Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:32:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[Ghosts&Makers] Ofuda Rancheros
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [Ghosts&Makers] Ofuda Rancheros  (Read 3511 times)
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 26, 2010, 10:18:51 PM »

Ofuda Rancheros will be a beat-em-up/kirby kind of game.  The aesthetic is 8-bit with elements shamelessly lifted from cyberpunk, spaghetti western, and Japanese shinto ideals.

-SOUND PROGRESS (60%)-

For music I have all the songs blocked out, but only the following are kinda done:

Keep On Shoppin' (a spooky place to buy your spirit goods)
Stage 1-1 : Master of Dudes
-Suspense!? (boss intro and some perhaps some story moments)
-You Died Somehow

Sound effects are now complete (and quickly too) thanks to the ever delightful SFX-R.

-CODE PROGRESS (30%)-

The latest news is Z-Plating.  It creates a 3D mesh, looking at the game from directly overhead.  This allows changing environments, certain effects, etc.  This combined with Props (I'll explain it some other day) should allow for a fully "3D" environment in a 2D world.

-ART PROGRESS (5%)-

This is Ashkin's department.  He's been a bit busy with teh schools as of late, so nothing new to report quite yet.  Once the engine and music is done, I may try to chip in.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 06:00:49 PM by Aquin » Logged

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
Ashkin
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 10:22:31 PM »

Okay, I'm on art (for some reason... I guess Aquin couldn't find anything better for me to do.)
I don't have any mockups, or much of anything, but I will share the font:

5*5 pixels per letter, although it still hasn't been organized for proper use. It will probably end up being viewed at *2 size.

I will post again when I get some eye candy going!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 12:53:17 AM by Ashkin » Logged
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 10:46:00 PM »

The idea is to completely mix the wild west with Japanese shinto myth in an 8/16-bit cyberpunk setting.

THIS GAME MUST BE REAL. IT MUST BE. I NEED IT TO BE. I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT IT.

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 01:54:42 PM »

Feel free about to talk about code, Sir Aquin.

However, don't post any actual code as that would violate some rules that exist to obscure one's GHOST OR MAKER STATUS.

I am appeased.

Ashkin
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 12:11:04 AM »

Pixel eye candy.
Caution: May cause your eyes to barf.
Also I'm currently compiling a biiig pile of items.
Also, since I'm here, I might as well post the main character so far:

A VERY W.I.P. title screen:

A vending machine:

And a box:

Blehhhh.
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 09:18:09 AM »

I got a few more songs cooking, hopefully I can post them in a few days.  I was pretty unprepared for the meticulous nature of putting it all together; I'm used to just playing my piano.

One nice thing about Famitracker is that it forces me to focus on the 'hummable' part of the tune.  Since people tend to think of songs as just one melody line, I gotta make that as catchy as I can.

Fortunately I finished Nanowrimo and another project, so that frees up some time.  I'll post some thoughts on the code framework once I get it going. 

Ashkin
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 01:05:14 AM »

Some more work:
Another building (these take a surprsingly long time to do):

Big ghost:

Medium ghost:

Small ghost (too small to be readable):
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 03:27:41 PM »

I just put up the song for the first part of Stage 1 (check first post.)  It's all still a bit rough, but it sounds about how I'd like it to for the moment.  As for the rest of the soundtrack, it'll be done by the end of today. 

Music TODO:
-Stage 1-2: Saloonion (Honkey Tonk Bar Fight)
-Stage 1-BOSS: Skelehorse-cycle Air Guitar! (looks like a shmup right now)

I'm also working on some filler pieces for the intro, dying, etc.

Code TODO:

Since this game is a beat-em-up (mostly), I have to worry about depth... kinda.  So I've been working with Flixel to get it all lubed for game insertion.  But who cares about the code?  Ashkin!  Give us some more screenie love!  Noir

Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 08:18:28 PM »

Put up two new songs, they're just intro/outros really.  My server is spazzing right now, so if they sound garbled give it a few hours (still trying to upload them proper.) Anyhoo, back to work.

Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 01:27:21 PM »

Order of the Day: Making A Dithered Shadow - COMPLETE

Why?

There are a lot of objects flying around in this 2.5D game.  Having Ashkin draw shadows for every single object is ludicrous.  Instead, I have a FlxSprite class called Shadow.  It registers each Actor (both enemies and interactive objects) in the scene.  Shadows are nice in a pseudo-3D setting, because it tells you where everything is and how it lines up in fairly clear terms.

What Happened?

I kicked out anti-aliasing and went for the old SGEN dithered look (think old newspaper shading techniques.)  The Shadow FlxSprite renders an elliptical shadow under each actor, floodfilling it with a dithered gradient.  The size of the ellipse depends on the size of the actor and his distance from the ground.

And it is now *working* and it's pretty fast too.  I'll be very happy to provide source code for all those out there making shadows too; the same technique can be used to create alpha shading, instead of dithered shading.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 05:38:48 PM by Aquin » Logged

Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 05:41:21 PM »

As for screenies, I'm hesitant to post programmer art just yet.  I'm gonna give Ashkin some more time before I get with the posting.  I also want to get my particle-based auras working (next item on the list.)

Are we gonna finish on time?  Maybe not.  Will we even still be in the compo?  I dunno.

But this game is happening.  Now I'm gonna go make me some glowies.

RotateMe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2010, 05:55:06 AM »

The shop and dieing music is just awesome, I clearly see the game before my eyes! Can't wait to see some screenies!
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 06:03:03 PM »

It's programmer art, still waiting on the real buildings.  I just have this mock-up to test the Z-plates.  Those little green balls are an aura effect that I'm tinkering with (not for the main guy, but for some other reasons.)

I doubt you'll get another screenshot soon, but Ashkin might post some of his art.  I know he's working on the animations for the main dude.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic