Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 01:38:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsdifferent
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: different  (Read 1396 times)
BoxedLunch
« on: December 03, 2010, 09:01:54 PM »

DIFFERENT

a while back, i made this little mockup for a  game about a world full of ugly people. i took interest in the game for a week or two (mainly trying to get the thing done in flashpunk), and stopped for a while. but i really liked this project and wanted to get it made as a game. anyway on with what this is.

different is a game about a boy who wakes up in a land with a slight case of amnesia and only knowing his goal. get back home. you spend much of the game trying to gain trust and be accepted into the local people who don't necessarily care for "ugly people". over the story you may get dragged into events you don't really want to be mixed up in, and probably have some pretty important roles in these.

the game will basically be a free-roam kind of game, although a pretty linear one. i will likely add some puzzles, but i don't plan on ever leaving a sense of danger on you. there will also be some quest doing and a bit of conversation to be had, but this will probably be a fairly simple game.

Play my old flash engine test:
Here

Day 1
I opened my old .gmk file of the game, nothing impressive yet. But i do have the movement engine down and the look of the mockup copied. So far i have a subtle, twitchy look going on with the whole thing. The look of conversation with characters could do with a bit of work though, because you can't necessarily tell who exactly is talking. Maybe i should do something similar to the look of Froggato's conversations. You know, the whole close-up kind of thing. I plan on adding a bit of wobble though.

BoxedLunch
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 04:49:54 PM »

Day 2
Started learning surfaces for the first time, thanks to chevyray's surface tutorial.
I tried converting almost all drawing other than objects to surfaces. here's what i got.

By the way, does anybody know any good gamepad control tutorials for game maker?
I think it would fit nicely with the game.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 06:24:39 PM »

I like the shaky look in the flash thing, glad you're keeping it.

as for the gamepad, this should help: http://wiki.yoyogames.com/index.php/GML_Functions:_The_Joystick
BoxedLunch
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 08:29:10 PM »

sorry i haven't been posting anything in the past couple days, yesterday my internet was out and tomorrow i have a research paper due.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic