Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:08:59 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Zodiac Gate
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: The Zodiac Gate  (Read 22867 times)
Chris Pavia
« on: December 08, 2010, 08:30:02 PM »

The Zodiac Gate

Hello, welcome to my Dev Log! After attending a local game jam recently and showing people the beginnings of my game for the first time, I was motivated to start a thread here. Mainly to keep myself on task and hopefully get some objective feedback when needed.

What is Zodiac Gate? A fairly simple, fairly short RPG. I was inspired primarily by the 3D DS remake of FF 4. In order to make it something I can complete at some point it's rather short, taking place in a single dungeon. One of my goals was to do something more interesting than the old FF menu-driven, turn based battle system. While I kept the random-encounter aspect, I'm implementing a simple match-3/4 type puzzle game that controls both the player's party and the enemies. Oh, and each dungeon level is procedurally generated. There are a couple other systems in place, but they are secret Smiley

It's all being done in 3D using Unity 3D. Partly because I'm a better 3D artist than 2D, and because I'm a designer/artist much more than a coder, only being able to script basic gameplay with my limited C# skills. Maybe I'll find an actual coder at some point! Although they'd probably faint after seeing how terribly the game is put together. Now that I'm actively working on the art, 3D characters/environments/etc will definitely be increasing my content production time, but I'm hoping to be able to reuse a lot of the content for a series of short games in the same world.

How far along is it? All the main gameplay is working, but very buggy. It can be played from beginning to end (except for the boss fight), but isn't pretty or tuned. I needed a break from coding, so now I'm working on the art!

Project Status

• Characters:          50%          All characters modeled, almost done with texturing
  • Environments:         30%          Random level gen works, art is currently placeholder
  • Gameplay             50%          1st pass of most gameplay is in, but buggy
  • GUI/Front End        40%          Main Menu almost done, rest is in placeholder
  • Audio                0%           No movement yet
  • FX                   0%           No movement yet
  • Cinematics           5%          Still in design stage

« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 08:26:19 AM by Chris Pavia » Logged
Chris Pavia
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 07:24:54 AM »

The four party members in various stages of completion:

Fighter, Healer, Mage, and Archer.
Ataraxic
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 08:39:19 AM »

The art is fantastic.

Can you tell us anything about the combat system?
Chris Pavia
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 09:32:10 AM »

Sure thing Ataraxic. When I get home from work I'll put up some some screenshots, describing it probably won't get the point across well enough.
Doktor_Q
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 09:58:53 AM »

This looks great. I'm looking forward to it!
Chris Pavia
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 09:14:12 PM »

Okay, here is a shot of the battle scene, all the art is purely placeholder:

It may be hard to tell exactly what is going on here. There are 5 colored cubes, one for each party member (red=fighter, blue=healer, yellow=mage, green=archer), and the enemy(grey), each with a corresponding round token along the bottom area.

When the battle begins, the colored tokens begin appearing at the left side of the 4-lane section at the bottom.  They are always moving to the right, and disappear off the field when they hit the right side. For each grey token that makes it off the field this way, the enemy gets an immediate attack. Having multiple vertical tokens make it off the field in a single column acts like a critical attack.

The player has the ability to remove the grey tokens from the field before they hit the right side. The player clicks and drags on an adjacent series of three tokens to create combos. They are removed if it is a valid combo.

One such combo is 3 adjacent tokens, where the middle token is grey and the end tokens are the same color. This combo removes all 3 from play, negating an eventual attack from the enemy.

Making a combo of 3 or 4 tokens of the same color will allow the corresponding party member to attack (based on color), then remove the tokens from the field. A match 4 is more powerful than a match 3 obviously.

The healer is slightly different. Instead of getting an attack when a blue match is made, he gets a free heal for one or more party members.

A combo of 3 or 4 tokens of all different colors will partially 'charge' those party members.  After 4 charges a character will get an attack.

More difficult enemies may spawn special attack tokens, which have a specific effect if they make it off the right side of the field.  For example, one special attack may speed up the token scrolling, or could destroy all tokens along it's rail.

To make it easier for the player to make combos, the player can right click and drag on two adjacent tokens to switch their positions. Thus the player can try to arrange the tokens to make combos before they hit the right side.

If a party member loses all their HP, tokens of their color will be unable to be used in any combos.

Fight is done when one side loses all their HP.

Umm, does that make sense? There are details here and there that may change when I get back to coding and tuning.
Chris Pavia
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 09:39:11 AM »

And here is a work in progress shot of one of the enemies. Modeling is done (except for his weapon), haven't started the texture yet.

Chris Pavia
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 12:13:39 PM »

Forgot to mention that Jupiterman has agreed to create the music, providing he has time between his paying gigs.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 03:39:38 PM »

That game-play IS a little hard to describe, I can tell. Sounds way fun, though, and quite the interesting mix of RPG and puzzle!

Maybe there could be special attack tokens for your side, too?
Chris Pavia
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 03:49:16 PM »

I've been contemplating adding 'item' tokens the player can find in chests around each level. Each character having a special attack token would be cool too. Or maybe something like Chrono Trigger's double\triple tech attacks if you can make a combo with multiple characters?
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 04:26:27 PM »

I've been contemplating adding 'item' tokens the player can find in chests around each level. Each character having a special attack token would be cool too. Or maybe something like Chrono Trigger's double\triple tech attacks if you can make a combo with multiple characters?

Perhaps you have the option of making a special token appear instead of attacking with your charges; if you do multiple special tokens at once, you get a cool combo.
Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 04:28:57 PM »

Liking the art style! :D

Chris Pavia
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2010, 04:50:31 PM »

Perhaps you have the option of making a special token appear instead of attacking with your charges; if you do multiple special tokens at once, you get a cool combo.

Good idea, I like it!

Liking the art style! :D

Thanks!
Chris Pavia
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2010, 05:10:42 PM »

A Giant Rat appeared! No textures yet.
Doktor_Q
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2010, 11:49:39 AM »

Best giant rat ever.
Chris Pavia
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2010, 01:08:36 PM »

Don't fear the reaper!

I needed a break from modeling so I textured his scythe. Only 2 more characters left to model, then I can go back and start texturing them all!
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2010, 02:07:01 PM »

I imagine the Reaper being a very awesome bonus boss.
Chris Pavia
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2010, 03:29:46 PM »

I'm just about done with the Boss. It looks so cool, but I don't want to post it and spoil it!!  Angry
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2010, 04:16:46 PM »

haha this is all looking so cool  Smiley
Ataraxic
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2010, 04:22:20 PM »

I am very much looking forward to this.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic