Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 02:52:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Redoing an old project : Horror hospital
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Redoing an old project : Horror hospital  (Read 1929 times)
_discovery
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: November 29, 2010, 01:03:53 AM »

Well, as the title suggests. In 2008 i started a project which got sidetracked along the way but i am currently redoing the art for the release.
The old one was a side view but, it didn't make much sense. There was a total lack of depth.

Whilst repainting this with a more depth based approach, i found i didn't like the depth there either.

At the end of the day I realised that I have never done a proper isometric pixel art game, so i decided to try that approach instead. I pulled up my books and old tutorials and I started my road to a level mockup to see what could come of it.

I liked the results but, for a horror themed game it wasn't dark enough and personally i prefer painted lighting a little more.

As with my other games, i decided to mix them. Painting lighting into the pixel art. So far, i am enjoying the style/direction and i will continue on this road to see where it leads.

All feedback/comments/crit welcome!
Ill keep this thread up to date as much as i can ( and you can follow the actual project on my blog http://blog.centrc.net/darktown-and-that-one-hospital-game )

jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 06:01:19 AM »

Looks good, though I think if you can manage to get the same dirty tile/cement effect on the isometric tiles it would look twice as delicious and badass.
_discovery
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 07:34:28 AM »

Ah, but of course Smiley This is an early start. The idea is to make it much darker and gritty.

BorisTheBrave
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 06:40:27 AM »

If you go with isometric hospitals, it's going to give a lot of TiGers reminders of theme hospital. Might not be the effect you are aiming for.
MegaLeon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 07:26:16 AM »

More than everything else, I think that pixels and soft shadows don't go along that well.

*blog - *tweet - *leon
Captain_404
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 12:12:28 PM »

I like the soft shadows. I would sort out what direction the light is coming from though, the way your walls shadows are set up makes the walls appear to be floating.
saibot216
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 07:37:36 PM »

Shocked Warp factor awesome.... engage.

_discovery
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 02:35:17 AM »

If you go with isometric hospitals, it's going to give a lot of TiGers reminders of theme hospital. Might not be the effect you are aiming for.

I keep getting this feeling too, that is why i am making a more detailed prototype cos i sort of feel that the gameplay i WANT doesn't match the isometric style. At least by the end of it i have something isometric in my portfolio though Smiley

More than everything else, I think that pixels and soft shadows don't go along that well.
Noted, but i think ill see where it goes. I like it.

walls appear to be floating.
yea, the lighting will be very drastic from this im sure. I copy pasted some walls as im sure you an tell. It is sorta like a journey to see where it takes me. I have noted that and will check that whatever i finish wont have wall floatyness.

Thanks for the feedback guys, every bit helps.
I should have a much fuller version done this week sometime.

Interestingly enough I am getting a ton of game play suggestions on other forums for the isometric, and like i mentioned i am not sure that isometric will fit the game play i am looking for. I might go for a top down style to keep the pace of the game play up (see this thread for more top down stuff i have messed around with http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=7091.msg453105#msg453105) and i am hoping to prototype this asap and get a build in your hands for feedback.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 03:41:44 AM by FuzzYspo0N » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic