Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 07:07:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHat Simulator
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Hat Simulator  (Read 10693 times)
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2010, 08:30:57 PM »

It's funner if there are a thousand hats that most players will never find or see! Also, if you do end up implementing crafting, I would love to help combine stuff. Combining effects in games (e.g. Kirby, Megaman) has always been a dream to me. Glad an indie game is doing it. Smiley Oh, also:

Doctor band/light thingy? you know what I mean 1 - oh no, the patient is dying! Play a short Trauma Center-esque game where you extract some terrible parasite from the patient's intestines using the mouse to control.
Doctor light 2 - this one is larger and brighter. The minigame is a combination between Doctor Mario and Tetris, where you must fit in as many pills with varying sizes and lengths as possible to combat viruses.
Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2010, 08:39:44 PM »

Crafting is something I'm on the edge about. On one hand, it would be kinda cool to combine the hats to get a completely different hat, but on the other hand I think it would be really time-consuming to implement if I plan to get all these hats in.

I think I'll probably still add it in, because if anything I could only have a few crafting recipes at first; See, the way I'm gonna implement saving probably means I could update the game over time, which would be kinda fun.

In fact, I've already programmed it so hats won't stack, so I was thinking that you could just choose 2 hats, and fuse them together to create a new hat but you'll still keep the two hats you found. Doesn't make any sense but it makes things less complicated.

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2010, 08:54:41 PM »

Do it Kirby style. You can have some combos, and every other combo randomizes the hat.
Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2010, 09:00:10 PM »

Whoa, that's an amazing idea Crazy

Yeah, so I guess crafting is in! I think I'll work on prototyping that tomorrow.

Paint By Numbers, if you got any ideas drop me a PM! I'd make suggestions for it public but I think I'd rather keep the crafting combos a secret.

Valyou
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2010, 06:21:11 PM »

I have a quick rough draft for an invetory screen, that could be accessed on Esc or something.

Looks nice, even though I forgot to make space for the craft button and set that long bar there without any text.
And those hats set on the inventory are listed here.
Metal Tophat - Weighs you down more, and but you could jump off a ledge and make a mini-earthquake :O
Pyromaniac's Favoured Cap - Just burns and burns and burns. Also slowly gives mini-crits.
Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2010, 09:19:57 PM »

Hey valyou, I like the idea for the inventory! I've been thinking of streamlining it into one screen, hopefully it won't be as hard as I thought. Definitely using that for inspiration.

Also, (I think somebody earlier in the topic asked this, too lazy to check but I'm assuming it was you) I hate to be mean but networking is out of the question. I mean, it would be cool, but I lack the knowledge and the means to do it effectively. Maybe once I migrate away from Game Maker.

Anyway, progress update? Idk, today was fairly unproductive, was kinda depressed. I'm thinking I might stay up late so I can (finally) prototype crafting, but I also want to get a simple platform engine done, which might take a while.

Yeah and also I think I'm going with the idea I posted earlier. You run around exploring areas, and you can find hats both randomly (Just by walking around) and also by interacting with the environment. I'm thinking that I could have stuff similar to pokemon, like "Press Z when you see something suspicious" and so on.

And one last thing (Yes, I know this post is dragging on but bear with me) I think I might split the game into updates instead of spending forever working on this big huge project. This means:
A.) I don't have to spend forever working on the game without any hands-on input,
B.) I can work on other projects at the same time,
C.) If the game ends up being a huge failure I won't feel like I've wasted too much of my time, and
D.) It's funner that way, because then I could do Halloween updates n shit.

So yeah, I'm thinking first version of the game could have like 40-60 hats you find randomly, 20 you can collect, and I think 2 areas to explore, so it will still be pretty extensive. I feel like once I program the main engine it's simply a means of program your guys ideas into the game, which is where shit will get fun.

Anyway if I make any progress later tonight I'll probably post it tomorrow. I appreciate all the support I've gotten, means a lot to me.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 09:25:36 PM by Razz » Logged

Paint by Numbers
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2010, 12:01:27 AM »

Sounds good. I like the idea to make it really modular so that you can add hats easily.

I'll get combining hats soon.
Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2010, 07:58:10 PM »

Yeah, I've been really busy so I haven't been able to work on the game that much. Sorry! I'll post some pics tomorrow and write up a progress update if I can get my sorry ass back in schedule (Hopefully Beg)

kario
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2010, 04:44:04 PM »

this IS AWESOME!It's like a whole bunch of minigames rolled into one.
idea for a hat:
combine-a-hat -combines two of each hats and only two
to make a super hat.
DBZ HAT:special dbz attacks z for kamehameha x for galaic gun c for big bang kamehameha hat looks like DBZ in orange and red.
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2010, 05:21:05 PM »

Is this thing still going? If so, sorry for not sending a list of combination ideas, I'll get them done soon. Smiley
aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2010, 05:49:27 PM »

i remember this book. i loved it.

kario
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2010, 06:22:14 PM »

Is this thing still going? If so, sorry for not sending a list of combination ideas, I'll get them done soon. Smiley
Of course unless Razz isn't continuing any more i hope he is  Beg
maybe he's waiting for your update so he can top it with his! Grin
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2010, 06:25:19 PM »

Best concept ever.

Some ideas...

Cat and the hat's hat:  make a mess everywhere

Do-rag: break dancing minigame

Soldier helmet: combat minigame

Ninja headband: stealth minigame

Raccoon hat: hunting minigame

hi
Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2010, 07:08:01 PM »

Nah man, don't worry about it! Wink I kinda took a break for a while because I wasn't that motivated, but once Christmas is over I'll get my ass back in gear.

Adding your ideas JR Hill! It's cool too see that people are still motivated about this.

kario
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2010, 06:44:47 PM »

Wat about my ideas razz?
also:
Black hat: turns off the sun and gives you sunglasses
Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2011, 05:43:07 PM »

kario, I'm kinda in a rush, so I'll add yours later once I'm free. Sorry about that Wink

There's been a change of plans ... well, not really, but it's still a "change" so I think I'll make a post about it; I'm sorry for the lack of updates btw, I will admit that I've been kinda lazy.

Anyway, where was I? Oh yeah, the change -- I think I've uhh ... bitten off more than I can chew, so to speak. So basically, here's the plan:

I'm going to divide the "to-do" list in half, the first half will be the first update, and the second will be the uh ... second update. After that, I'll start throwing in the other ideas that you guys listed. The reason being, is that I want to work on my other games and still look like I'm making progress with this one. Foolish, I know, but hey I like to think that I'm being productive Durr...?

Oh and btw, I tried hard to make sure that at least ONE of your suggestions will make it into the first 2 updates, but I think a few slipped under the radar. If they did, just tell me, and I'll add you to the list and/or make sure to make your suggestion red. Actually, I should probably go through the list real quick and check ...

EDIT: Yeah, I didn't leave anybody out. Woo.
Also -- Added your ideas, Kario. They're pretty good! Smiley

I'm also considering re-working the graphics and implementing Matt Thorson's Grandma Engine. Anyway, that's about it.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 05:49:05 PM by Razz » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic