Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 01:21:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEat Yo Tail (Snake Clone) [Flashpunk]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Eat Yo Tail (Snake Clone) [Flashpunk]  (Read 5170 times)
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« on: December 03, 2010, 08:51:17 AM »

The goal is to eat (the end of) your tail and avoid apples, your body, and the walls.

Current build

Arrows to move around, q to warp to the start.
Hit an apple and grow by 8 units, hit your tail* and shrink by 4 units.
*You have to hit within 4 units of your tail otherwise you explode.**
**Explosion not yet implemented lol

Assets current & future:

Current source
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 02:08:04 PM by JR Hill » Logged

hi
Carrie Nation
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 04:28:07 PM »

The horror... the horror...
st33d
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 04:32:29 PM »

Your intestines should fall out when you eat the tail.

Every. Single. Time.
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 10:28:05 AM »

Ok, basically the first thing I did was get the graphics and the input/framerate settled.  Here's the first build and the source.  (Using Flashpunk library)

The next things I'm going to put in are collision detection and the body pieces.

hi
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 03:52:55 PM »

Second build
Second source

Arrows to move around, q to warp to center.
(I accidentally invented Snake with portals)

Didn't do the collision detection yet, which will be the next big chunk I work on.

hi
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 06:25:49 PM »

Third Build
Third Source

Hit an apple and you grow by 8 units, eat your tail and you shrink by 8 units.  (Minimum of 4)

I hope this source code is helpful for someone lol.  It's pretty basic I think, but I know when I was starting out it was easiest for me to look at what other people did than to look through the documentation.  (And Flashpunk has some good documentation too!)

To do:
Make snake explode into skeleton bits when it hits the wall/its body
Sound effects/music
Scoring/levels
GUI
Balancing
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 06:35:31 PM by JR Hill » Logged

hi
TheLastBanana
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 11:07:38 PM »

I like the concept, but it's a bit easy. There needs to be a few more apples at once, for one thing. It just sort of seems like you spend a lot of time going in circles and not much else happens. Perhaps there could be something else going around the level making it difficult to eat your tail? For instance, you could have a snake that actually wants to grow going around and eating the apples, effectively getting in the way of your tail-chasing.
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 05:33:10 PM »

I like the idea of more snakes, and was even thinking of doing online multiplayer, but probably won't.  I am definitely planning on throwing more apples & maybe other obstacles in there.  Going to finish up this game tomorrow probably.

I'm planning on having a few modes of play:
1. Classic Snake
2. Eat tail story mode
3. Eat tail unlimited mode

Story mode will have obstacle-course-like levels that will be near impossible.

Also I sped up the gameplay a bit before I called it quits but didn't post the latest version before I called it a day.

hi
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 05:30:45 PM »

Spent most of the day pixeling some corner tiles so not much programming done, lol.

Decided to work on levels instead of explosions, since that makes the game more interesting to test.

Here is the newest build and the newest source.

To do:
  • Make snake explode into skeleton bits when it hits the wall/its body
  • Sound effects/music
  • Scoring
  • make more levels
  • GUI
  • Balancing

Known Bugs:
  • Some apples get placed on walls (only on initialization)  ((and I know why lol))

hi
jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 09:03:47 AM »

I don't understand why it doesn't clear the old snake away after you die?

Also apparently I am bad at this.
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 02:30:48 PM »

Cause I'm gonna make the snake explode into bone pieces, I just haven't implemented it yet.  Plus fast respawn makes it faster for me to test.

Also, I am really bad at this too lol. I had it sped up then turned it back to normal, I might slow it down even more.

hi
Blodyavenger
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2010, 07:36:14 AM »

I realy like the concept of eating your tail, it makes snake game a bit different from classis one, and of course, I like the graphics A LOT!

I see people think it's easy but I think it's a bit too fast...or maybe my reflexes are slow <shrugs> who knows. Want to see more anyway

I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2010, 01:48:33 PM »

This idea reminds me of that scene in Office Space where he makes a boardgame called Jump To Conclusions where you literally jump to conclusions, and that's the game.

I liked going through the process of adapting the way I'd normally play Snake- That was fun for a couple minutes, then I got the hang of it, and I don't think I'd play much more.
The thing about regular Snake is that you get bigger the longer you play it, so it gets more dangerous to get higher scores- but in this your size goes up n down however you want, so you don't get that building tension.

Good job though.
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2010, 03:42:28 PM »

Yeah, the idea here is that levels will be hard to start, easier to finish, and then go to a different, harder map.  Pretty much until it becomes nearly impossible.

hi
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2010, 12:26:02 AM »

Ok, I really shouldn't have thought making interesting & challenging levels would be one of the easier parts, this is probably going to take me a while to work all these out lol.

hi
RotateMe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2010, 04:27:34 AM »

Graphics are super cute and it reminds me a lot of the Nokia version I loved so much! It's hard as hell though and couldn't keep me playing... have you limited the FPS? It seemed REALLY fast. Also please add a "Press <space> to retry" screen ASAP, this starting over without any warning made me rage quit pretty soon.
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2010, 03:35:32 PM »

Lol yeah I guess I should post a more stable build.  I might not have power at home until Monday though...

hi
sauyadav
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2010, 09:44:30 PM »

Graphics looks pretty .I loved Nokia Snake, specially on old phones, new ones are just not my taste.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic