Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 04:55:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSpace Station
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Space Station  (Read 5626 times)
iPope
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2010, 10:14:20 AM »

Will the eventual game allow you to see inside the modules, like a cross section? I think that would make the game much more visually interesting even if the graphical representations of things were incredibly primitive.

Seeing dots drawn on what is clearly the outside of the station just seems confusing to me.

Absolutely possible, in fact it was already being considered. I'll try it out and see if I can make it work.

iPope
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2010, 06:02:48 AM »

Starting to add some game play to my game, first off modules can now do stuff. These are test modules, that produce 10 cash per turn, displayed at the bottom without using a font (too lazy to write a font manager so I just used images). You can also see it gltiching out because I don't check if it's over the maximum amount i can display and in the end just throws it out on the end. The game is holding up pretty good, the cash drawing routine can be really easily optimized which should push out some more speed. Now to to jump into the lions den and write some path finding!

The modules work by adding tasks to a global stack which are then processed by handlers. At the moment the only one is money, which adds and removes money. It will take about 5 minutes to add a build task, which adds a remove money task and an adds a module. Fun fun fun.

iPope
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2010, 03:27:17 AM »

I just wanted to post and check in to say that I am no longer seriously ill (I have been for the past week) and work will commence on this after Ludum Dare.

TheSpaceMan
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2010, 05:36:52 AM »

Glad you are feeling better.

This thing looks awesome.

So what resources and modules are you planing for the game?
These are the ones i found while reading,
Living quarters (need space for austronauts)

Cash, (to build, couldn't this just be materials, makes more sense, the austronauts themselves shouldn't really have to worry about cash right?)

Power (To make the cash/material producers work?)

Food? (Just read that supplies are needed, counted this one in here)

Theses are the ones I could suggest.
Reseach (To allow new materials and modules?)

Space dock (Can maximum get X new austronauts per/ship docking station?)

Debris Repelant (Debris come flying randomly and does damage to sectors, the module nudge them in a new course or blow them out of the sky)

Hydroponics bay (To grow food, but could also increase the growrate for you space fungus)

Edit:
If you have no control over the AI but total control over the station maybe it should be possible to toggle, locked/unlocked states of doors. To be able to direct some flow of the station. Or atleast set the priorities for the austronauts at some level.

Follow The Flying Thing, my current project.
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=24421.0
iPope
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2010, 02:17:40 AM »

You pretty much reached into my brain and ripped out most of my ideas there. You will be able to block direction in the station, as to let astronauts not into certain areas, e.g they are not powered.

Pemanent
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2010, 09:26:01 PM »

I really like this idea! Excited to see it continue! Good luck man.

iPope
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2010, 06:38:48 AM »

Christmas is over so it is now time to go back to work! Here is a list of what I am working on right this moment:

Selecting Modules from GUI
Cursor modes in the GUI
Showing name of module when hover
Showing inside of module when hover
Connection System

It's a lot but I am making some progress, stay tuned!

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic