Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:48:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignThe designer's workshop
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: The designer's workshop  (Read 105689 times)
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2008, 09:31:56 AM »

I think it might be interesting to discuss how to portray narrative through gameplay instead of through traditional means (like cutscenes and dialogue sequences). We could come up with a little storyline and theorize different ways the player could play through it instead of watch or read it.

(and I'm sorry if this has already been discussed. I'm new around here)

Yes; I'd love to discuss archaeological storytelling techniques, as well.
AndyWiltshireBPA
Level 1

BulletProofArcade.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2009, 01:39:11 PM »

Why dont we define some requirements, then develop a game design doc to suit.

i.e.

Platform: Windows PC Downloadable/Online
Genre: Arcade/Puzzle
Theme: New World Order

And from there develop some ideas or innovations, controls, objectives, story etc

redhades
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2009, 09:15:46 PM »

Attachment and partnership with an NPC

I've been playing some mainstream games recently, where I felt that I was somehow expected to get attached to an NPC and enjoy having him around to play. But that intention failed mostly, some games more than others. So I'm wondering what it takes to created an NPC that the player will get attached to, and sincerely want to partner with.
Luke
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2009, 11:10:50 AM »

I reflected on the topic just few months ago and a conclusion of mine was that characters have to be part of a choice and not part of a problem to solve.

I'm glad to iterate with you all on this, if someone is interested.

bye
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2009, 11:18:16 AM »

Yes, please do. Start a topic on that in this section and explain your point of view Smiley
Thanks!

smokingspoon
Level 0

Fran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2010, 05:48:21 AM »

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate topic .

But I'm wondering at the moment if it would be easy to have my/a game in two different language.  Well you see, I'd rather make my game in my original language (french) but also make it in english . Because to be honest , having it in english boost the chance to get it popular . Having it translated is not a problem , I'm just wondering if it's complex , especially if the game is a big one ( 6-8 gameplay hour(I hope)).

Check out my creations https://twitter.com/Smokingspoon
I'm also known as Xena.
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2010, 06:46:25 AM »

It depends on when you decide that direction. At the outset of the project, if you decide that you are going to have multiple translations, there are a couple of things you can do when planning to make the whole process easier:

Don't use any text in graphical assets. For things like Item shops and the like, consider using a symbol. Numbers aren't too bad though.

Create all your text boxes to dynamically sized. While not necessary, it might help as different languages take a different amount of words to convey the same meaning.

Avoid hard-coding any text. Keep all your text to external files and load them dynamically based off of what the user selects at the outset.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
smokingspoon
Level 0

Fran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2010, 07:22:29 AM »

Oh  Beer! Hand Thumbs Up Right ! Thanks for those info , I didn't think of the size and amount of word ( although I did analyse how they manage to do it on commercial game, from english to french. They often try to have the same amount of word, if not letter.) . And for the graphical assets , it shouldn't be to hard since the game take place in the real world . Smiley

Check out my creations https://twitter.com/Smokingspoon
I'm also known as Xena.
Friend
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2012, 03:00:29 AM »

I wish people stopped making bad shooters. Why are there so many shooters? Can anyone explain?

The cake is a pie!!!
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2012, 07:01:58 AM »

Holy Blast from the past!

There are so many shooters because shooters sell. Also it's really simple to get into. Also Shooters have taken up the torch for the state of the art for graphics, so the best quality of graphics are often represented in Shooters, this, despite protests to the contrary, is what often drives effort towards them.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Oskuro
Level 3

Coding in Style

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2012, 07:09:43 AM »

And so many of them are bad because they sell based on graphics and hype.

It's a popularity contest. Quality is secondary.

Edit: Sad

louisdeb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2012, 05:04:12 AM »

There used to be a post where some guy was raging because Kickstarter's with retro graphics got quickly funded 'just because of the graphics'.

Would be nice to have a sensible discussion / article on if (if so why) retro graphics are getting so much attention (to the extent that they may be selling better than equally decent games which don't have the same graphics).

P.S. I guess some people may have a problem with this suggestion, and fine. But if there's opinions either way then a proper debate would be good.
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2012, 08:54:42 AM »

And so many of them are bad because they sell based on graphics and hype.

It's a popularity contest. Quality is secondary.

Heaven Variant looks like its quality (besides graphics) is an improvement. It's not quite the Bullet Hells that people seem to go masochistic with, so that opens up for causal shmup players, as well as Einhänder fans.
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2012, 01:41:17 AM »

There used to be a post where some guy was raging because Kickstarter's with retro graphics got quickly funded 'just because of the graphics'.

Would be nice to have a sensible discussion / article on if (if so why) retro graphics are getting so much attention (to the extent that they may be selling better than equally decent games which don't have the same graphics).

P.S. I guess some people may have a problem with this suggestion, and fine. But if there's opinions either way then a proper debate would be good.

My guess is that retro is a part of gamer pride. We're getting older and a lot of people want to:
  a. reconnect with their roots
  b. play games that they know are good.
The movement is a part of games becoming respectable, or gamers wanting to feel respectable about being gamers. We all became gamers in our childhood, most of us, and pride in the past makes our current love for them stronger. Also, it's been so long since we've played good games like that we're kind of missing out. "Retro" balances the see-saw.
Oskuro
Level 3

Coding in Style

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2012, 06:12:03 AM »

I wouldn't go so far.

Retro graphics are "in fashion" right now, just as other graphical styles or game types were fashionable before.

I do agree, though, with the sentiment that it isn't entirely fair that some games get attention just because they are using the latest fashionable trend, but let's face it, the very same thing keeps happening every "fashion" cycle, so to speak.

I read that article complaining about retro graphics... And I think the writer misses the point. It's not retro-graphics' fault, but rather people just being sheep and going for the popular thing.

But, on the other hand, maybe this trend isn't that bad, as it forces developers to come up with something new and unique in order to break the mold and make something else the new "fashion" (Example, what Minecraft did for voxel engines), and in the grand scheme of things, that is positive.

louisdeb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2012, 08:33:19 AM »

Yeah I agree with Graham, (not that everyone else said something different) but that we're getting older and new big games are just trying to make big super realistic graphics where as really it's nice to take a step back.
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2012, 07:12:33 AM »

"Retro" is kind of like a giant fuck you to modern big-budget trends. It's kind of like saying, "this is what we like, and we're proud so deal with it." When you buy a retro game you are buying that feeling, the pride of loving what games are at their root for you, literally because we grew up in "retro" land, and because simpler aesthetics require more nuanced mechanics.

"Retro" trends because it's the easiest way to reconnect with that feeling. It's modern and it's about the past.
antoniodamala
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2012, 07:33:30 AM »

Hey guys, i know arguing about retro vs. new is cool and all, but what about the "upcoming topics" from the first page? ):
Friend
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2013, 05:26:40 AM »

Blink Blink

What if I wasnt raised with "retro" games and my first games happened to be some weird ass 3d ones?

The cake is a pie!!!
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2013, 12:24:04 PM »

What if I wasnt raised with "retro" games and my first games happened to be some weird ass 3d ones?

Using retro as a term is stupid just for this reason.  Early 3D Playstation games could be considered retro by now, so what's the 2D classics?  Super retro?  How about the really old Atari 2600 shit?

Describe your games by their contents, not by what era you're (probably clumsily) trying to copy. :p
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 12:29:15 PM by Udderdude » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic