Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:37:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOrbis Jagga
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Orbis Jagga  (Read 11929 times)
iggie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: December 02, 2010, 01:20:10 AM »

This is the DevLog for a platform game I'm cooking up. Hope you enjoy + crits welcome!

Current Status:
 Writing Act 2 of 3 at the moment - trying to avoid all the grand Dark v Light cliches.

Status 1:
 I've got designs for 12 worlds, 50 Enemies and 20 Bosses + 20 upgradeable weapons and 38 NPCs. I've made model and animation prototypes and am starting making my first level designs in 3D.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 08:24:07 AM by iggie » Logged

iggie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 01:20:53 AM »

Level mockup - foreground only.

flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 03:20:33 AM »

The graphics is wonderful! About the code, which technologies are you going to use? And which platforms are you going to target?

iggie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 04:17:51 AM »

I decided to use OpenGL for this project (After being a long time DirectX fan), but PC is still the primary target platform.

I'm using Curvy 3D for pre-rendering the characters and environments (via a custom rendering plugin). Then the actual in-game graphics is 2D OpenGL sprites with pixel-shaders to allow local light sources.

iggie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 01:53:37 PM »

World1/Zone2 Boss: Drail

Creature Concept by Mack Sztaba, sculpted in Curvy 3D, rendered in Experimental Rendering Engine.

I like to prototype one of each kind of thing in the game - so this is the proto boss. He hulks around the screen while you hack at his ankles, good old fashioned fun.

DangerMomentum
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 10:43:48 PM »

Wow, fantastic art! I can't wait to see this in motion.

iggie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 02:01:19 AM »

I've been working on monster AI and attacks this week, went surprisingly quickly and now I have all my regular enemies working with individual AI styles.

One of the last things on my list of things to prototype was character animation. I suspect getting good keyframes is more important than framerate, so I concentrated on that, and cut my FPS to 12 & 6 in some places to leave lots of memory for sprites.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 02:20:46 AM by iggie » Logged

Taugeshtu
Level 2

Semi-dormant.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 03:20:31 AM »

I'm stunned. Awesome art! Hope you'll finish it, and good luck with this one!
As I can see now, it is something like easy-to-learn fighting, when it comes to dealing with enemies?
Is there possibility to grab on rocks? I think it would be great to do some climbing in game... Just imagine: you jump, then grab on the rock, pull yourself up and then hit emeny, when it's turned back to you. Or another: climb a rock while fighting and strike enemy from the sky, smashing his skull.

Whatever, I like to read someth. about gameplay!)

We LOVE you. We MADE you.
iggie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 03:48:56 AM »

There is some climbing, but it's limited to the NPCs at the moment. The Roots Jester enemy flings himself around the screen, catching hold of the rocks from any angle, before launching himself to attack the player again. The Crawler monster clambers up walls and ceilings.

The game is mainly about exploring and finding new weapons, and the combat is mostly there for reckless fun. You quickly find your first spellcasting weapons and the play style becomes a shooter/fighter blitz. Overall I'm aiming at an RPG feel to the combat - so you can enhance your character through optional challenges to get stronger. It becomes more about tactics than twitch gameplay.

Also in the RPG line there are plenty of NPCs and Bosses to help drag you into this post-heroic fantasy world.

Helmeted
Level 0

Death Panelist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 09:26:22 AM »

Digging the art. The environment is unconventional and looks great.

iggie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 07:23:42 AM »

As well as the swampy worlds, there are castles and crypts so I've been working on my architectural blocks. I'll be returning to add more detail (and colour textures) later - but this is enough to start building and testing some levels.

This is a test of an exterior ruin. I'll use similar tiles but very different lighting to make interiors.

Chris Pavia
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 09:14:01 AM »

Your environments look fantastic!  I'm jealous.
iggie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 09:33:55 AM »

While I love 8-bit pixels, I thought it would be fun to go in the opposite direction and mash HD renders with 8-bit gameplay. At the moment it plays like a mix of Gun Bot and Cave Story - but I want to get some Jak and Daxter in there too!

DangerMomentum
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2010, 01:02:18 PM »

I'm stoked to see a gorgeous game that isn't pixel art around here. Can't wait to see gameplay!

iggie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2010, 05:05:19 PM »

After spending the day on loads of mathy coding, I spent the evening on the next monster for world 1. This guy uses the same walk animation as the cannibal so that saves a lot of time. The small version is in-game size for a 1024x768 screen.

AMT - I've got the basic run & gun gameplay working with placeholders, but as the fighting tactics are so closely linked to the level design I'm working on improving the level editor at the moment before I return to the combat gameplay. As for classic-platformer style gameplay (jumping puzzles etc) I'm saving that for a few set-piece sequences and challenges.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 05:32:06 PM by iggie » Logged

Taugeshtu
Level 2

Semi-dormant.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2010, 07:36:13 AM »

> I'm stoked to see a gorgeous game that isn't pixel art around here.
Incrementing that! Definitely!
And, 1 more thing... I'm not sure of it, but it could be nice idea to keep NPCs' and player's sprites untextured... First, it'll save you A LOT of time. Second: it clears vision of game sutuation, and saves geometry details to players to see them all) Geometry is actually pretty!

Still, good luck!

iggie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2010, 07:54:30 AM »

@Taugeshtu It is often a weird progression from cool concept sketches, to sculptural untextured models, to dark & busy textured finished art. I think if done well the textured version is best - but the other stages do give a clearer description of the creature. Mirror's Edge used untextured to good effect - I'm aiming at more traditional swords & sorcery fantasy with low key lighting and coloured backlights - so the textures will be needed to pull that off I think. Kinda like undercoated & dark washed warhammer minatures v painted ones, while they look cool the painted ones are better for fighting.

Taugeshtu
Level 2

Semi-dormant.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2010, 08:55:45 AM »

It's your desigion, and your game) I'm just thinking about game and it's art. And yes, I'm thinking about it in my vision of gaming (right now have a Mirror's Edge-like game at final stage of development)

iggie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2010, 02:00:05 PM »

Taugeshtu - here is a comparison of ambient and colour versions of the same character (quickly sketched in colours)
I think most of the geometry shows through OK.

This example looks a bit flat in the end as the metal, skin and cloth materials are all too similar - I'm going to try and improve that, but first have to get on with lots more gameplay dev Smiley

XRA
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2010, 03:37:26 PM »

i know it is untextured, but the crawler animation in particular looks like claymation, pretty cool.  I like the look of this!

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic