Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411509 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 11:45:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGo! Go! You Crazy Hipsters, You!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Go! Go! You Crazy Hipsters, You!  (Read 3649 times)
MrMog
Level 0

It's all thanks to bone density!

View Profile
« on: December 04, 2010, 08:00:18 PM »

Thought it might be cool to post the on-going experience of making my first "big" (and hopefully released) game and also an attempt at using GameSalad.

Go! Go You Crazy Hipsters, You! (GGYCHY for short) is a puzzle platformer where you take control of two characters to overcome treacherous traps and obstacles, with the same jump motion tied between the two. Why? Because it's soooooo "ironic!"

Completed the first 4 levels, still kinda undecided on the art style (though liking the simplistic one I'm currently using).

A couple of early screenshots:

Very close to having a playable build of those four levels, just need to add a level select screen. Hoping to finish 4 or so levels a week for play-testing Smiley

PS. The name? Something given birth to during a bout of insomina and whacked out on caffine.

CURRENT BUILD (V.0.1): https://sites.google.com/site/coreysawesomegame/GoGoYouCrazyHipstersYou.zip

Controls are as follows:

Movement: Directional Buttons
Jump: Spacebar
Switch characters 1 & 2 keys

Use the mouse to select levels at level select screen
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 01:25:49 AM by MrMog » Logged
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 08:15:12 PM »

Proceed

hi
ink.inc
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 09:03:04 PM »

Needs more scarves, oversized glasses and flannel. Smiley
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 09:35:58 PM by John Sandoval » Logged
Kuppo
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 09:05:19 PM »

I hate hipsters! Angry

But I like the look of this game. Hand Thumbs Up Left
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 09:32:55 PM »

I'm retconning my blatantly embarrassing ranting. Clearly someone was up way past his bedtime and that someone was me.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 11:46:09 PM by Chris Whitman » Logged

Formerly "I Like Cake."
deathtotheweird
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 10:13:16 PM »

it's just a game ya big baby. let it go.
googoogjoob
Level 3

The Walrus is me.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 10:13:49 PM »

hipster rage

the game doesn't even appear to make fun of hipsters so much as gently poke fun at the hipster stereotype
ink.inc
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 10:16:30 PM »

With the exception of flannel shirts, I admittedly dress like a 'hipster'. I've got the v necks, the tight jeans, the occasional scarf, the trademarked oversized glasses (although I actually need these; my vision is terrible).

If you saw me on the street, you'd probably think I was an art history or English major*.

But I don't personally feel offended or under attack by this devlog. It's okay to have a sense of humor about the style of dress / music that you partake of.  Shrug

*i am an engineering major
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 10:52:02 PM by John Sandoval » Logged
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 10:17:48 PM »

chris whitman has just outed himself as a hipster

that said, i agree with some of what he wrote; except that i think the point of making fun of hipsters isn't to make fun of how they dress or what music they like, but of how they *think* -- basically it's a worldview of ennui. or perhaps ennui towards ennui. either way, i think it's okay to make fun of a subgroup for the way they think if the way they think is ridiculous. i don't think chris would get as angry at a game making fun of radical christians, or racists, or sexists, or rednecks, for instance. how about cactus's recent game making fun of swedish rednecks (norrland or something)? did you have the same problem with that game?

basically, what i mean is that subgroups are not only entirely defined by minutia (dress, music) but also by philosophy. and sometimes that philosophy can be stupid. whether the hipster philosophy is or isn't i won't get into, my only point is that one *can* make fun of subgroups for the way they think rather than what music they like. it's like: you can validly and reasonably make fun of goths for focusing on the more depressing and blacker parts of life, for instance. you aren't making fun of wearing black. you're making fun of their worldview.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 10:24:25 PM by Paul Eres » Logged

PixelScum
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 10:20:50 PM »

Wow, I've seen cells with thicker membranes than you have skin, good show. 10/10 would read again.
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 10:24:41 PM »

Yeah, rereading the writeup for the game, my outburst was unwarranted. I'm used to hearing a lot of really meanspirited hipster-bashing, and it tends to be kind of a triggering thing. Sorry!

Also, Paul, wasn't Norrland basically tricking you into making fun of hicks to get its point across about the way we trivialize people? I think your example actively contradicts your point, or maybe that's just what I got out of the ending.

One could argue that severe ennui is actually a reasonable response to the madness of 21st century life, and pastiche to the constant exploitation of the business of nostalgia. But I feel like then I'd be stealing someone's devlog even more than I already have.

Pay no attention to the crazy man, everyone. Nothing to see here.

Edit:
Wow, I've seen cells with thicker membranes than you have skin, good show. 10/10 would read again.

Oh, but you can go fuck yourself.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
ink.inc
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 10:27:37 PM »

PixelScum
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2010, 10:30:59 PM »

How quaint! My Word!
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2010, 10:34:30 PM »

my impression of norrland was that it genuinely makes fun of swedish rednecks, perhaps your interpretation is correct but i don't know anyone else who had that interpretation. my thought is that he took a bunch of stereotypes about a class of people and figured he'd make a neat game out if it, and that it'd be fun for the player to play as someone so different from the player. i didn't get the impression that the point was about how people trivialize others by stereotypes at all. but cactus sometimes frequents these forums so perhaps he could clarify.

also ennui is like the worst thing ever from my viewpoint, i can't believe anyone would seriously defend it. greater challenges shouldn't make people give up, it should make them try to change things more; perhaps be accepting of things which they can't change, but not to give up and just feel tired of life and everything. even if one were in hell (and the world occupied by the upper-middle class white suburbanites who tend to become hipsters has serious problems but is hardly hell, comparatively), one could find tiny ways to enjoy life and to look forward to each day. you can find enthusiasm anywhere, i don't think it's ever too dark to look at the bright side of things.

anyway yes, back to the devlog itself -- perhaps we should take the hipster argument elsewhere so as not to intrude

ink.inc
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2010, 10:35:45 PM »

How quaint! My Word!

I know; I've just been waiting for someone to make a relatively douch-baggy comment so that I could whip it out at a moments notice.  Durr...?
PixelScum
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2010, 10:37:35 PM »

anyway yes, back to the devlog itself -- perhaps we should take the hipster argument elsewhere so as not to intrude
Gonna have to agree, even at the detriment of my own fun. This game looks pretty damn cool, definitely want to see more of it.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 10:43:40 PM by Drakkar » Logged
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2010, 10:49:12 PM »

also ennui is like the worst thing ever from my viewpoint, i can't believe anyone would seriously defend it. greater challenges shouldn't make people give up, it should make them try to change things more; perhaps be accepting of things which they can't change, but not to give up and just feel tired of life and everything. even if one were in hell (and the world occupied by the upper-middle class white suburbanites who tend to become hipsters has serious problems but is hardly hell, comparatively), one could find tiny ways to enjoy life and to look forward to each day. you can find enthusiasm anywhere, i don't think it's ever too dark to look at the bright side of things.

Inspirational stuff! But I still think it's pretty reasonable to feel beat down sometime, or even quite a bit of the time.

I mean, generally I agree with you that it's good to be optimistic. But the hipster ennui is neither as ubiquitous nor as constant as portrayed, nor is it really the sole domain of latte-sipping kids with generic media jobs. I'm not particularly hip, so I don't know if wearing skinny jeans and liking Tao Lin and Wolf Parade makes me a hipster or whatever, but I've had crowds of dudes try to put me in the hospital based on the way I dress and believe me after that it seems waaaaay less funny.

(Intra-edit: I've had friends actually seriously hurt because they dressed the wrong way and were holding a book downtown after dark. It sounds quaint, now that skinny jeans are just a thing tons of people wear, but 5-10 years ago they meant you were probably a fag and needed to be punched straight. So I apologize again, but when people are like "I hate hipsters," I get that fight-or-flight thing where I wish I could punch them through the internet.)

So I don't know. I defend the ennui to an extent because I think if I couldn't feel hopeless sometimes I'd probably feel hopeless all the time, and truthfully a lot of the ennui associated with youth is a by-product of having a strong social conscience and seeing that run up against the hard barrier of reality. So I can sympathize with that.

But I agree with you that people should maintain hope and appreciate what they've got etc. I think taking this to another thread would be more of a disaster, so let's just put it to rest. I'm sorry I brought it up!

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2010, 10:55:20 PM »

Ha ha, so MrMog, did you expect to create two pages of insta-drama with your game? Smiley

Formerly "I Like Cake."
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2010, 11:01:20 PM »

Moar like two pages of insta-emo

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2010, 11:09:13 PM »

Hey, it's been a really long week.

(If a mod wants to hack out all the stuff after I opened my big mouth, then I totally understand.)

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic