Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:35:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs Super Space Dinosaur: Laser Rocket Challenge (yes, it's a working title)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Super Space Dinosaur: Laser Rocket Challenge (yes, it's a working title)  (Read 1849 times)
bnhw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: November 13, 2010, 06:30:53 AM »

Sorry about that.

It's 65,000,000 BC: the Earth is on fire and the dinosaurs are being wiped out in their masses. Being one of the more enterprising dinosaurs, T-Rex decides to take a rocket launcher and propel himself into space to escape all this hideousness. Fly, escape and blast your way to the heavens.

--

I've decided to have a go at making this using JavaScript and SVGs, but I really have no idea how well it'll perform. I guess the fun is in finding out, right?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 03:55:46 AM by raggy » Logged

@bnhw on Twitter
Sushi Snake blog/site/buy
bnhw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 03:37:54 AM »

It's been slow progress until recently since I've been out getting a proper job (hooray!). However, I've set up a repository on github to house the engine as I work on it, which you can view here: https://github.com/raggy/chomp/

At the moment, it really doesn't do much that's very gamey. I am happy, however, with the general layout of the engine. Game objects are split up into components. Each component can subscribe to named events. Now, the events could be obvious things, such as keyboard or mouse interaction, but also less immediately-obvious things such as timers. In this way, a timer could be used to implement the main logic update.

I've also done some work into a basic SVG path-animation tool to use for the game. I'm trying to keep it as bare-bones as possible (since it's proving to be quite a lot of work). The basic idea is to import an SVG, which will then become the basis of the animation. From there, I can add named animations (e.g., "run", "jump", "stand") and, by moving the cursor along the timeline and moving the path nodes, create animated vector art. I'm planning to use a custom format for exporting the animated vector art, though, which uses JSON for simplicity and will tie into the engine nicely.

@bnhw on Twitter
Sushi Snake blog/site/buy
Lizardheim
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 06:12:56 AM »

You have to keep that title.
It's aswesome.
Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 05:43:48 PM »