Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 07:50:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsTIGJAM UK 4 - 4-7 February, Cambridge [ SOLD OUT ]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18
Print
Author Topic: TIGJAM UK 4 - 4-7 February, Cambridge [ SOLD OUT ]  (Read 77796 times)
AlexDJones
Level 0

Dough-faced wonderchild

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2010, 04:59:57 AM »

Probably shouldn't have said yes to that first date. But I will hopefully be available then. I'm just not 100% certain.
increpare
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2010, 03:49:20 PM »

Okay, so 4 - 7 of February it is.  CB2 booked.  I'll put up an eventbrite page in a bit so people can register.
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2010, 03:51:24 PM »

I'm looking forward to it already!

twitter: @docky
LemonScented
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2010, 06:35:16 PM »

Marked in my calendar.

So... Having expressed an interest in rocking up to a TIGJAM... What's actually involved in one of these? I presume by "jam" you mean "make a game in a short period of time, probably with some complete strangers" but I've never actually attended one.

Jonathan Whiting
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2010, 01:01:05 AM »

There are it seems as many flavours of jam, as, well, flavours of jam.  I've only been to the one myself, but these Cambridge ones seem to favour making lots of little games in extremely small themed 'jams'.  For instance you might get 3hrs to make a game about disillusion and/or buttercups.

Collaboration is optional, though possible if you want it.  Given the super tight time constraints it's a bit crazy, (get a decent framework that you're comfortable with setup if you can) but there's a good crowd of people that will actually take questions like "What's a good name for a buttercupman?" seriously, so it's hyper productive.

Spicy chips and pasta are consumed, usually not at once.  Some people might go to a pub, but others will likely stay to bitter end each night working on stuff and chatting.

bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2010, 02:21:15 AM »

Also, not everyone works on the challenges. Almost all the time I spent actually programming at last year's one was working on the Flash version of UpBot Goes Up.

Hmm... I wonder if Ishi's reading this thread? If he is, I could mention to him how great it would be if the XBLIG version was done before the Jam. Hand Thumbs Up LeftGrin:handthumbsupR:

brian
Level 0

WHOAAA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2010, 08:51:41 AM »

I'd say i'll be there or i'll be square but that might cause me to get food poisoning again so i'll just say i'm tentatively down as a clown and/or charlie brown.
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2010, 11:14:52 AM »

Also, not everyone works on the challenges. Almost all the time I spent actually programming at last year's one was working on the Flash version of UpBot Goes Up.

Hmm... I wonder if Ishi's reading this thread? If he is, I could mention to him how great it would be if the XBLIG version was done before the Jam. Hand Thumbs Up LeftGrin:handthumbsupR:

Sounds like a decent deadline. 11 months is surely long enough!

I learnt from a couple of jams that the 3 hour challenges aren't really for me. Doesn't suit my game and coding style (indeed flash or unity or something like that is far more suited to the short challenges, but being a code control freak I don't use them). So I'll just be going for the spicy chips. And working on stuff and chatting.

LeFishy
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2010, 11:37:08 AM »

Ahem... UpBot you say... Sadly I can't see myself getting the other version done by the jam because I have many courseworks. University sure does get in the way of actual work doesn't it.
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2010, 11:49:40 AM »

Ahem... UpBot you say... Sadly I can't see myself getting the other version done by the jam because I have many courseworks. University sure does get in the way of actual work doesn't it.

Yes it does, lots. No probs. Coffee

Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2010, 07:16:19 PM »

I could possibly be there.
The only problem is i'm a jam noob, i don't really get what you guys do all weekend haha.

increpare
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2010, 08:24:16 PM »

Bring a laptop along and you'll be fineCoffee
bento_smile
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2010, 04:32:30 AM »

i don't really get what you guys do all weekend haha.

Make games, drink, complain about the coffee.  Coffee

(Last two are optional.)
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2010, 04:53:38 AM »

Ee, you southerners and your fancy London game jams. I wonder if there'd be much interest in having a game jam up north so us northerners can more easily get in on some of the action. I may see about organising one in the new year.

increpare
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2010, 05:01:10 AM »

Ee, you southerners and your fancy London game jams. I wonder if there'd be much interest in having a game jam up north so us northerners can more easily get in on some of the action. I may see about organising one in the new year.
Don't let that stop you from considering coming down to grace us with your presence, mister Smiley
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2010, 06:13:58 AM »

If only it was that simple. Unfortunately being a responsible adult these days means I have commitments to attend to so can't really justify taking off for a few days.

Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2010, 07:37:14 AM »

I'm from the north, but i have the advantage of being an irresponsible adult.

Edit: Also, i don't have a laptop. Sad
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 08:22:30 AM by Nugsy » Logged

increpare
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2010, 12:05:48 PM »

Get a laptop, Nugsy.
LemonScented
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2010, 04:11:46 PM »

There are it seems as many flavours of jam, as, well, flavours of jam.  I've only been to the one myself, but these Cambridge ones seem to favour making lots of little games in extremely small themed 'jams'.  For instance you might get 3hrs to make a game about disillusion and/or buttercups.

Uh... Wow. I know I don't make things easy for myself by being one of those old-school, industry-institutionalised C++ programmers rather than a young, hip GameMaker kid, but even with my favourite lovingly crafted pet engine I'm not sure I could do anything of use in 3 hours.

increpare
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2010, 04:43:24 PM »

Uh... Wow. I know I don't make things easy for myself by being one of those old-school, industry-institutionalised C++ programmers rather than a young, hip GameMaker kid, but even with my favourite lovingly crafted pet engine I'm not sure I could do anything of use in 3 hours.
I'm absolutely certain you can make something entirely beautiful in that timeframe.  (though it might be helpful to be open to the possibility of ditching your engine and trying something new and exciting and unfamiliar).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic