Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 10:32:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTiedy - Tilemap Authoring Tool
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Tiedy - Tilemap Authoring Tool  (Read 2161 times)
dice
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: November 17, 2010, 05:48:51 PM »

Tiedy allows rapid, game-agnostic tilemap authoring that can be exported into a an easy-to-read, easy-to-parse format.

The motivation: My education is in programming, but I also use Photoshop professionally on a daily basis. Photoshop has by no means a perfect UI, but many people are familiar with it. I am so accustomed to and comfortable with the interface that I have previously used Photoshop as a level editor, where pixel colour mapped to game object. This gets unwieldily when you have more than a few tiles, let alone many. The plan with Tiedy is to take a small subset of Photoshop's UI and use it in a tile editing context. The contents of that subset will be determined first by my personal workflow (the features that I use) and then possibly by the suggestions of others.

Tiedy does not have a "clouds filter" or "dodge tool". It is not a pixel editor. The features Tiedy emulates are of a more navigational or conceptual nature. Examples of the UI features that Tiedy borrows from Photoshop:
  • Keyboard shortcuts for relevant tools (brush, fill, eraser)
  • Spacebar panning
  • Layers
  • Canvas resizing
  • Undo and history
  • Boolean marquis selection; radial marquis selection; floating selections.

The save format is currently a custom-made, plaintext format, but I am considering XML and JSON. Saved maps contain the coordinates of each placed tile, and associated the tile ID. For example, an single entry might indicate that on layer 2, at coordinate (22,66), there is a tile with the ID "brick wall 3". It is up to the end application (the game, etc. that is using Tiedy-generated tilemaps) to interpret this as it likes. Canvases, layers, and individual tiles can be marked up with arbitrary key-value pairs for extra data. For example, a single tile could be marked up with

signpost_text   ->   Welcome to Kakariko Village.

Tiedy can be loaded with multiple palettes. Palettes are essentially a collection of tile IDs, each paired with a graphical representation for use in Tiedy. Palettes take the form of plaintext data files that point to an adjacent image file for graphics.

The application is being developed in Unity3D, so Tiedy will be available for Mac and PC at minimum.

I have a full-time job; don't hold your breath. Wink

RotateMe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 07:14:57 AM »

Sounds nice, I think I might use something like that.

Tiedy can be loaded with multiple palettes. Palettes are essentially a collection of tile IDs, each paired with a graphical representation for use in Tiedy. Palettes take the form of plaintext data files that point to an adjacent image file for graphics.

Please support tiled images, where you'd just have to point to the image and specify the tile-size (and maybe offset, and edge-width). Being able to load them directly as images and specify those things quickly would also be more convenient then having to use a text editor and then loading the text file.
dice
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 02:49:03 PM »

Thanks RotateMe.

At present, palettes are specified via text file, but I agree with you; I will include a tool for creating palettes within the application. Palettes are designed for use across multiple maps, so the tool would still create an external palette file, but it saves us from editing text files.

dice
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 08:35:10 AM »

Implemented!
  • Marquee selection with add, subtract, multiply modes, and radial and aspect-ratio constrained modifiers.
  • Selection mask and marquee-drawing effects.
  • Magic Wand selection with the same boolean modes as marquee selection.
  • Layers and basic layer GUI.
  • Brush tool, fill tool, eraser.
  • Single palette TileBrush selecting.
  • Zoom and spacebar panning.
  • Selection inversion.

Next to be implemented:
  • Loading and unloaded palettes
  • Eyedropper tool, including Option modifier with painting tools.
  • Undo and history stack.
  • Draggable selections.
  • Move tool with floating selections.
  • Copy/Paste
  • ... Much more!

dice
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 04:58:06 PM »

I'm not dead! The company I work for has made special arrangements for personal/skunk-works projects on Fridays, so I've got a lot more time to work on this.

Recently implemented features:
  • Undo/Redo history stack
  • File browser for loading/saving files
  • Drag and drop layer interface
  • Movable selections
  • Move tool with floating selection layers
  • Eyedropper tool
  • Palette loading
  • Bresenham lines when holding shift

The tileset i'm using now is not nearly as nice looking as the old one, but keeping things symbolic stops me from frittering away my time making pretty looking levels Smiley

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic