Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 12:08:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytesting=D - completed - DOWNLOAD!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: =D - completed - DOWNLOAD!  (Read 5851 times)
necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« on: April 26, 2008, 07:22:37 PM »

Type: Game

Fullscreen: Yes

Credits to Sinerider for the background music

Description: This is a super trippy unique circular shoot em up from hell. The controls are extremely simple, and the game has a nice difficulty curve. All you have to do is kill the enemies moving towards you as fast as you can! If they reach a certain distance to you, then they will slow down and begin to shoot at you. If their shots hit you, you take damage (your health is represented as a number in the center). Online highscores will come, I promise!

Controls: Movement : Left and Right

http://www.nfyre.com/=D.html
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 11:28:56 AM by necromian » Logged
hroon
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 01:30:28 AM »

It looks very interesting ... do you control multiple player instances at the same time? It would be awesome if the gradient in the back would pulsate to the music. You could also do a powerup where going counter clockwise turns back the time.

I think you should also be able to adjust the length of the rope, maybe make the connection between player and boss a grappling hook?

I'm looking forward to see what you will do with this.

Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 02:54:15 AM »

Shit this is cool. And I really like the title. I'd say... hroon's ideas are good, only because I'm tired and can't think of my own. Tongue But what you have so far looks awesome.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 05:29:46 AM »

Just from the screenshot I can tell you that you need to increase the precision of the circles (there's an option to do that in Game Maker), otherwise you get circles that look like 16-sided polygons rather than circles.

necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 06:46:39 AM »

It looks very interesting ... do you control multiple player instances at the same time? It would be awesome if the gradient in the back would pulsate to the music. You could also do a powerup where going counter clockwise turns back the time.

I think you should also be able to adjust the length of the rope, maybe make the connection between player and boss a grappling hook?

I'm looking forward to see what you will do with this.
I'm thinking either you will control multiple player instances at a time, or all the player instances will move automatically, and you need to time your shots accordingly. I'm guessing it will be the first choice though.

Also, I'll try making it so that the player can move closer and farther from the center.

The gradient in the background actually speeds up and slows down to the music, and when it does, everything else also speeds up and slows down. I think I got a good range so that it doesn't really affect the gameplay, but it looks pretty damn cool.
Just from the screenshot I can tell you that you need to increase the precision of the circles (there's an option to do that in Game Maker), otherwise you get circles that look like 16-sided polygons rather than circles.
I searched for that in the help manual but couldn't find anything. Could you help point me in the right direction?
necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 04:50:39 PM »

Well, I finished the game. Weather that be a good or a bad thing, I'll leave that up to you to decide  Wink
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 05:51:31 PM »

Hm... well I tried playing it, and it doesnt seem like much of a game at this point.  The difficulty curve wasnt that apparent to me, I guess its climbing ever so slowly.  I think it needs to get more difficult at a faster rate for me to keep playing it, otherwise I get bored :I
necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 06:00:34 PM »

Hm... well I tried playing it, and it doesnt seem like much of a game at this point.  The difficulty curve wasnt that apparent to me, I guess its climbing ever so slowly.  I think it needs to get more difficult at a faster rate for me to keep playing it, otherwise I get bored :I
I suppose the curve was a bit shallow, I just reuploaded with twice the curve now ^_^
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 12:18:41 AM »

The link is broken for me. However this was just because it was typed wrongly. Presumably not by you, but my computer corrupted it or something. I dunno, but I figured I'd tell you. I managed to get the link to work by cutting out the obviously corrupted bits so I'll tell you what I think of the actual game in just a moment.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 12:32:17 AM »

It was amazing. I will never play it again. I feel sick.

Ciardhubh
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 12:48:24 AM »

Copy and paste the link text, not the target to get to the game.

It's a fun game to waste some time. I like the random speed changes. Kind of lacks long term playability though; but I guess that's not intended Wink. Is there anything you can do to counter incoming shots? Shoot them, hit them with the rotating things to block them, etc.?

A few cosmetical issues:
- The end of the music track is rather abrupt. The transition from end to beginning isn't smooth enough in my opinion.
- The FPS counter is distracting.
- There are too many different fonts: one for the highscore, on for "press start" and one for the credits/fps.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 12:53:27 AM by Ciardhubh » Logged
Corpus
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 08:12:53 AM »

I believe that those circles have closer to 24 sides than 16.
necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 11:31:36 AM »

I fixed the corrupted link.

It was amazing. I will never play it again. I feel sick.
XD, thanks

Copy and paste the link text, not the target to get to the game.

It's a fun game to waste some time. I like the random speed changes. Kind of lacks long term playability though; but I guess that's not intended Wink. Is there anything you can do to counter incoming shots? Shoot them, hit them with the rotating things to block them, etc.?

A few cosmetical issues:
- The end of the music track is rather abrupt. The transition from end to beginning isn't smooth enough in my opinion.
- The FPS counter is distracting.
- There are too many different fonts: one for the highscore, on for "press start" and one for the credits/fps.
you can destroy the enemy bullets by hitting them with your own bullets. Also, I thought the FPS counter was necessary because all of my beta testers were telling me the game had a really inconsistent framerate (when the slows and speed ups were actually deliberate.)

Also, I'm in the process of picking out a new track ^_^
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 02:59:59 PM »

I found the function in question:

"
draw_set_circle_precision(precision) Sets the precision with which circles are drawn, that is, the number of segments they consist of. The precision must lie between 4 and 64 and must be dividable by 4. This is also used for drawing ellipses and rounded rectangles.
"

I think the default is either 16 or 32; regardless, try it with 64 and see if it looks better.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2008, 03:02:40 PM »

Another question -- why a max fps of 45?

necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2008, 01:26:29 PM »

I found the function in question:

"
draw_set_circle_precision(precision) Sets the precision with which circles are drawn, that is, the number of segments they consist of. The precision must lie between 4 and 64 and must be dividable by 4. This is also used for drawing ellipses and rounded rectangles.
"

I think the default is either 16 or 32; regardless, try it with 64 and see if it looks better.
Does this happen to be a GM7 only feature?
Another question -- why a max fps of 45?
Well, the game runs at a max of 45 fps on my computer, so I set the game to run how I wanted it to at 45 fps. This is mainly a precaution because during my last big game, I had set the room speed to 60 fps, although my computer could only run it at 40, causing people with faster computers to find the game too fast to play.
Ciardhubh
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2008, 03:17:40 AM »

Well, the game runs at a max of 45 fps on my computer, so I set the game to run how I wanted it to at 45 fps. This is mainly a precaution because during my last big game, I had set the room speed to 60 fps, although my computer could only run it at 40, causing people with faster computers to find the game too fast to play.

You have to decouple game logic and rendering speed.

For example: write a render() function that draws the current state of the game but does not change it. On the other hand write a logic(timeDelta) function that only handles game logic. A parameter timeDelta takes the time elapsed since it has last been called (e.g. milliseconds since the last frame). This way the logic() function can progress the game according to the time passed and not by a set amount of steps.

At least that's how it can work in a real programming language. No idea about Gamemaker, though :D.
increpare
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2008, 01:31:27 PM »

Gosh; it took me a few seconds to figure out what exact control I had over anything, but, yeah, it happily played with it for a couple of minutes.  I had no sound though: I had to unplug my PC's speakers to charge my laptop.  I'll give it another go later with that (it seemed to slow down a lot sometimes, but maybe that was just the background  Roll Eyes ).  And yeah: I also feel slightly sick.  (anyone for a 'most nauseating game' thread?  Smiley )

Edit: Okay, I tried again, with sound: I feel sicker.  Wheeeeee Smiley  (it does seems to get a bit sluggish on my pc sometimes though (2.7Ghz, 512mb Ram)).
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 01:37:42 PM by increpare » Logged
necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2008, 02:03:49 PM »

Gosh; it took me a few seconds to figure out what exact control I had over anything, but, yeah, it happily played with it for a couple of minutes.  I had no sound though: I had to unplug my PC's speakers to charge my laptop.  I'll give it another go later with that (it seemed to slow down a lot sometimes, but maybe that was just the background  Roll Eyes ).  And yeah: I also feel slightly sick.  (anyone for a 'most nauseating game' thread?  Smiley )

Edit: Okay, I tried again, with sound: I feel sicker.  Wheeeeee Smiley  (it does seems to get a bit sluggish on my pc sometimes though (2.7Ghz, 512mb Ram)).
Thanks ^_^
The speed changes are deliberate. I tried to show this to people by drawing the framerate on the screen, which usually stayed pretty constant.

You have to decouple game logic and rendering speed.

For example: write a render() function that draws the current state of the game but does not change it. On the other hand write a logic(timeDelta) function that only handles game logic. A parameter timeDelta takes the time elapsed since it has last been called (e.g. milliseconds since the last frame). This way the logic() function can progress the game according to the time passed and not by a set amount of steps.

At least that's how it can work in a real programming language. No idea about Gamemaker, though :D.
That's actually a good idea. I'll probably try something like that in my next game so that the object's speed changes with the rendering speed so that the game difficulty is the same for everyone.
increpare
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2008, 02:09:12 PM »

Thanks ^_^
The speed changes are deliberate. I tried to show this to people by drawing the framerate on the screen, which usually stayed pretty constant.
My framerate hovers about the 20±3 mark   Sad
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic