Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 05:03:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsHiddenThe DromeValley of the DeadUnpaid WorkProbono Tester (looking to gain experience )
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Probono Tester (looking to gain experience )  (Read 1085 times)
TacoBell_Lord
Level 2

Burrito Connoisseur

View Profile
« on: November 26, 2010, 09:55:35 AM »

Hey, names Purple Hair Link, avid gamer. Lately I've been researching many articles on QA/Testing so I can finally "put my foot in the door" & enter the industry of video games. I would like to train my skill by testing any games you indie devs are ready to put out, it'll be great practice & when I feel I leveled up enough I can bulk my now slim profolio & resume.

My experience as a Tester is fresh so bare with me, it'll be cool if some can teach, I'm learning about bug reports, Excel, different types of testing, also terms & structure (of filling out reports).

Thanx for reading homies

RPG Gamer/Burrito Addict

Explore the Cosmos. Working on Project 88x doods.
dantheman363
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 11:05:43 AM »

Well, if you want...you could try testing my game (http://sites.google.com/site/extraterrestrialgrail/) and letting me know what bugs and inconsistencies you can find.

GZ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 02:53:22 PM »

I don't have anything that needs additional testing but I figured I'd throw some general things your way:

- Are you certain QA jobs exist in your area? This might sound dumb and obvious but usually only certain areas with high densities of game companies have such jobs.

- Getting into the game industry through QA is not as common as it used to be. I think this was more common when video games were an emerging industry, since no one had much experience in the field, and the next best thing to determine a potential developer was passion for games.

- Are you aware what QA entails? Deliberately trying to break the game and doing things people would typically never do can be tedious. So can finding the most compact reproduction steps for bugs and errors.

- If you are looking for some experience, these forums have a lot for you. Downloading any game posted here and trying to break it is pretty much all you need to do. If you find any problems, point it out to the developer. By doing this you will get better at finding reproduction steps, figure out more common errors, and exchanges with the developer will help you understand better the information they need when dealing with bugs.

TacoBell_Lord
Level 2

Burrito Connoisseur

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 09:40:43 AM »

Hey GZ, I up for a little Q & A lol

-Yeah I've researched using several finders such gamedevmap. A lot are indie companies with a casual gaming direction. I live in Queens (New York, NYC), on this peninsula that overlooks Manhattan.

-Everything is always changing, what is yesterday's tomorrow isn't necessarily today's so I'm always aware but QA Testing is still a entry level position. Best way is to always stay up with the times & Indie games are branching, Mods are still fresh so I have enough time & energy to buff my profolio + resume.

- Destructive testing + reproductive & repetitiveness. Also bugs in different grades, such as "A", "B", "C" and so on. I'm learning every day, while trying to improve skills in programs such as Excel, reporting, & invoking bugs.

-Thanks for the welcome! I'm running around IndieDb, ModDB, DiYgamer, IndiegamesBlog, reddit..you name it, TigSource is the dope & I bookmarked some DevLogs, stay on the design boards, etc. word

Thanks for the questions, kind've needed a little pop quiz dude. Hope i did well lol

RPG Gamer/Burrito Addict

Explore the Cosmos. Working on Project 88x doods.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic