Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 03:37:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsUnite
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Unite  (Read 1010 times)
Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« on: November 12, 2010, 07:24:20 PM »

Hey TIGForums! I'm new here but I figure my first post can be my DevLog for my current game that I'm planning to complete soon.

To save some time explaining the game, it's much easier to show what I have done so far:

Unite early gameplay video

So basically the goal is to keep uniting these colored sockets with the pieces that you get. Right now the main gameplay is all there, but I'm having a bit of trouble polishing it up any further. Right now I'm in need of audio, both SFX and music... I can "sort of" make them myself, but I'm really interested in getting someone else to do these, as that isn't really my strong department.

Another problem I'm having is that the game just isn't screaming "fun" to me. After a lot of playtesting I feel that the game is a bit tedious, and while I can play it for 10 minutes nonstop, it eventually just gets boring doing the same thing over and over.

I'm open to suggestions on what I can do to improve the gameplay. Right now the powerups (that aren't really visible in the video) help to alleviate a bit of the repetitiveness, but it's just not enough. I really would like to finish this game and sell it at some point, but I just don't think there's enough to warrant purchasing it.

I've considered maybe reducing sockets to be two-toned, which would make them easier to match up, but also possible adding in the need to rotate the moving pieces to match up... I'm not sure if this would increase the fun by much though, or if it would just make things more difficult.

Either way, I'd love to hear some feedback and any ideas as to how I can make the game more exciting. Thanks!

ink.inc
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 07:30:34 PM »

So the gameplay in this game consists of matching your cursor to the correct group of blocks?
Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 07:33:32 PM »

Pretty much. You can speed up the moving pieces by holding the left mouse button. By uniting the pieces quickly you can build up combos to get a higher score.

When I developed the game I was sort of trying to use other casual puzzle games as inspiration. Games such as Bejeweled and Tetris which have really simple rules but are addicting to play.

edit: also some other things... As you unite more sockets, more will begin to appear on the board, until there are dozens and dozens of them, so it really becomes challenging to unite the right ones. The pieces that move with your cursor are also constantly moving toward the center. If you don't unite the pieces to the correct socket in time, it counts as a penalty.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic