Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69372 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 05:40:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWritingYou Get Nothing. You Lose.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: You Get Nothing. You Lose.  (Read 10492 times)
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2010, 01:11:53 AM »

This was incredible, memorable, and shocking all at once when I first experienced this as a kid:

After days of playing Dragon Warrior you reach your final destination at last; Charlock Castle. Within this foul dungeon you encounter some of the toughest foes yet, but as you battle your way deeper you eventually come face to face with the infamous Dragon Lord himself. He offers you a proposal, and should you accept it, you'll get to see one of the most disturbing and bizarre endings of any NES game.

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2010, 04:25:57 AM »

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/2545-Narrative-Mechanics

Extra Credits this week was about the narrative behind the Missile Command, including the fact that no matter how hard you try or how good you are at the game, you ultimately will lose. Of course this is true of most arcade games but the implication of missile command is that millions of people die in the losing situation of the game, so essentially they were all doomed anyway and it was your job to defend them just for the sake of maintaining hope.

You know, I never did like playing that game and I wasn't sure why. This might've been it  Concerned
pixhead
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2011, 08:13:24 PM »

Final Fantasy Crisis Core.

*SPOILER*
After all your work Zack gets shot down in the end by SOLDIERS. You can keep fighting but you will eventually get injured then overwhelmed and then die. If you have played Final Fantasy 7 and then this all if any respect for cloud will be lost.
krasimir
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2011, 04:45:41 AM »

Frankly, I hated Jarhead which the the kind of MOVIE you describe. So games that end without you even taking a shot at the BAD guys, well, suck!

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2011, 04:59:52 AM »

7th saga (at the end you go into a time loop and become a king who is killed and replaced by a villain before the game begins, so the game begins all over again and the time loop means your actions were meaningless)

vandal hearts (where at the end of the game at the end of a hard-fought war the game just says something like 'although the heroes acted greatly, nobody remembered them, and soon things returned to how they used to be, ultimately there was no change at all from the actions of the heroes, the world was still full of war, chaotic and a bad place to live in'

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2011, 05:19:59 PM »

Why even losing should be under the fate of epic of awesome epicness that plague game?

http://www.ulitsa-dimitrova.com/

-pib-
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2011, 09:14:11 AM »

Gauntlet 4:

SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2011, 12:08:53 PM »

Yggdra Union:
Ending 3 -

Ending 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzFPOkSrKyg#t=1m38s

(Ending 1 is technically "good" for the protagonists but leads to tragedy in the sequels...)

Polygraph
Level 0

Abraham de Lacy Giuseppe Casey Thomas O'Malley

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2011, 05:56:24 PM »

Half Life? You screw up the earth, and then at the end it seems like you screw up some other dimension as well?
This.
Except, Half Life Episode 2. 
And there's some old game, um, Clocktower? I dunno.  I think it was on the PSX.  You're being chased by some little kid with a big knife and like, 5/6 of the endings are horribad.

JUST AS PLANNED.
Marc Truant
Level 0

Dun dun dunn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2011, 05:30:45 PM »

And there's some old game, um, Clocktower? I dunno.  I think it was on the PSX.  You're being chased by some little kid with a big knife and like, 5/6 of the endings are horribad.

Wasn't it a giant pair of scissors...?

And I'm gonna have to second Red Dead Redemption. The ending just pushed me to tears.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic