Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411424 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:50:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSpace Captain McCallery Episode 3: The Turquoise Temple Pt. 1
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Space Captain McCallery Episode 3: The Turquoise Temple Pt. 1  (Read 6771 times)
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« on: November 29, 2010, 12:48:56 PM »

Work start on Episode 3 of Space Captain McCallery.

Space Captain McCallery is a series of episodic action-adventure games where you play as a space pirate exploring various planets looking for treasure.

I've updated the visual style of the game from the firs two episodes, which includes increased resolution.

The game is now completed.  You can find it here

old screenshots:
http://a.yfrog.com/img146/1600/captain32.png
http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/2966/captain35.png

Episode 1 is available for free >here<, and Episode 2 is currently on sale for $3 until January 1st, when it goes back up to it's standard price.  You can find Episode 2 >here<.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 03:33:49 PM by Alec S. » Logged

deathtotheweird
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 01:54:13 AM »

mmm I don't think I'm much of a fan of the new art style. the short pudgy cute captain mccallery I've grown to love is all....big and awkward and no longer cute.

let's do a little comparison:

(click thumbnail to enlarge)

I don't mean to be too rude, and this isn't in the feedback forums..but it's a big step back. Especially the colors..

I loved episode 1 and 2 (still loving 2 yet, got stuck and took a break but I plan on finishing it soon) so this is me speaking as a huge fan of those games and kinda shocked you would regress (imo) in style like this. But I'm sure it'll be a fine game though..
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 10:43:45 AM »

I always appreciate feedback.

Part of the change is that I wanted to move to a higher resolution.  In addition to the obvious visual change that entails, I can also make smoother movement.

This is just an early screenshot.  The captain will eventually be smaller on the screen (or at least take up less of the screen) later in development. 

As far as the colors, I'll experiment with them, but I'm trying to go with a more saturated look for this episode.  Part of the point of the series is to present the player with a strange alien world in each game.  I have to keep changing the worlds, and can't keep going with the orange-red ground and rocks with green plants from the first two games.

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed the first two episodes, and I hope you'll stick around to see how this develops, and I hope you'll enjoy episode 3 as well.   Gentleman

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 11:18:29 AM »

[ultra-vivid colors in new screenshot]

Is this what the game looks like before or after he ingests hallucinogenic drugs?

deathtotheweird
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 07:31:20 PM »

Part of the point of the series is to present the player with a strange alien world in each game.  I have to keep changing the worlds, and can't keep going with the orange-red ground and rocks with green plants from the first two games.

ahh right. I totally understand now, you have a good point. makes sense.

I hope you'll enjoy episode 3 as well.

dont see why I wouldnt.  Coffee
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 05:58:08 PM »

[ultra-vivid colors in new screenshot]

Is this what the game looks like before or after he ingests hallucinogenic drugs?

Haha, before.  I'm going to try to go even further with the hallucinogenic effects for this game.  For various reasons, more of the environmental objects are actual objects now rather than tiles with collision blocks (for reasons including moving parts, or interactive elements).  This means I'm going to have the ability to do things like have the rocks and trees seem to come to life and attack you when you start using hallucinogens, or have rocks and trees shift in size or color.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 12:55:50 AM »

Playing around with the art assets I've been working on.  Placing a bunch of them to get a hold of how they work together.

Also, for anyone wondering whether my design process involves speculating into the nature of scientifically plausible alien worlds.  Well...sometimes...other times:

"Hey, turquoise is a cool looking rock.  Wouldn't it be cooler if it were gigantic"

« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 01:16:53 AM by Alec S. » Logged

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 08:33:33 AM »

Why is the captain so keen to doing drugs, anyways? Tongue

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 11:59:57 PM »

Mostly because there needs to be some negative side effects to eating alien foods, and that seemed like a fun one to implement.  Plus I can put hidden things in that The Captain can only see when hallucinating.

Also, I've worked on the tile-set a bit further, primarily in terms of the color scheme.

Jetrel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 03:14:28 AM »

Gentleman I see what you did there.
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 02:20:39 PM »

Work continues.  I've been working on enemies for the game.  Enemies are going to have more complex behavior than they did in previous games.  The main enemies will move around and shoot at The Captain rather than just rushing at him.  They also don't automatically notice The Captain.  They will patrol an area until he enters their line of sight.  You can even sneak past these enemies by hiding behind rocks and trees.

Fable
Level 0

What a night...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 10:40:45 PM »

Hey I'm Fable, I did most of the animations for Alec's Space Captain McCallery Episode 2 and am doing some animations for this installment as well. Alec asked me to post some of these animations up on his devlop for ya'll to see. Enjoy! Sorry for the smallness, they're all 32 by 32 pixels. More to come soon.

I make arts.
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 04:27:05 PM »

And on that subject, here's what the first enemy looks like in-game:

I've also updated the first post with more up-to-date screenshots

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 01:25:06 PM »

This is your Captain McCallery on drugs:

As you can see, I'm going a lot further with the variety of hallucinogenic effects, and I'm not even done adding them.  One main difference with the new game is that I'm now using surfaces, which opens up new avenues for psychedelic effects.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 10:43:20 PM »

Here's another enemy:

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2010, 02:24:00 PM »

I've made a new sprite for the Captain:

« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 09:39:37 PM by Alec S. » Logged

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 08:35:55 PM »

Work has been continuing on this.  I'm pretty close to being able to release a demo and a trailer.  I think it's time to upgrade this to %20.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 09:20:27 PM »

A demo is now available!

I've made a feedback thread for it:  http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=16826.0

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2011, 08:28:23 PM »

'Allo, I've been away traveling for a few months, but now I'm back and work Space Captain McCallery Episode 3 resumes.

As you may have noticed, I recently announced that Episode 2 is now freeware.  That will carry over to Episode 3 as well (although, Episode 3 will also end up shorter than I originally intended.  I now intend to turn it into a two-parter.)

Anyway, here's a new screenshot.  It's of the forest area.

zircon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2011, 10:35:09 PM »

In a world of samey lo-fi 8bit and faux-8bit games, I have to say this is among the most unique art styles I've seen. Brought back instant nostalgia of old-school PC adventure games like King's Quest and Gold Rush. Bravo.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic