Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 08:05:33 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingOddballs
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Oddballs  (Read 2921 times)
Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« on: April 23, 2008, 03:11:09 PM »

This is a student project me and eight other programmers made at our school, Media Design School. We finished it a couple of weeks ago and it's finally made its way onto the internet. It's our final project for the Interactive Gaming course.
We had 8 weeks total, including 2 weeks pre-production, and coded the game from scratch using C++ and DirectX 9 with no middleware.

It's a family-friendly racing game allowing two players to share the keyboard for a splitscreen game, or if you have one or two Xbox360 controllers, up to four player splitscreen. Any remaining balls will be controlled by the AI.

Note that we were a team of 9 programmers, not artists  Tongue but we did the best we could with what we had.

As lead designer of the project, I'm eager to know what you think about the gameplay decisions we made!

Download

here:  http://www.gamecareerguide.com/downloads/games/130
or here: http://www.mightyninja.com/oddballs.zip (direct link)

Trailer:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ty-fxP4qjKk

Questions, comments, feedback in any form (even negative!) is highly appreciated. Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 06:50:42 PM by Radnom » Logged

MightyNinja
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 03:25:10 PM »

Wee it's finally out Smiley  Hope it gives a little bit of entertainment, we had some...interesting....times making Oddballs.  Lol.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 03:29:30 PM »

Only members to that place are allowed to download. o.o

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 03:39:13 PM »

Sorry about that! If you tell me of a free host that'll let me upload a 130 MB file I may be able to get around that... not sure if I'm allowed to redistribute it but it can't hurt anyone  :D

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 03:41:55 PM »

MediaFire allows for up to 100MB. Can't you split it? Undecided
MightyNinja
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 06:46:35 PM »

http://www.mightyninja.com/oddballs.zip
Here's an alternative download for yah.
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 03:21:23 AM »

Radnom, what is the position you are seeking in the world of video games? I want to focus my feedback on the right elements. Smiley

Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 03:01:28 PM »

I guess I'm aiming for a designer/programmer position which covers a lot of ground, so pretty much any aspects of the game you can talk about I'd be eager to listen to!  Grin   I'm pretty sure other members of the team are eager for any feedback as well, so yeah, whatever your impressions are, we'd be glad to hear them!

Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 03:07:17 PM by Radnom » Logged

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 09:35:00 PM »

Rapidshare allows up to 300 MB.

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008, 05:08:34 AM »

Hey!
Sorry for the lateness of my reply, I'm quite busy these days. Smiley

Ok, so I tried the game and the first thing that struck me is that I spent most of my time falling off the track. I had a hard time learning how to use the controls in order to win. The input was simple but it's interpretation in the game world wasn't. You could say that I wouldn't have that much trouble with it if the tracks had walls but in my opinion, the problem lies in the gameplay.

I found the gameplay really shallow. All I could do is roll and jump and I felt like jumping was almost useless. I think the game would truly benefit from some advanced techniques, like corner cutting, speed boost, super break, drifting and elaborated bouncing effects (since the characters are in spheres). Of course, knowing that the game was done in a rush, it's understandable that you don't have that, but it would have been crucial to have at least one advanced gameplay move. Right now, it makes the game look repetitive and challenge-less.

I've played mostly on the first track and it felt a bit annoying that all shortcuts had been disabled in some way. It's important to let the player skip some challenges. Your goal as a designer is to allow this, making the player think he's smart because he found a hole when in fact it was intentional by the designer and the game is not broken when he uses this shortcut.

The speed boost sections on the tracks felt annoying to me. I feel that most of them give a good boost but I always seemed to end up in a position where I lost control of my sphere. Speed boosts are great if you have a long stretch but you have to make sure it's not too close to a curve, unless you are in a very advanced track. I think that the first track should not place these speed boost sections too oftenly and make sure they are always useful.

The directing arrow on top of my character annoyed me for two reasons. One, I should not need this kind of constant information in a racing game. There are very few cases in which this kind of constant hand-guiding is acceptable and I didn't feel like it was the case in this game. It felt like this arrow was added as a crutch to the fact that the map could get confusing. Now, I kow it's normal to have this kind of decision when the schedule is tight but this is really bad in pro games. Whatever you do, you have to make sure that every part of your game is solid on it's own, without using "cheap tricks" or adding a simple non-playable mechanics on top of it.

I thought the character design was original and that you guys did a decent job for the time you had. I felt it was unfortunate that the game you were developing was a bit generic but featured really interesting characters that could be fun to see in their own world. You know like, understanding where they come from, why are they stuck in spheres, why do they race, etc... Like, I wouldn't mind playing a game with these characters and play a racing mini-game in it.

Well, keep it up!
Take care!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic