Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411498 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 08:54:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDiver (RELEASED)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Diver (RELEASED)  (Read 6993 times)
JeffWeber
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: April 26, 2008, 01:53:08 AM »

Diver is in an alpha state at the moment and many of the obvious things aren't there yet.

Here is a direct link for the impatient Smiley
It's a browser game: http://www.farseergames.com/Diver/DiverPlay.aspx 

Currently I'm looking for feedback on the following:

Game-Control Mechanic: The control is similar to Ski Stunt Simulator. Is it intuitive? Does it "feel" right?  Any suggestions?

Game Play Ideas: Currently I'm thinking the game will be a "Complete All Levels(Dives)" game. At the moment, to complete a dive you need to:
  • Use any and all diving boards.
  • Land between the buoys
  • Get a dive-score above 7.5.

I'm also thinking of a free-dive mode, achievments (are they over-done these days), and a running dive-score. Thoughts? Ideas?

Difficulty
Is the game too difficult. I know it takes a bit to get going, but is the learning curve to steep?  I do plan for some better practice levels but do you think that will be enough? Any other ideas to keep people from being put-off by the initial difficulty?

Platform/Requirements
Diver is a browser game built on the Silverlight framework. It requires the Silverlight 2.0 plug-in. (Microsoft's version of flash).  The game-site will prompt you to install it if you don't have it. The insall should be pretty pain-less just like flash.

The game should work on Windows XP or Vista using Firefox (not the 3.0 beta though) or IE or on a Mac using either Firefox or Safari (interested to get feedback from mac-users as I don't have one for testing.)

video and screens

Thanks,

-Jeff Weber

« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 02:51:29 AM by JeffWeber » Logged

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 03:12:01 AM »

What made the Ski Simulator so fun was the hilarious crashes, I think. You lose that in Diver. And Diver also has an extremely steep difficulty curve - I could never complete the first level. Seriously, this is hard.

moshboy
Level 8

i am the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 03:23:23 AM »

What is Microsoft Silverlight?

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 03:32:02 AM »

Meh, Microsoft's evil shockwaveish thing.

JeffWeber
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 03:34:14 AM »

What made the Ski Simulator so fun was the hilarious crashes, I think. You lose that in Diver. And Diver also has an extremely steep difficulty curve - I could never complete the first level. Seriously, this is hard.

Agreed.  My physics engine does support ragdoll, I just haven't got that far yet.  That should add some more interesting crashes but I get what you mean.

I am a bit worried about the learning curve. It is steep, but at the same time it is loooonnggg which I like. It takes a long time to master.

Thanks for the feedback.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 03:40:25 AM by JeffWeber » Logged

JeffWeber
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 03:39:39 AM »

What is Microsoft Silverlight?
It's Microsoft's competitor to flash/flex. 

X-Tender
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 04:23:33 AM »

First, I like games like that Smiley
Now some "bad" things that I discovered.

1. The Dive finish screen tells me "Level Complete" when I have a 7.5 Score, but I thought my score must be Greater then 7.5 Smiley

2. Its kinda Tricky to Land and jump of from the Diving Boards.

3. It tooked me a long time to find out the right technique to Jump of the Cliff, it would be easyer when the player gets a little bit more Boost to the Top the he doesnt collide with the Cliff so easy.

3b. Its kinda hard to see where his head/foots are when he make the loops. give him maybe a headband to identify his head during movement better. (I often to early opened my position and the dived with the foots ion because I thought that the foots were the head. )

4. Why Silverlight? =)

5. WOuld love some more Details (i know its WIP?!) Some flying birds and other nice stuff Smiley (Level editor?)

Good work so far, I like it!

e/: Ok .. i tryed the last level with the 2 diving boards for about 30 minuts .. maybe less, and its freakyin hard to master. I think the landing/junping part on the diving boards must get easyer. also more air controll. wenn I hitted the 2. board then I lost of the time flyed to far. also when I opened the Pose.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 04:55:21 AM by X-Tender » Logged

JeffWeber
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 05:14:05 AM »

3b. Its kinda hard to see where his head/foots are when he make the loops. give him maybe a headband to identify his head during movement better. (I often to early opened my position and the dived with the foots ion because I thought that the foots were the head. )
I'll give that some thought. It never occured to me.

Why Silverlight? =)
Simple. Because it's what I know. I'm a MS developer for my day job. I don't have a lot of time so I use what I'm most productive in.

WOuld love some more Details (i know its WIP?!) Some flying birds and other nice stuff  (Level editor?)
I have a lot of ideas, including flying birds and fish. I eventually want to do an online level editor with ability to save and share levels but that will probably be a ways out.  Currently I'm thinking of 60 or so levels: 20 single board levels, 20 2-board levels, and 20 3-board levels.  I'll probably target that and release then decide where to take if from there if anywhere.  For the first release I'll have things like ragdoll effects, damage sounds, better tutorials, and just general polish. Some of the more elaborate ideas will need to wait otherwise I'll be developing for years.

Regarding your last comment, the diving boards spring forces are fully adjustable so it's just a matter of tuning.

Thanks for the feedback.

X-Tender
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 05:23:24 AM »

Alright, I wait for your new Version Smiley

btw. I finaly made the last level \o/ Wink

bigbossSNK
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 12:06:12 PM »

Here's some tips:
-To backflip onto the board, follow the semi-circle seen in the tutorial. If you don't get a backflip, but a stumbling fall, try a faster or slower motion in your gesture.
-You can also backflip by moving the mouse from bottom left to bottom right, then arching to top left, bottom left and bottom right. Again, timing is crucial.
-Controlling your bounce is much easier when you land on your feet. Control your rotation speed (by coiling up and straightening) so that you land on your feet.

If you make a 3 step tutorial explaining the gestures AND the timing, the learning curve will be reduced dramatically. The difficulty beyond that isn't that great.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 12:08:07 PM by bigbossSNK » Logged
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2008, 12:07:05 PM »

Whoa, wait a second, you made Farseer physics? Awesome.

JeffWeber
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2008, 12:39:44 PM »

Here's some tips:
-To backflip onto the board, follow the semi-circle seen in the tutorial. If you don't get a backflip, but a stumbling fall, try a faster or slower motion in your gesture.
-You can also backflip by moving the mouse from bottom left to bottom right, then arching to top left, bottom left and bottom right. Again, timing is crucial.
-Controlling your bounce is much easier when you land on your feet. Control your rotation speed (by coiling up and straightening) so that you land on your feet.

If you make a 3 step tutorial explaining the gestures AND the timing, the learning curve will be reduced dramatically. The difficulty beyond that isn't that great.

Yeah, I think for the alpha I should have concentrated more on better tutorials. I'm considering adding some "Replay" functionality in the future. I could then use this to show the different gestures and timing.

JeffWeber
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2008, 12:41:17 PM »

Whoa, wait a second, you made Farseer physics? Awesome.

Yep, that's me.  Smiley 

Jimbob
Level 3

Not a Detective

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2008, 02:19:47 PM »

Love the concept, the controls are very tricky to begin with, the timing should definitely be emphasised in the tutorial. Maybe if it shows a mouse pointer doing the same gesture (plus the actual dive) and then you have to match its timing.

Some Bugs:
- You can actually make an error box come up if you are really quick on clicking after hitting the water. You both respawn and the score comes up. Then when you hit the water again with the box up -> error. Didn't actually die completely though Smiley.
- My feet seem to stick when they touch the very end of the board... its repeatable (as in it has happened more than once). It also 'unsticks' very quickly, but its definitely noticeable.
- This one I've not been able to repeat: I was on the fourth 'proper' level (the one with the pillar you have to jump over into the middle. I hit the board dived over the buoys and hit the second island. I pushed myself off that and hit one of the buoys (I think) and then shot directly up into the air. Luckily for me it let me land directly in the centre Smiley Dunno exactly how it happened though.

Last release: sync::routine
JeffWeber
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2008, 03:07:04 PM »

Love the concept, the controls are very tricky to begin with, the timing should definitely be emphasised in the tutorial. Maybe if it shows a mouse pointer doing the same gesture (plus the actual dive) and then you have to match its timing.

Some Bugs:
- You can actually make an error box come up if you are really quick on clicking after hitting the water. You both respawn and the score comes up. Then when you hit the water again with the box up -> error. Didn't actually die completely though Smiley.
- My feet seem to stick when they touch the very end of the board... its repeatable (as in it has happened more than once). It also 'unsticks' very quickly, but its definitely noticeable.
- This one I've not been able to repeat: I was on the fourth 'proper' level (the one with the pillar you have to jump over into the middle. I hit the board dived over the buoys and hit the second island. I pushed myself off that and hit one of the buoys (I think) and then shot directly up into the air. Luckily for me it let me land directly in the centre Smiley Dunno exactly how it happened though.

Hi, glad you like the concept. I agree about the tutorial suggestion.

Thanks for the feedback. The bug that through into the error is a known issue. I think it's my fluid physics.

The first bug you mention is new to me.  Good find.

I've seen the sticky diving board thing you mention. I think it's caused by the collison detection...  the feet are penetrating the board occasionally. I think that's an easy fix.

-Jeff

medieval
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2008, 09:21:57 AM »

Well it's a good concept, but seriously, the controls are a pain. How can I even jump forward far enough to reach the buoys (dive 5) when doing a backflip?
JeffWeber
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2008, 09:56:05 AM »

Well it's a good concept, but seriously, the controls are a pain. How can I even jump forward far enough to reach the buoys (dive 5) when doing a backflip?

You need to back-flip off the cliff, and hit the diving board near the tip. Then when you spring down, crouch and push off by moving your mouse down then up and too the right.

It seems impossible at some times, but trust me if you work on it for a while it becomes quite easy.  That, in my mind, is the great thing about this control scheme. It has a very LONG learning curve.

As noted in other posts, I think a lot of the learning-pain could be fixed with some better tutorials.

-Jeff

Massena
Level 4

Satisfied.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2008, 12:50:05 PM »

This game definetly needs some sort of in-depth tutorial, with video explanations and practice levels. Besides that I like it, it's kinda relaxing.
You might wanna consider giving the player some more control, to easen up the learning curve.

P.S.: I managed to get a 9.7 in the 3rd "proper" level.  Grin

edit: I also somehow forgot to say how perfect this game was, technically and graphically. Smiley
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 09:07:04 AM by Massena » Logged

Jimbob
Level 3

Not a Detective

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2008, 01:56:28 PM »

I managed to get a 10.0 somehow. Not that I'm bragging or anything. (Okay, maybe I am  Cool)

Last release: sync::routine
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic