Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 02:46:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRobot V Robot
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Robot V Robot  (Read 4325 times)
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: November 20, 2010, 04:56:45 AM »

Robot V Robot

Well, it's late and I'm tired as anything, but I may as well announce the first alpha release and get the thread started. I'm going to be working on this on and off over the next while, along with Prelude, and I'd love to hear what you TIGFolk think of it. Everything is a little rough around the edges, but for 3 weeks work with exams going on I'm happy with the result.

I'll clean up this OP tomorrow or the next day, I figured it was better to have you guys play it and this be messy rather than this not exist and you not play it.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 07:40:20 PM by Geti » Logged

Noel Berry
Level 4

Yarr!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 10:05:09 AM »

Wow, I love the graphical style you have going here. Very cool  Smiley

So far I'm really liking it. The AI seems to be pretty smooth, and I like how you can switch between units and such.

Looking forward to more!

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 11:46:26 AM »

Cheers Noel, I'm glad you like the AI even though it's still in its infancy. I'll try to keep the updates coming  Coffee

Oh also, some stats since 6 hours ago:
42,457 bullets fired
Global K/D: 1.04 (the range is 0 - 8 )
Victory/Defeat: 1.225
BinBots decommissioned: 625
Dummies decommissioned: 803

Looks like the Binbots > Dummies statement from elsewhere might be holding some water, but it could just be the extra dummy on Stage 1 getting their face shot in more often. I'll look into balancing the shotgun in the coming days, but keep the feedback coming.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 11:59:53 AM by Geti » Logged

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 12:04:27 PM »

Really funny game. I always wanted to do something like this (many controlled by ai soldiers on map, and ur steering only one of them). I think second robots are better than Dummies.
Make it not in browser Wink

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 12:19:31 PM »

I'll almost certainly make a projected version of the game once it's finished, but for now it'll stay embedded into the browser Droop I'd prefer it if everyone was playing the same version rather than various v0.3.45A and v0.7.21B's floating around, like what happened with N v1.2 on addicting games.

Glad you like it, and yeah, having many soldiers bustling around is half the fun Smiley

ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 12:23:53 PM »

I'll almost certainly make a projected version of the game once it's finished, but for now it'll stay embedded into the browser Droop I'd prefer it if everyone was playing the same version rather than various v0.3.45A and v0.7.21B's floating around, like what happened with N v1.2 on addicting games.

Glad you like it, and yeah, having many soldiers bustling around is half the fun Smiley
Y, second half is that half of them are your mates :D
and theyr exactly as powerful as you

PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 12:50:54 PM »

I love the atmosphere, the background mountains and grass/rock colors make me think of the rockies. All in all really promising!

I miss having w to jump though, spacebar felt really awkward!
Altemore
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 02:00:10 PM »

Nice game, it has fun factor already. Do you plan to implement any higher level control? Say being able to set team aggresiveness or such?
Reminds me of cortex command. Good luck with this  Coffee
Ashkin
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 02:06:36 PM »

VERY nice, Geti.
I will be watching this thread.
Hopefully it will get updated more often than Cortex Command Lips Sealed
VomitOnLino
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 06:51:01 PM »

Really really nice!

To be completely honest, I didn't care for prelude all this much as it was a bit slow-paced for my tastes.
But this, this I really really dig. Very nice I can see it going places - awesome places. I like the fast-paced pixel-carnage. Smiley

Also echoing the love for your lovely pixel-art. The backdrops and the trees are gorgeous.
Nice choice of color too, this probably also can be said for prelude.
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 10:14:51 PM »

@VomitOnLino: Yeah, Prelude isn't intended as zombie carnage but as more of a survival game, I figure we have enough games dedicated to slaughtering legions of undead anyway. Very glad you like this Smiley

I miss having w to jump though, spacebar felt really awkward!
Custom keybinding is coming soon, I just didn't want to delay the release cause of something so trivial.
Hopefully it will get updated more often than Cortex Command Lips Sealed
Hahaha, considering my impatience this is very very likely.

Do you plan to implement any higher level control? Say being able to set team aggresiveness or such?
Yup, the next development stage is going to be about developing the AI, and this includes a team's "game plan" for the enemy AI. You'll be able to choose modes per-actor like in CC as well. The enemy will probably choose a random "strategy" or "game plan" or whatever, to mix up the game each time, which will vary their overall aggression game-to-game. I might make it so you can set the enemy AI with custom maps or an options screen at some point, but not any time soon, I'm not sure how I feel about giving that sort of control to the player at this stage..

iPope
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 03:01:57 AM »

I've been following this since you started, glad to see it up for public. I'll give some feedback once I've actually played it.

ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 03:16:55 AM »

Make something that the matches will be longer, respawn or more soldier, positional figt ( dunno if there is in english this locution )

OneMoreGo
Level 3

Stop looking at my chest

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 07:02:50 AM »

Really very good.  Gentleman
RotateMe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2010, 07:06:34 AM »

Wow this is a lot of fun actually. Love the graphics and how little those lovely robots are. Any plans for level features, such as elevators, doors, traps, usable stationary weapons, healing zones etc? I think that would really make it a fun deathmatch game. Also somehow matches need to be longer!
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2010, 08:03:39 AM »

I like this, a lot, watching!

Lizardheim
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2010, 08:04:21 AM »

Man this game is fun, love the atmosphere it's giving of.
Keep it up!

Love those tiles btw, whoever made them must be very handsome Wink
Carlo Castellano
Level 0

Don't Panic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2010, 10:23:08 AM »

very nice game, just a bit confusing (at least for me)
sometimes I don't understand why I win eheh Smiley

[www.CarloCastellano.cc] musician, composer, sound designer
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2010, 06:39:11 PM »

Love those tiles btw, whoever made them must be very handsome Wink
Oh you cad Wink

Wow this is a lot of fun actually. Love the graphics and how little those lovely robots are. Any plans for level features, such as elevators, doors, traps, usable stationary weapons, healing zones etc? I think that would really make it a fun deathmatch game. Also somehow matches need to be longer!
There's a whole 70% or so of the game to implement yet, this is just the engine and map loading system Smiley

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2010, 12:22:42 AM »

So with all the hubub moving domain, I didn't get around to the mapmaking walkthrough Sad
However, Things have been going pretty smoothly with the switch Smiley If you notice anything broken, give me a bell on the support board or wherever.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic