Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 03:07:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsJupiter Taxi Bus
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Jupiter Taxi Bus  (Read 5213 times)
dice
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: November 27, 2010, 08:55:53 PM »

Work in progress!

Comments welcome. I'm curious to know if the xbox triggers work with other drivers.

(Taking a break from another project.)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 07:43:02 AM by dice » Logged

DangerMomentum
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 11:28:47 PM »

I really like this, but it's almost impossible with the keyboard. Don't have a 360 controller to test with. I managed to land on Westminster once but proceeded to murder every passenger on my way to the other end.

flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 03:24:06 AM »

The idea is very interesting, but you'd better refine controls, like the previous comment said. One note: on non-us keyboards, beside the 'l' key there isn't the ':' key.

increpare
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 04:49:53 AM »

I managed to pick up a load of passengers, but didn't get anywhere with them alive, and ran out of fuel.  AH WELL.  On a keyboard.  Was pretty neat, but yeah I didn't get a hang of the controls.
dice
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 05:49:20 AM »

I really like this, but it's almost impossible with the keyboard. Don't have a 360 controller to test with. I managed to land on Westminster once but proceeded to murder every passenger on my way to the other end.

The original lunch-time banter that inspired the details of this game definitely featured: "And you're continuously murdering everyone because the controls are so bad." Although pretty funny at the time, and perhaps funny in the game, I agree that it's not exactly fun. I'm going to have to put some thought into how to capture that same unwieldily feeling, but make it more approachable. Suggestions super-welcome.

[...snip...] One note: on non-us keyboards, beside the 'l' key there isn't the ':' key.

Right, good to know. Maybe it should be QWERT and YUIOP or something.... Or something totally different if the control scheme changes. It was also mentioned that the bottom three or four thrust levels are pretty useless.

I managed to pick up a load of passengers, but didn't get anywhere with them alive, and ran out of fuel.  AH WELL.  On a keyboard.  Was pretty neat, but yeah I didn't get a hang of the controls.

I'll have to make something happen when you run out of fuel... Or maybe not. Right now you just lose thrust capability, and you just have to restart manually. (Maybe fuel shouldn't really be a gameplay feature -- that gauge could just tick down reeeaaally slowly, and at zero, get refuelled.)

Also, increpare, I really like your stuff! Your development cycle inspired this very project, in part. Thanks!

dice
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 07:41:11 AM »

Here's a newer build that tries to address some of the control issues, among other things.

Jupiter Taxi Bus - Current Version

I've added drag and angular drag in the hopes that it will curtail spinning wildly out of control. Thrust and gravity have been increased to compensate. The older build still exists for comparison purposes.

Other things:
- Ship has a visible "up" so you can tell which way you're facing at high speeds.
- Version indicator for comparisons.
- Won't be asked to pick up people in spot you just dropped people off at.
- Made the "go here" pointer disappear sooner.

increpare
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 07:49:30 AM »

Oh this is way more controllable!

I never use anything other than the max power thrusters.
dice
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 08:06:11 AM »

Thanks!

I never use anything other than the max power thrusters.

Like, as a rule in life. Let's put it on a t-shirt.

knight
Level 3

aka dude4k

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 08:34:38 AM »

Unfortunately this doesn't work with my xbox controller, only one thruster is firring and it doesn't respond to my input the entire time. Thought I'd love to play this if it worked for me!
dice
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 08:52:35 AM »

Unfortunately this doesn't work with my xbox controller, only one thruster is firring and it doesn't respond to my input the entire time. Thought I'd love to play this if it worked for me!

Unity's input system receives input from each of the xbox controller triggers as an axis, and the driver I'm using (http://tattiebogle.net/index.php/ProjectRoot/Xbox360Controller/OsxDriver) maps them to axes #5 and #6. What I probably need to do is figure out which axes your driver maps the triggers to. I made this utility a while ago... maybe you can use it to see what's up.

knight
Level 3

aka dude4k

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 11:22:18 AM »

Unity's input system receives input from each of the xbox controller triggers as an axis, and the driver I'm using (http://tattiebogle.net/index.php/ProjectRoot/Xbox360Controller/OsxDriver) maps them to axes #5 and #6. What I probably need to do is figure out which axes your driver maps the triggers to. I made this utility a while ago... maybe you can use it to see what's up.
On my driver both triggers are bound to axis 3 (left is positive,right is negative)
dice
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 11:24:51 AM »

On my driver both triggers are bound to axis 3 (left is positive,right is negative)

That seems strange to me. What happens when you hold both triggers down?

LeFishy
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 11:25:34 AM »

hehehe that was quite a lot of fun. Played with keys but yeah I think it would definitely play better with analogue input. I will try it with my xbox controller see if it works.

Edit: I'm getting the same result as knight.
oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2010, 12:12:27 PM »

"STRAWBERRY HILL: 107 you are upside down..."

Big Laff
increpare
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2010, 12:15:56 PM »

That seems strange to me. What happens when you hold both triggers down?
I've heard other people say that as well -
dice
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2010, 04:43:22 AM »

I'm looking into this xbox360 controller issue on PCs. It seems like the default Windows drivers do indeed map right to -1 and left to +1 on the same axis! So, having both triggers down means that the input from that axis is -1 + = 0. Great, right? Someone made a plugin that might fix this, but I'm going to have to experiment to see if it will work in the web player. Not having a PC at home makes this tricky to test though. Wink  I haven't been home to test the new physics with my controller, so I don't actually know if it's easier with the analogue controls... (It's probably much easier to hold down the D and K keys than it is to hold two triggers at exactly the same level.)

"STRAWBERRY HILL: 107 you are upside down..."

Big Laff

Wink

James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2010, 10:16:05 AM »

I have an xbox 360 controller plugged into my computer but when I play this game on my system my right rocket just fires all the time, constantly. If I squeeze my left trigger, my left rocket fires but nothing I do stops the right rocket from constantly firing.

Pike `n Shot  the first pshmup ever made. Twitter:@JamesEdSmith
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic