Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411888 Posts in 69426 Topics- by 58475 Members - Latest Member: szálamireaktor

June 07, 2024, 07:52:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsGDC 2011 - Get Togethers
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: GDC 2011 - Get Togethers  (Read 47149 times)
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2011, 04:14:02 PM »

Okay.  So!  We start to meet up after closing time (4 PM?) day 1 of GDC, and wait around 15-30 minutes.  Then we all walk as one big ol' gaggle of indies down Market towards the library.  Stragglers are encouraged to catch up.

We hang out at the library, talking about games, making games, drawing things, showing off.  People who bring power strips are worshiped like gods.  We convert all the homeless library-goers into indie freeware aficionados.  Some eccentric participants make a point of finding strange books and applying their ideas awkwardly to game design.

Hangout time lasts until 7-8 PM or whenever the library kicks us out.  Remaining participants then head out as a group, gradually split up and have dinner.  All reflect on what a grand time it's been.

How does this sound?  We should contact the library ahead of time both for politeness and to see about the possibility of reserving some kind of space.

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2011, 09:56:28 AM »

After much deliberation, I have regrettably decided that I will not be able to attend GDC this year. After going last year, I determined that I definitely wanted more than just the Expo Pass. But I can't afford the expense of any of the other passes, combined with the cost of hotels/motels. The next best pass I could purchase would require that I stay the entire week. (so more hotel costs) The next pass above that would mean I would only be staying for a few days, but would cost twice as much as the pass below it. And then there's the fact that I currently work as an independent contractor. So every day I don't work is a day that I'm not getting paid.

On the bright side, I will be able to work on my personal game projects during GDC. I've been wanting some more time for coding, and not having to worry about skipping off to California will free up my schedule. I hope all of you who are going have a great time. Post pictures and stories when you get back!
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2011, 01:27:33 PM »

You know, I think going to GDC without a pass and just hanging around at the social events is actually pretty viable.  I shelled out for IGF, and I *really* hope that an indie pass crops up next year, but if one doesn't and I don't have super monies, I'll just go passless.  (Though an expo pass or student pass is kinda worth it too)

Also, regarding the last proposition on the plans, the main library is open until 6 on Monday and until 8 on Tuesday.  It's looking like a good location, so what say we move the event to Tuesday?  (There's also some secretive event on Monday a friend of mine says a lot of folks are going to but won't say anything about)

The main library has six meeting spaces which can be reserved independently: three conference rooms which are rated for 15 people each and are probably well-powered, and two larger meeting spaces, one of which is a large auditorium and the other of which is a two-part area laid out like a presentation room.  The conference rooms will probably be more preferable, but we might need two of them depending on who's coming.

Anyway, thoughts?  Objections to Tuesday or the library?  (From anyone)

(Also, I made a google map of the walking path from Moscone to the library and it is quite reasonable)

Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2011, 01:56:27 PM »

Pardon the double-post.

I made a poll here so we can count up how many of us are interested and what days work for whom.  (Post GDC times for all)

No signup required, just fill it in:
http://doodle.com/kiv9b2nrqdaepu9p

Triplefox
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2011, 06:12:47 PM »

I put myself down for any day of the week. That will probably change once I learn of other events but I really haven't done much planning yet Durr...?

Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2011, 08:12:44 PM »

It's all pretty improvised--just figuring it's good to see what works out best for people in general, given other events and such.

Lau
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: February 04, 2011, 01:34:38 AM »

The second best looking guy in the Danish game industry
Alberto
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: February 04, 2011, 01:52:35 AM »

Super excited about attending GDC this year! I'm really looking forward to meeting everyone and hanging out.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: February 04, 2011, 02:04:12 AM »

an anti-gdc sounds magnificent. I'll try to that.

Auratus
« Reply #89 on: February 04, 2011, 04:19:08 AM »

Doodle! You can't have enough polls (well...). I also put myself down for any day of the week, although I suspect that might change as the conference looms closer. I'm still interested in a pre-gdc meetup/jam as well so I hope that the saturday event is still scheduled Smiley

Lau, that looks interesting! Although I have really no idea what it's all about :D
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: February 04, 2011, 04:40:01 AM »

although I suspect that might change as the conference looms closer

It's like this for everyone.  I'm mostly just trying to help us figure out a rough head count and ideal date.  Tuesday and Thursday look good.

And what's all this Kill Screen business?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 04:47:16 AM by Cellulose » Logged

Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: February 05, 2011, 12:05:44 AM »

I'm not sure I'll be attending GDC itself this year, but I'll definitely try to make it up to meet up with you folks and hang out, since I live relatively close to SF.

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: February 05, 2011, 03:38:10 AM »

I WILL BE DOWNTOWN DURING THE TIMES MENTIONED, READY TO SPRING A TRAP ON THE INDIES!! THIS WILL BE PART OF AN IRL GAME I WILL INVENT CALLED "PHUBANS TIME!" WHERE I MAY PRANK YOU, OR TRY TO SEXUALLY ASSAULT YOU, OR DRESS UP AS SOMEONE YOU WON'T RECOGNIZE AND ACT CRAZY. I MAY OR MAY NOT FILM EVERYTHING!! BE WARNED!! AS SOON AS YOU ENTER SAN FRANCISCO YOU ARE IN MY TURF AND THE GAME SHALL BEGIN. BE READY!!

HERE IS THE FIRST CLUE OF WHAT TO WATCH OUT FOR:

W-what?? Who, Me?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 12:24:29 PM by phubans » Logged

bengrue
Level 0

I code. A lot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: February 05, 2011, 06:26:17 PM »

Do any of you city-folk have extra couches for crashing upon?  Living in the south bay is not conducive to late night hacking and/or drinking and/or Madhouse tournaments.

Current Project: Sully: A Very Serious RPG

Executive Producer of Dungeons of Dredmor

@bengrue on the twitternets
Rynen10K
Level 1

can't be beat.

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 06, 2011, 12:25:49 AM »

Hey, Kids!

I've been wanting to go to GDC for the last few years now, and I think I might finally be able to finally head up this year Smiley

Mostly just want to go and hang out with everyone, but I'm kinda interested in at least seeing the actual convention as well. I'm trying for the cheapo (ha) tickets asap, but if I can only go for one or two days, when would be the best time? Before the show? Whenever IGF is? Should I bother buying a ticket to GDC at all and just hang at the super art jam?
Triplefox
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: February 06, 2011, 01:51:51 AM »

GDC is worth a visit just once on the non-wealthy-person's passes. On the cheap ones walking the expo floor will get old after a day or two, and further attendance is only worthwhile if you have some particular business angle in mind that involves cold-calling, in person, large numbers of people in and around the convention center.

Similarly, the sessions and summits can be worthwhile, but they're also made available online, free or paid in a la carte form, so it's really hard to justify spending big to attend in person unless you're on someone else's dime, you volunteered, or have ample money to spend and nothing else to do with your time in the city.

The real action for developers - networking, learning, etc. - is "unconference" like and happens at parties. Visiting for the parties is the most worthwhile use of your time, though each party can be a hit-or-miss affair.

Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: February 06, 2011, 02:38:55 AM »

So all things told, how's about Thursday for the library meetup?  It works well for the expo pass folks.  Or do most of those come for the full week?  :\

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: February 06, 2011, 10:10:13 AM »

Do any of you city-folk have extra couches for crashing upon?  Living in the south bay is not conducive to late night hacking and/or drinking and/or Madhouse tournaments.

Ben, you totally have a spot at the Phubansdrome if you need it! (that is, my apartment!) I have an inflatable bed... And even some inflatable women!  Well, hello there!

anosou
« Reply #98 on: February 08, 2011, 12:45:38 PM »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/killscreen/were-throwing-a-scandinavian-indie-games-party

So ridiculously in. Pledged $150 because this needs to happen AND I've always wanted a pair of those headphones. And soundtracks? Wee!

Anyway, go to this party.  Beer!
PlayMeTape
« Reply #99 on: February 08, 2011, 12:48:45 PM »

Oops, must've just missed your post anosou: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=17748.0

Haha, but that's alright I guess. As long as everyone sees it I'm satisfied!  Beer!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic