Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 10:06:31 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsWonder(The Evil)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Wonder(The Evil)  (Read 1816 times)
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: November 15, 2010, 02:05:17 AM »

Wonder is a new RPG Single\Multiplayer "engine" or "Maker" programmed in DirectX and C++.
For the purporse of developing the Wonder, I have decided to develope it while working on the first game using Wonder, called "Wonder: The Evil".
Wonder: The Evil is a very short game that could be played either as singleplayer or multiplayer.
Currently I only have multiplayer supported, but you can run a server+client on your PC and it will be as if it was single player. Implementing the singleplayer only shouldn't be too much of a hussle.

I believe I will post here new screenshots, new features as I make progress, and will have discussions, feedback happening over here.

If you have questions or want to say anything related to Wonder or Wonder: The Evil, please do.

Master of all trades.
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 02:07:57 AM »

I am making here another post, I hope it's ok in this kind of thread. Also, whenever I write a message which is too long, the text area box doesn't scroll properly.

The first image I am going to post here is inside "The cave of despair" in Wonder: The Evil. It also shows the new chat area, which is a lot more compact and a lot more suitable for chat.

Master of all trades.
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 11:45:27 AM »

Interesting! How is the multiplayer going to work?

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 09:02:59 PM »

Well, the game is tile based, and player move in a "Rogue like" fashion. That means everyone move one step at the same time.
However, unlike rogue where the game waits for the player to move, in Wonder every turn takes 0.8 seconds. If you didn't select a move by that time, you won't move while all the others will.

I am also thinking of doing a "rogue mode", so there will be a single player mode where it plays similar to rogue.

Hope that answers your question.

By the way, I have already posted some other screenshots, information and video over here. But they were all over the place.
If you want to see more stuff(maybe to make this issue clear), you can take a look at:

http://www.indiedb.com/games/wonder

Master of all trades.
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 04:52:40 AM »

So... I have been grinding my teeth the last few days on OpenSSL. A lot of little misunderstandings, like forgeting calling initalize functions and wondering why nothing works. Luckily I can always blame the poor documentation of OpenSSL.
Anyway, I got OpenSSL set for a reliable asymmetric cipher communcation. After completing that, I was able to also make a UDP based symmetric cipher communication.
I was glad to see how my game ran exactly as before, only now all the communication is encrypted.
But, why did I encrypt the communication? Well, I wanted a log in system, which requires a user name+password, and of course that requires transfering the password securely. It is easier to have all my communication encrypted and then as a bonus have the password sent encrypted as well.

I recommend against doing your own "creative" encryption. You really should use the known algorithms for that, ones such as OpenSSL use.
If anyone wants help with OpenSSL, or with ciphering I will be glad to help.

Master of all trades.
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 06:37:13 AM »

Some chibi evil cultist I made. I felt like doing this after the OpenSSL coding. I got an idea for that as an art work to show on the error dialog, to make users pay more attention. There was also supposed to be a warnning sign from behind.
Well, you can never have too much art work. :D

Master of all trades.
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 05:08:21 AM »

Testing low case for the tiny font. The chat is a lot more readable using the High case letters, but I need both high and low case.

Master of all trades.
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 12:48:54 PM »

I have been messing up with a new website for Wonder: The Evil. You can take a look at the WIP over here. I will be glad to get some feedback:

http://www.rivelund.net/

Master of all trades.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic