Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411517 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 12:31:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsJava4k 2011
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Java4k 2011  (Read 4747 times)
Notch
Level 2

Trying to forget 320x200 in favor of 320x240.

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2010, 11:26:39 AM »

Is anyone else here doing the Java 4K Game Competition thingie this year?

It's a compo where you make a game in java (as an applet) in 4kb or less, and it starts in just two weeks and two days. I usually enter one or two games every year, and it's always a huge pile of fun. These days when all the games have to be playable as applets, it's also really accessible for players.
One downside is that a lot of the time is mostly spent working on compression, not doing clever coding tricks.

I'm considering entering two games this year, one demake of an indie game I really like (if you're reading this, thanks for letting me do it! :D) and one rather ambitious original game that I will probably fail to pull off.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 02:01:13 PM »

4k minecraft. Do it

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Sanojian
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 02:59:43 PM »

He already did it

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 03:28:03 PM »

Remember this day. the day moi got told.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Strom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 03:28:31 PM »

He already did it
Wow Epileptic

I might enter it , even if my java skills are limited

See my Assemblee 2009 2D and 3D work Here. My A Game By Its Cover compo entry Journal of Shikoku.
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 04:46:21 PM »

This IS tempting...

BoxedLunch
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 12:40:55 PM »

He already did it
i had a feeling that it would be that awesome...
Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 04:30:14 PM »

He already did it
Holy smokes My Word!
Toeofdoom
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 06:56:58 AM »

Sounds interesting to me, though I'd need to figure out JOGL or something as I haven't used proper graphics in java before. The games there are awesome :D

EDIT: well I've used J2ME but that obviously won't be available here.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 07:05:06 AM by Toeofdoom » Logged

OneMoreGo
Level 3

Stop looking at my chest

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 09:04:15 AM »

Very tempting, not used to trying to produce tiny things in Java.
Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 11:21:49 PM »

Been thinking about this a little bit, I like limited compos and I haven't had a serious attempt at a compo in a while. Some of the entries are pretty awesome, Minecraft 4k has its own software 3D renderer. I did a little decompiling to figure out how you did some of your craziness, I'm not sure if you wrote that little 3D engine yourself or not, but its pretty awesome. Also I like the way a segment of memory if shared between functions, very clean.

I did a dirty port of a Raycaster tutorial to play around with the 4k limit, seems without any optimizations I was able to keep my jar down to 3,580 bytes.

Play (runs at ~40fps on my beastly machine, so expect bad frame rate)
Source

The compo doesn't start till December 1st, so I'm not going to play around with this anymore so I'm not DQ'd Smiley But hopefully some cool stuff comes out of this.

Edit: Looks like Notch already did a Wolfenstein for 2005 with Dungeon4k and Hunters4k, so 3D is definitely entirely possible in 4k. I'm kinda excited to put something together now.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 08:50:41 AM by Cthulhu32 » Logged

Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 10:50:16 AM »

Played around with ProGuard and doing some super compression on a single PNG texture. All I really did was XOR the colors on the texture to get the other textures from the original example, I'm super stoked! Smiley I also dropped the res down to 320x240 and the texture res to 32x32 and it runs like a champ.

Play (60fps 3.8kb3.6kb recompiled for 1.5)
Source
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 11:44:25 AM by Cthulhu32 » Logged

pelle
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 11:58:24 AM »

That raycaster even managed around 15 fps on my ancient eeepc, so it isn't that slow. Looks really good. Or, well, it looks like some lame Wolfenstein 3D clone, but cool for 3.6 kB Java). You just need to add some actual game to it.

You should change to or allow arrow keys for movement though. Important. Smiley
Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 02:05:41 PM »

That raycaster even managed around 15 fps on my ancient eeepc, so it isn't that slow. Looks really good. Or, well, it looks like some lame Wolfenstein 3D clone, but cool for 3.6 kB Java). You just need to add some actual game to it.

You should change to or allow arrow keys for movement though. Important. Smiley

Yeah the game-components are not going to come until the competition actually starts (tomorrow). Right now I was just demonstrating how a 3D raycaster can be implemented at full speed Smiley The movement and turning calculations could be dependent on the current frame rate (to accommodate slower machines) but I might say screw it to save on some calculations. Also I might wind up not having time for this challenge at all, but I released full source if anyone else wants to play with this .

jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2010, 11:15:26 AM »

Cthulu32 I really like what you've done so far. Hits 60FPS nicely on my machine. Only problem is it seems to crash (both versions) pretty hard if I walk into walls too much.
Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2010, 08:58:26 AM »

Cthulu32 I really like what you've done so far. Hits 60FPS nicely on my machine. Only problem is it seems to crash (both versions) pretty hard if I walk into walls too much.

Thanks, all the math and texture lookups are from that tutorial linked at the bottom. I actually found the rest of the raycasting tutorials by that author, check em out:

http://www.student.kuleuven.be/~m0216922/CG/raycasting.html
http://www.student.kuleuven.be/~m0216922/CG/raycasting2.html
http://www.student.kuleuven.be/~m0216922/CG/raycasting3.html

The crash is a bug in the tutorial, where basically the rays do not actually check for an out-of-bounds on the texture look-up. So if you watch it in appletviewer -debug page.html, when it crashes you'll see an array out of bounds. I'll add a check to that eventually,I added a check so it won't crash anymore, I'm still not 100% sure if I want to go ahead and make a game from this because its really just a tutorial lesson and that probably would not be considered "fair".

Check out the latest release btw, I added floor/ceiling and sprites based on the final two tutorials, and its still under 4kb after I removed the back-buffer fill and the FPS counter. Calling functions in a Graphic takes up a lot of bytes o_o

http://cthulhu32.kraln.com/java/RayCaster_Dec3/page.html
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 12:41:23 PM by Cthulhu32 » Logged

jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2010, 12:37:16 PM »

Heh, awesome. I love the little dudes.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic