Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 03:28:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsGDC 2011 - Get Togethers
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: GDC 2011 - Get Togethers  (Read 46884 times)
Kayla
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: December 08, 2010, 01:44:40 PM »

GDC Week At-A-Glance
Sun Feb 27: Flash Game Summit
Mon Feb 28 - Tues Mar 1: GDC Summits & Tutorials
Wed Mar 2 - Fri Mar 4: GDC Main Conference

But the REAL GDC happens at the parties...
> Unofficial Party List

Best Places to Meet People:
Do you come here often?

IGF Pavilion (Mar 2-4): This is always indie-meet-up central. All alone? Want to meet-up and chill with other indies? Wander by the IGF pavilion on the expo floor and I'm sure you'll walk away with a new friend or two. Buy those IGF finalists lunch or bring them a beverage. Working the expo floor is hard work and they deserve your love.

Winnitron 1000 (Mar 2-4): Something tells me this booth is going to be popular. And with its close proximity to the IGF pavilion you just know you'll be in indie-town. Play awesome games, say hi to some wonderful indies and make lunch, dinner or drinking plans.
>More Info on Winnitron 1000 @ GDC

Westfield Mall Food Court: We all need to eat and Westfield is pretty darn close to Moscone. It has lots of space and lots of food options. I guarantee you there's an indie or two chowing down at any given lunch-hour. Bring your friends, you never know who you'll run into.

Do the Twitter Thing:
Moscone had great WiFi last year for those without a 3G plan in the US. This made Twitter useful for broadcasting your location or meet-up plans. Use the tag #gdctig and we'll all come running to your awesome party location.

Stuff we're planning in the following pages

TIGSource GDC DAY 2 MEETUP
Planning thread: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=17820.0
What: Indie get-together and hangout time
When: 3/1/11, (Directly after the last Indie summit session)
Where: San Fransisco Public Library, 20-30 minutes' walk from GDC
How to Find Us:
>Read the planning thread

Kill Screen Vs. Scandinavia - PARTY!
When: Thursday March 3rd
What: Kill Screen loves Scandinavia and is throwing a party for the object of their affection. Copenhagen Game Collective is curating the night. Free booze, indie games, music, mirth, and a lot of tall, beautiful, blond-haired people.
> Buy your ticket here
Link: http://www.copenhagengamecollective.org/e/?event_id=8
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 10:32:13 AM by Kayla » Logged
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 04:27:11 PM »

Totally down for meetups and hangouts, though I don't know that I'll be in San Fran any earlier than I need to be...

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
Gary the Llama
Level 0

World's Angriest Llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 08:55:09 PM »

I'll possibly be in San Francisco during the GDC dates and I'm thinking about buying an Expo pass, if I can afford it. I would definitely be down for meetups. I'm really just interested in meeting other indies.
Auratus
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 04:54:53 PM »

I'll probably arrive in San Fransisco a few days early and it would be great fun to meet some cool people beforehand. It will be my first GDC so I'm totally excited :D
Pietepiet
Pixelhead
Level 9

hello <3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 05:16:20 AM »

I'm in SF on the 25th and I'm leaving on the 7th, so I'm game!
tyronehenrie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 08:16:47 PM »

I've never been, but I plan on going this year. Right now I'm planning the 1st through the 4th.

Would it be better to come earlier if possible? That sounds like when everyone is hanging out.

racter
Level 0

Jake Elliott / Cardboard Computer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 08:09:04 PM »

I'll just be there for the duration of the conference, but I'd love to meet up with any of y'all!  It's my first time at GDC/IGF & I'm excited about the opportunity to meet folks in person Smiley

Jake Elliott / Cardboard Computer. Recent games: We Were You | Ruins
weasello
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 11:55:34 AM »

This out fit has a dinner Saturday night, before FGS:
http://indiegiving.com/

So maybe a time not that? (or we can all go there!)

IndieElite4Eva
anosou
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 08:30:32 AM »

Most likely going from Sweden on the 26th, arriving like 5:30PM in SF local time. Dunno how people will feel then but I'm expecting we'll be too tired and jetlagged to jam. Who knows though, it WOULD be awesome.
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 04:40:17 PM »

hey champs, i get in on the morning of the 27th I think, staying at Galleria Park hotel thingy, and flying out again on the afternoon of the 4th.  no weekend parties for me this year!  still lookin forward to seeing everybody...

cup full of magic charisma
anosou
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 07:20:31 PM »

It seems we'll travel out at the 25th instead, arriving sometime on that day! Maybe us Oxeye guys would be up for a jam...? bring on some details :O
Gary the Llama
Level 0

World's Angriest Llama!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 08:31:47 PM »

On second thought, would it be weird if I didn't attend GDC but still attempted to get together with you guys outside the conference? I'm thinking it may be worth saving up for a full pass next year, rather than just going with an expo pass this year. What do you guys think? Is the expo pass worth it for an indie working on his first game who won't be looking for jobs there, but would like to network and meet other like-minded indies?
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 09:32:45 PM »

i've heard a lot crazier things than that Smiley i'm certain you won't be the only one on that schedule either

cup full of magic charisma
SoulShading
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 11:47:02 PM »

I will be around for GDC so let me know if anything happens :-)
I will mostly go there to beg the press to look at my games so I'm sure I'll be ready for any party or/and drinks that comes my way.
Kayla
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 02:16:41 PM »

Awesome! People are replying to this thread!

Looks like there is a small percentage of folks coming in early enough to warrant a pre-GDC/FGS get-together. I think it's still worth doing so keep posting here if you're in.

@tyronehenrie I wouldn't change your plans. There will be lots of hanging out every evening.
@anosou Awesome to hear your flight details bring you to SF earlier!
@AdamAtomic What a party pooper Wink You still planning to do the art jam again this year? That was another great get-together.
@Gary Please do come out! Have you thought about trying to volunteer to get free admission to the conference? An Expo pass would at least allow you to chill around the IGF area (a great meet-up place for indies that want to hang). Whether you attend the conference or not, make sure you take part in the extra-curricular drinking festivities.
anosou
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2011, 08:08:13 AM »

Oxeye will stay at the Downtown Hostel. Anyone else staying there? According to Jeb tons of devs always gather there during GDC. Smiley
Gary the Llama
Level 0

World's Angriest Llama!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2011, 08:56:24 PM »

@Gary Please do come out! Have you thought about trying to volunteer to get free admission to the conference? An Expo pass would at least allow you to chill around the IGF area (a great meet-up place for indies that want to hang). Whether you attend the conference or not, make sure you take part in the extra-curricular drinking festivities.

Good call on volunteering. I hadn't even thought of that. My daughter just spent a night in the hospital after a seizure so I'm not sure if we're still going to San Francisco. I guess I'll know after I get the bill... If I'm still going, I'll definitely sign up to volunteer.
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2011, 01:48:42 PM »

Crap, I got rejected from the volunteer program. I don't think it was anything personal, it sounded like they just had an enormous number of volunteer submissions. (in the range of three or four times as many as they actually needed) But this means that I probably can't afford to get an all-inclusive pass. I'll have to peruse the options again. I think I have enough socked away to still go, but I'll probably have to settle for one of the budget passes. I was really hoping for the all-access that a volunteer position would have allowed. Twenty hours of volunteer work over the course of the week is a bargain for what you get out of it.

I'm seriously considering driving this time. Last year I flew out there, and ended up having to carry more of my stuff with me than I would have wanted. I live in AZ, so its about a seven to eight hour drive. (maybe a little more) Gas isn't as soul-crushingly expensive as it used to be, and I think I would appreciate the freedom of being able to carry my stuff with me.

Now I just need to start looking for a place to stay.
Pietepiet
Pixelhead
Level 9

hello <3

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2011, 01:58:36 PM »

Oxeye will stay at the Downtown Hostel. Anyone else staying there?

Me and a couple buddies are right around the corner in the Union Square Plaza Hotel. It's like 2 minutes walking Smiley
Gary the Llama
Level 0

World's Angriest Llama!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2011, 02:48:35 PM »

I live in AZ

Sup Arizona buddy? Are you in the Phoenix area?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic