Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411197 Posts in 69315 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 06:00:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPike 'n Shot [an arcade Pike and Shoot'em up] (alpha v0.2)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
Print
Author Topic: Pike 'n Shot [an arcade Pike and Shoot'em up] (alpha v0.2)  (Read 55284 times)
de11ed
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: February 16, 2016, 02:45:36 PM »

The wolf can run now ;_;

I went to a bad place.

I'm sorry guys, I was trying to fix the traffic problems in my sim city. I mean look at this shit.

Hey de11ed!

Dear god... Yes, you should really clean up that mess before you do anything else!

Nice to see some progress man-dude! Those wolfs looking awfully sexy.

composer • producer • songwriter • human
Website | Twitter | Soundcloud
James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: April 29, 2016, 08:34:56 PM »

Get'im!

Pike `n Shot  the first pshmup ever made. Twitter:@JamesEdSmith
Metalcallous
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 04, 2016, 06:26:29 PM »

Hahahahah

I like the back dodge that makes it believable that the enemy is missing.
James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: July 24, 2016, 12:50:13 AM »

Back to work, ultra-slacker

James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: July 28, 2016, 06:12:47 AM »

The kick that's supposed to be in between the two strikes isn't really working, I'm gonna have to tweak it a little.

James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: August 04, 2016, 02:24:53 PM »

Did some more animating for Los Colmillos

Peace Soft
Level 0

All magic is made from corn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: August 04, 2016, 03:49:32 PM »

God damnit i wanted to make this!! It looks great btw. Loving that flat black background with little details here and there, it's really moody and good.
skaz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: August 14, 2016, 05:53:35 AM »

I really want to play this game. Keep up!

LOST FORTRESS site! 2d action adventure exploration in an abandoned Dwarf fortress, overrun by weird slug-like creatures.
James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: August 24, 2016, 01:02:18 AM »

Now you face, Los Colmillos!

Spawgremk
« Reply #149 on: September 02, 2016, 02:16:39 PM »

Fuck this game is cute as fuck!  I was working on a schmup a few years back and made a scrolling level editor, but quit after some issues with whatever monster I was using to program, seeing this project and how long you've been working on it and coming back to it kind of makes me want to dig it back up again.  It's p. inspirational.
James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: September 07, 2016, 09:58:54 PM »

I programatically create gray-scale versions of my wolf sprite sheet in the game to add a little variety.

... seeing this project and how long you've been working on it and coming back to it kind of makes me want to dig it back up again.  It's p. inspirational.

Yay, I'm an inspiration!

Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: September 08, 2016, 05:15:14 AM »

I have been following this since page 5. I'm so thrilled to see it's still alive that I feel like going outside and discharging my musket (not a euphemism) for sheer joy!

flipswitchx
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: September 14, 2016, 02:08:40 PM »

Great animations and very original idea me thinks. It says shmup but feels like something new  Toast Left Durr...? Toast Right

Peace Soft
Level 0

All magic is made from corn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: September 20, 2016, 07:39:13 PM »

I've played the alpha like five times over the past couple days. It's really, really good. The core mechanics feel so fucking solid, and the way the little guys have a certain amount of individual initiative yet it always feels like a tight action game instead of a watered-down RTS is just superb craft. The size and power and unwieldiness of the formation is unique and great and i'm impressed by the amount of complexity that develops when the dopplesoldners and recruits are thrown into the mix. The graphical style is perfect, the use of money as the health meter is INSPIRED.

I do think it's weird that the melee orcs immediately shuffle away when they get past your pike line. Isn't that what they should be trying to do? Right now it makes em a total non-threat except when there's enough of them to block your shots at a slinger.
James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: September 24, 2016, 08:40:40 AM »

Los Colmillos is almost complete. I just need to clean him up a little and animate his sick intro and death animations.

I had to do a couple revisions on the mechanics of the fight, flip flopping between whether I wanted you to be able to hold off wolves with pikes or not. But in the end my original idea of having your pikes just be a last ditch defense against Los Colmillos himself worked well once I figured out how his actual charge attack should work. Him releasing all his remaining wolves as a screen before he charges in proved to be a good solution. I'm satisfied with how the overall fight cycle ends up feeling too.

I think I might just give him some more "health" so that the fight takes a little longer, even if you know what you're doing. I'll probably give each of his stages an initial hit of health before the transitions into the next stage(shield -> armour -> helmet).

The music is just some randomly generated music that I ran through an NESifier.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 12:44:26 PM by James Edward Smith » Logged

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: September 24, 2016, 12:48:49 PM »

Looks hilarious controlling a group like that. Keep up the good work!

One thing that bothers me a bit is the invincibility flashing.. I know what it is and it's standard for the era you're evolving on, but I wish you could just repeatedly hit the boss Smiley

James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: October 04, 2016, 06:08:46 AM »

At last, Los Colmillos is defeated! Traveling caravans can now feel safe from Saurian raids; or can they?

James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: October 16, 2016, 04:48:45 PM »

Streaming my lazy game dev http://twitch.tv/jamesedsmith

Metalcallous
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 19, 2016, 05:37:32 AM »

Neat first boss :D

Perhaps for an added difficulty, make some of the wolves disable the pike, like they impale themselves on a pike making that pikeman struggle with his pike for a few seconds. If no other pikeman is there to stab the next foe, this will leave the pikeman exposed to being melee'd. This will give incentive to evade or shoot down the horde before a lot of them could get close.

Perhaps could be a similar fashion when an enemy with a 2 handed sword can swipe the pike wall, knocking away the pikes and micro-stunning the 2-3 pikemen. To avoid this, one simply has to untap the pike hold button to make a quick evade of the swipe. Makes for a neat mini skill game within the game  Shrug
thekosmonaut
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 19, 2016, 06:21:46 AM »

Wow, neat stuff!

At one point I had a similar idea - "Phalanx" where you could control a platoon of hoplites, change their orientation, their line strength (width) etc. and try to fight off enemies.

In my case it was a bit dull though, I thought then it might work better with it being a multiplayer game where some people could be archers in the back and the rest would to try to stay together.

I then went on to make some keyframe animation in JavaScript and uploaded that variant here http://quickgame6.atwebpages.com/quickgame11/index.html but it has nothing of the original concept.

Either way -

your game looks fun! Wolves are cool

Maybe having 4 or 5 types of line men would be interesting, when you have to set their order (and who to take) before battle and make it efficient for good swapping.
For example shield guys, which could deflect potential enemy bullets, swords, bayonets, etc. and then have enemies that are effective vs different types of weaponry.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic