Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411197 Posts in 69315 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 03:01:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPike 'n Shot [an arcade Pike and Shoot'em up] (alpha v0.2)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Pike 'n Shot [an arcade Pike and Shoot'em up] (alpha v0.2)  (Read 55283 times)
James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2011, 12:13:41 AM »

Took a break from enemy behaviour coding and level design to try and finish this up some more before bed.

I really wanted this halberd to work... but I don't think it really does ;_;

Pike `n Shot  the first pshmup ever made. Twitter:@JamesEdSmith
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2011, 02:23:27 AM »

It looks grate at first glance, but the more I look the more weird it becomes. Can't explain it.
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2011, 10:22:18 AM »

I think you should pick one brown and stick with it.

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2011, 11:18:04 AM »

I think it might work better if you removed the vertical ribbon so the K was just the halberd. I'm not sure but it's worth a  go.
this

I think you should pick one brown and stick with it.
and also this

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2011, 01:10:24 PM »

The halberd feels a bit like it's overdoing it to me. If the t of 'Shot' was a gun or something mainly extending upwards, it would be nicely balanced, and maintain readability. Looks nice so far though, the ribbon pixelling has a nice Amiga vibe. The game looks interesting too!

motorherp
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2011, 01:13:30 PM »

This is starting to remind me of North & South on the amiga.  I used to love that game.

I'm looking forward to giving this a crack  Smiley
James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2011, 04:45:09 PM »

While I'm messing with an other concept too that is a little more "comic booky" looking for lack of a better term (Think stuff like "Groo The Wanderer"), for now I have this.

●▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬●

Fig. 2
●▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬●

I still wanna add a breast plate and/or helmet in there somewhere and I want a skull in there too so that it can talk when you move your cursor between the menu options. I want the whole thing to look more "heavy metal" style than it does.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 10:11:21 PM by Geothermal » Logged

James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2011, 04:39:48 PM »

In my head I always liked the idea of a picture from the perspective of being inside a pike square kind of. The idea being that you can see the pikes extended sort of away from you and too the right a little so you are like standing in the first or second row of the pike square and lookign at the guy to your left and ahead of you kinda. In the scene there would be knights bearing down on you and the guy you are looking at would be firing his handgonne at the knight and the shot would be visable with all the smoke coming out of the barrel and then a visible thin line of smoke or something extending out of the intial shot and point at the lead ball itself which would be the same distance away from the knight as his lance was from the shooter.

It's inspired by that old woodblock picture of the arquebusier shooting at a gendarme that looks like that. But that picture is from a side view and the shooter and the rider are the only too things in it. This would be from more of an angle like you are beside the shooter and also the pikes would be sticking up all over. Also that picture is depicting a more modern period that I want to depict in my game. Stuff changed very quickly in this period but Pike & Shot is trying to look more like say 1450 than it is like 1550. If that's a distinction that perhaps only I understand, it's basically guns are around, but everything still looks medieval. Longswords and Messers, not side swords and rapiers and armour is still prevelant and useful.

Uykered
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2011, 06:08:09 PM »

This game looks really cool.
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2011, 06:30:36 PM »

I got that image in my head after I read that description. I think I deviated a bit, but yeah. It was pretty vivid in my head and I really felt like sketching it.

(also: f-yeah for terrible colors and shading!)

James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2011, 07:21:46 PM »

Yeah, sort of like that, but looking more to the left so that the pikes and stuff stick out towards your right a bit. Also the knight would be closer to the pike square, ontop of them really and probably others around him but you wouldn't be able to see that many cause of the "camera's" position and angle. Also when I say "knight" I mean a mounted guy.

Random hilarity:
http://www.pinrepair.com/arcade/matchlo.htm

James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2011, 07:39:14 PM »

Oh also, Gabe.

An other idea I love is side art that would look like a cross between these sorts of things:

and classic 80s arcade fantasy art like this.

James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2011, 11:18:20 PM »

Working on getting my demo level done.

An old Helatian highway, Barinyoni Road was build well over a thousand years ago. The fact that it still remains usable and has yet to be improved upon is a testiment to the engineering prowess of the fallen Helatian Empire.

A battle breaks out when Snakeman brigands raid a caravan traveling along the road.

kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2011, 11:51:23 AM »

Whoah. This is looking good.

Gluntronics
Level 0

The Future is Here ©1996

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2014, 12:37:54 AM »

This is looking really great! I can't wait to play it.
motorherp
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2014, 12:41:51 AM »

This is looking really great! I can't wait to play it.

Judging from the last time this thread was active since you necro'd it I wouldn't hold my breath.
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2014, 10:59:03 AM »

Nah, Geothermal is still around.

James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2014, 11:12:13 AM »

Yeah, I totes started working on this again too.

I talked about it a little in the Ferdy the Cat thread.

I'm slow at dev though. Also, I'm not to be trusted >_> YET.

I'm gonna have something out in the near future though, I SWEAR, I PROMISE IT  Cry

James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2014, 03:24:37 AM »

I tried new screen capturing software to make this. It allows me to put music in the video easily, but the frame rate blows so my apologies.

Just some footage of some simple enemy pattern experimentation.

The music is Brother Android - SPACE HYMNS - The Final Landing

My Devlog from the last few months, dashes indicated work done, stars indicate ideas or thoughts I don't want to forget, etc.

-Started dev again
-fixed some level editor problems
-implemented random, self replicating terrain
*Pattern Actions should name themselves the default name of the action if they aren’t given one

-working on level creation
*add visual cue to shot being ready to shoot (grey out, gradually ungrey out and then flash, maybe come up with cooler idea for this)
*Make game more about protecting other people (gold and item drops when you save people)

*Possible mechanic to prototype: charging enemies are scared of pike screens if they don’t have shields. People being fired upon will flee. Make loss and collection of new troops more fluid and constant.

*Make lots of levels of troops like M&B. Neophyte troops fail at tasks and die easily, but from the early trials come decent troops that succeed regularly. Smart commanding reduces losses to acceptable amount. Needs testing to see if it can feel decent and not look too overwhelming data wise.

*noticable SMACK mark when your shots hit guys.

*Stop being a fuckface, start being a winner
*I like this idea of the pike screen as more of an effective defence and never really an attack
*break people’s shields or unhorse them to cause them to route in the face of pikes
-fixed level saving a little bit and got all levels to load instead of just one.

-implemented initial PIKE FEAR code for soldier class and called base from targeteer when they lose their shield.
*gotta think about when/if enemies should charge (when pikes are not down for instance)

-changed retreating soldiers into route and then routed soldiers
*came up with big important idea for THE LANCE

-fixed up the animation on routed troops a little bit
*still need to make them not run when ROUTE, only once ROUTED
-working on a BARONYANI ROAD LEVEL

-Did some level experimentation
*gotta make this level editor better

-made soldiers that are selected in editor stand out
*taking cues from shmups, have lots of things that just spawn and charge you, have things that give you a chance to shoot them and then punish you for not doing so quickly enough by THEN firing on you with a tracking shot.
*use knights to create annoying kill zones
*knights flee from pikes, gotta shoot ‘em
*knights could have predictable entry points when they charge and then flank, or they could auto target where you are to force you to move around like a tracking shot does.

-gave level editor form a move up/down button so you can change the order of stuff
-implemented tracking shot slingers
-added reload action to enemy formations
*Slingers are already feeling 100% more fun with these changes.

-did more work on goblin raid level
-introduced concept of " harder to kill, stay on the screen and move back and forth firing" formations
*experiment with more of these guys, bigger clusters of shield guys to give them more "health" as it were
-made some ongoing improvements to the level editor as stuff annoyed me enough to fix it up.
-got rid of shot troop "guarding" so that shot troops fire in a more predictable way and don't feel like they mess you up (annoying)
-made player shots not actually drop as they move, but just LOOK like they do, this also helps players to feel more in control of their shots.
*might wanna create a DESPAWN action for enemy formations

**POSSIBLE APIPHANY:
*You are a leader (La Pucelle, Gendarme, Condottiere) troops are a very liquid resource that you collect and use up very rapidly.
*your army is always spawning around you and gatherable, by walking into them and leading them, they stand less chance of being killed by random dangers
*valets bring you loaded pistols (condottiere)
*avoiding troops being killed is very difficult, what you need to protect is yourself(like a small hit box in a shump
*Alone, fighting the huge waves of enemies is impossible, so you collect up troops
*troops typically get used up when you attack with them.

-Doing some more level work (Idea of a prize you have to blow through hordes to get to to encourage pike use)
-made new formations automatically have dummy pattern action in them
-overode pike fear for now.

-fixes to charging and shooting for formations
-added in Pattern copy and pasting for formations
-started to add SIDES to formations made in the level editor so that I can later implement rescueable formations(this was actually a bunch of work, still more needs to be done to finish the concept)

-wrote some code for rescuing troops
-added level shift capability to the level editor

James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2014, 06:34:47 PM »

Bleh, that program sucks, here's some better looking videos done with fraps instead. Wheeeee.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic