, cakes, etc.
Terrifying skullcap - For some reason, this thing just looks nasty. Any NPCs left around from previous hats will scuttle/scamper/jog/mosey away in complete fear, utterly intimidated by the horrid thing. Why even wear something like that, you dweeb?
Candy bar hat - A ridiculously large deluge of candy bars falls from the sky. Soon you're literally swimming in them. You'll never be able to eat all these - better put on another hat.
Snorlax ears - Like bunny ears - just little ears on a flexible, curved stick. You grow hugely fat and gulp down everything you encounter! Sadly, you don't have a lot of control over where you move, being unconscious.
Army hat - With an adorably useless peashooter, you too can serve your country, soldier! Contains mandatory thousand-yard stares, senseless gibbering, and hiding in the trenches that appear on the screen. If you're a real man, you'll go up and shoot! If you're a coward, you take that stupid hat off.
"2000!!!" - Some obnoxious hat from a turn-of-the-century party. It's tacky and ugly and made out of some flimsy paper. Gives you an over-the-top party costume. By pressing Z, you blow a streamer! Confetti rains from the ceiling, music plays, and silhouettes dance around.
Fake liberty spikes - Time to fuck shit up! You get a spray-paint can that lets you tag stuff all over the screen (the background's replaced with an urban wall). Maybe now you can really stick it to the man.
"Other" Pyramid hat - You can't even see with this thing on. Lug around a Giant Knife and stalk people relentlessly, or at least until you can't possibly carry these heavy objects anymore.
Crown of Thorns - You're on the Cross, fighting against the pain to save humanity's souls. It hurts an awful lot. Press Z as fast as you can to not pass out! If you do, all of mankind is damned!
Antler cap - The spirit of the wilderness is contained within this mystical oaken crown. Carry around a wooden staff and watch as trees spring out of nowhere, filling the screen with dark greenery. Deer and other small animals come to prance around you. If you feel like it, press Z to mount one and ride around.
Devil horns - Maybe being damned isn't so bad after all! Carry around a whip and hit any NPCs left from other hats. You can sprout bat wings a la Meta Knight to fly. Your mother sucks cocks in hell! And with this hat, so can you!
The Independent Games Hat - TIGS logo planted atop a small, unobtrusive brim. This hat allows you to spin a wheel and summon any hat inspired by indie games, which then replace the TIGhat.
Quote hat - You can take on any doctor in the world! Polar Star in hand, Mimigas trailing after, you're the unstoppable Quote! Or at least a guy with his hat.
Nurse hat - Speaking of medical personnel, have a little nurse hat, complete with a red cross! This doesn't actually do much, besides allow you access to hospital medical stores. And hey, speaking of access to medical substances...
Marijuana hat - It's actually just a big cardboard pot leaf connected to a headband. Its creation was just as lazy and relaxed as you'll be when you put it on! This one comes with hippie hair, glasses, small beard, complimentary joint, and ironic competence at very complicated fields. Effects include slowed speed, decreased stress, and reefer madness.
Beefeater helmet - Pressing any direction key when it's not the Changing of the Guard will result in your expulsion from the guard and the loss of your hat. If any NPCs are next to you, however, you are allowed to punch them. Schedule and Changing of the Guard happen in realtime and are not sped up.
Trucker hat - (has this been done already? apologies, if so) Awwww yeah. Drivin' a truck around anywhere alllll over America. Not a care in the world. Boy howdy!... Oh God, it's lonely and boring! Take the hat off and get the hell out of the truck!
Doctor band/light thingy? you know what I mean 1 - oh no, the patient is dying! Play a short Trauma Center-esque game where you extract some terrible parasite from the patient's intestines using the mouse to control.
Doctor light 2 - this one is larger and brighter. The minigame is a combination between Doctor Mario and Tetris, where you must fit in as many pills with varying sizes and lengths as possible to combat viruses.

---RCIX---
Car hat - A small car pops up in front of you and you get to run around in it really fast till you find another hat.
Khaydarin Hat (if you don't mind doing a Starcraft ripoff) - A giant blue crystal hat. You gain glowing blades that you can slice endless streams of Zerglings into bits with Smiley
Metahat - A hat with a scene of someone wandering around looking for this hat on it. *Cue explosion of universe*
Winged Hat - You can fly now! Good thing, because you're getting shot at from the sides of the screen.
Pyramid Hat - A hat that summons a giant sandstorm that blasts you into atoms slowly, unless you have the Turban Hat
Turban Hat - Protects against a variety of sandstorms. Smiley

---Peter---
Olive branch - sit in a throne and watch two gladiators duke it out. Decide whether the victor lives or dies by going  Hand Thumbs Up Left or  Hand Thumbs Down Left.
Frankenstein hat - Do the monster mash in a DDR minigame.
Top hat + monocle  Gentleman - Adds a silent film effect and ragtime music for a few seconds.
Beret + cigarette - The screen goes dark, save for a spotlight on the character, and you have to recite some beat poetry.
Hockey mask - Chase some teenagers with a machete.

---Droqen---
Maybe some kind of straw hat that lets you plant a seed that will slowly grow into a tree over the course of the game.
It will be a hat tree

---Zaratustra---
A bottle of milk - Just a bottle of milk that sits on your head. If you move around too fast, it will fall off and you'll lose it. But, if it hits somebody when it falls, they get milked.
Bunny ears - give you a little more spring in your step.
Cat ears - Less fall damage (if that is included in the game) So not furry.
Vampire - you can sap life from others using this hat. 25 health can be sapped from one player max.
Diaperhead - A diaper on your head, that adds 15+ max health.
So not a ripoff - A hat that looks like it was stolen from TF2, and if you sell a hat to another player while wearing this hat, they will get a totally different hat.

---Valyou---
The Egg-Laying Hat of Big Boom - This hat lays eggs that can explode randomly, leading to the attacked players to drop their hats, where anybody else (or the victim themself) can pick them up.
Big Balogna - A hunk of ham as a hat. It makes you twice as heavy as normal, and you can hit people with your fat porky head.
Jack the Circular Lantern - A jack-o-lantern head. It can help light your path in the dark, and you can hit somebody with it (but once you use it, it's gone forever!)
The Gift That Sits on Thy Head - A gift that sits on your head. When you hit somebody with it or drop it, it unwraps into a random hat.
The Naughty Gift - A gift that drops coal when you run around too fast.

---Nugsy---
The Sneaker - A cardboard box. Makes you walk slower.
Umbrella Hat - Makes the screen rain, but it doesn't matter because you are adequately protected by the spinning umbrella atop your bonce.
Gimp Mask - Makes your vision smaller. Puts a ball and chain around your ankle.
Potters Spectacles - Allows you to fire off magic beams from your forehead.
Cat and the hat's hat:  make a mess everywhere

---JR Hill---
Do-rag: break dancing minigame
Soldier helmet: combat minigame
Ninja headband: stealth minigame
Raccoon hat: hunting minigame

---Kario---
combine-a-hat -combines two of each hats and only two to make a super hat.
DBZ HAT: special dbz attacks z for kamehameha x for galaic gun c for big bang kamehameha hat looks like DBZ in orange and red.
Black hat: turns off the sun and gives you sunglasses
Including names so I can add you to the credits.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 05:49:36 PM by Razz » Logged

ink.inc
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 09:17:49 PM »

Have you read this book?
Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 09:19:58 PM »

No, but it looks freakin fantastic

ink.inc
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 09:22:39 PM »

It's an old book I remember reading in kindergarten; the story was that this caps salesmen rode around town with all his hats on his head, trying to sell them. Instead they got stolen by monkeys.
Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 09:39:47 PM »

Sounds interesting John Smiley

Anyway, I know this is kinda trivial and I'd probably go with my gut on this kinda thing, but what the hell since I'm making this a community thing I might aswell ask you guys for your input on this.

So, which do you think looks better?

Leaning on the right because it looks a lot better in windowed mode (Which isn't stretched), but the soft palette of the first screen looks better in fullscreen (Game Maker blurs pixels in fullscreen).

Idk, probably gonna go with the right.

ink.inc
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 09:41:21 PM »

Look up ChevyRay's surfaces tutorial. It shows you how to get past the blurry pixels and keep everything crisp.
Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 09:46:45 PM »

Yeah, I tried that with my ludum dare entry, and I ran into a lot of weird glitches (Alpha values looked weird, some people getting weird glitches when they shouldn't, etc.) so I've been rather wary about it.

I think at some point I should definitely learn how surfaces work, because that would probably make it 10000x easier to implement Tongue

ink.inc
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 09:50:19 PM »

To be sure, surfaces aren't supported on a LOT of computers. You have to do a systems check in the Game Start event to see if the computer can/can't use them.

Aesthetically speaking, I like the desaturated one better. Easier on the eyes.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 09:53:57 PM »

I like left.

Here's some hats!:

Octopus hat - Screen fills with water. You have to get the air bubbles to live!

Fedora - You get a cig at the same time, and have to catch the running crook before he gets off the screen.

Russian furry cap - It's cold! Stay around the brief areas of heat to stay alive.

Pike helm - A line of soldiers appear around you, and you have to stay in line (don't touch them)!
Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 09:57:44 PM »

Holy cow, that's awesome Inanimate! I think I'll really quickly add a list of hat ideas to the OP. Also thanks for the feedback John, I really appreciate it.

Tomorrow I want to get a few hats done and probably get the title screen finished.

ink.inc
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 09:58:16 PM »

Fezzes
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 10:01:00 PM »

Team Fortress 2 hat - nothing changes.
PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 10:23:06 PM »

I hope you appreciate the time I put into finding this image, just for your thread. (I was thinking about it when you were talking about your game idea in IRC, but couldn't find it at the time.) In fact, I put so much time into finding this image that, rather than risk it being overlooked, I'm going to embed it directly.

Gentlemen, man your scrollbars.

Finished games: Manufactoria! International King of Wine!
And others on my site.
Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2010, 10:53:40 PM »

Fungus ... I am inspired Epileptic

RCIX
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2010, 11:20:06 PM »

Car hat
A small car pops up in front of you and you get to run around in it really fast till you find another hat.

Khaydarin Hat (if you don't mind doing a Starcraft ripoff)
A giant blue crystal hat. You gain glowing blades that you can slice endless streams of Zerglings into bits with Smiley

Metahat
 A hat with a scene of someone wandering around looking for this hat on it. *Cue explosion of universe*

Winged Hat
You can fly now! Good thing, because you're getting shot at from the sides of the screen.

Pyramid Hat
A hat that summons a giant sandstorm that blasts you into atoms slowly, unless you have the Turban Hat

Turban Hat
Protects against a variety of sandstorms. Smiley
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2010, 11:22:43 PM »

Hat of Cubbins - Self-replicates.
Alternate fedora - Makes you enormously fat and gives you a trenchcoat. Speed significantly lowered.
Great flower hat - Fills the screen with a slowly growing and unfolding garden. Also makes ambient music play - think Knytt and Knytt Stories-type beautiful nature sort of thing.
Viking helmet - You're on a severely rocking ship! The screen sways from left to right, lightning splits the sky, and a man bundled in the heaviest furs and carrying the heaviest hammer roams the bloody seas!
Inverted Cross hat - For all your black metal needs! Huge, imposing, pitch-black and dripping with crosses, pentagrams, bones, and blood!
Pope hat - Sit on a chair and don't move. People come to carry you around and, if you press Z, they bring you randomized treats like cookies, cakes, etc.
Terrifying skullcap - For some reason, this thing just looks nasty. Any NPCs left around from previous hats will scuttle/scamper/jog/mosey away in complete fear, utterly intimidated by the horrid thing. Why even wear something like that, you dweeb?
Candy bar hat - A ridiculously large deluge of candy bars falls from the sky. Soon you're literally swimming in them. You'll never be able to eat all these - better put on another hat.
Snorlax ears - Like bunny ears - just little ears on a flexible, curved stick. You grow hugely fat and gulp down everything you encounter! Sadly, you don't have a lot of control over where you move, being unconscious.
Army hat - With an adorably useless peashooter, you too can serve your country, soldier! Contains mandatory thousand-yard stares, senseless gibbering, and hiding in the trenches that appear on the screen. If you're a real man, you'll go up and shoot! If you're a coward, you take that stupid hat off.
"2000!!!" - Some obnoxious hat from a turn-of-the-century party. It's tacky and ugly and made out of some flimsy paper. Gives you an over-the-top party costume. By pressing Z, you blow a streamer! Confetti rains from the ceiling, music plays, and silhouettes dance around.
Fake liberty spikes - Time to fuck shit up! You get a spray-paint can that lets you tag stuff all over the screen (the background's replaced with an urban wall). Maybe now you can really stick it to the man.
"Other" Pyramid hat - You can't even see with this thing on. Lug around a Giant Knife and stalk people relentlessly, or at least until you can't possibly carry these heavy objects anymore.
Akari
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2010, 03:04:04 AM »

And here I was expecting a parody of America's #1 war-themed hat simulator, but I guess this is fine too.
Peter
Level 0

Under the tutelage of Randy Tutelage

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2010, 03:45:01 AM »

Olive branch - sit in a throne and watch two gladiators duke it out. Decide whether the victor lives or dies by going  Hand Thumbs Up Left or  Hand Thumbs Down Left.

Edit: Some more ideas

Frankenstein hat - Do the monster mash in a DDR minigame.

Top hat + monocle  Gentleman - Adds a silent film effect and ragtime music for a few seconds.

Beret + cigarette - The screen goes dark, save for a spotlight on the character, and you have to recite some beat poetry.

Hockey mask - Chase some teenagers with a machete.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 08:02:31 AM by Peter » Logged
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2010, 06:41:12 AM »

I really like Peter's idea. In part, this is because it does more than nothing but isn't actually a minigame!

Maybe some kind of straw hat that lets you plant a seed that will slowly grow into a tree over the course of the game.
It will be a hat tree

Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2010, 07:00:25 AM »

Graaagh! I had a staggeringly similar idea! Somewhat like Megaman meets the hat.
The concept, however, oughta be a show to see.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic