Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 03:19:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPlay arcade & console games over the Internet
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Play arcade & console games over the Internet  (Read 3298 times)
Digitalghost
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: December 10, 2010, 04:20:59 PM »

Hey all,

Most of you probably know MAME (Multi Arcade Machine Emulator). Basically, it lets you play arcade games dating back from pong to arcade games circa 2006 on your PC. The volume of arcades supported by MAME is massive.

Some of you might even know about MESS. It's similar to MAME, but for consoles. With a single app you can play NES, SNES, Sega Master System, Genesis, N64, GBA, and a ton of others.

There's a program called Kaillera that allows you to play MAME games online with your friends, but it has some drawbacks:
-It only works for windows
-It does not gracefully handle dropped packets. The games will desync and become frustrating for all players if a packet is dropped
-It isn't open source
-It doesn't work with MESS, only MAME.

So I decided to write my own network wrapper around MAME & MESS, called ClientServerMAME & ClientServerMESS.  I've been working on it for a few months now and at this point it is stable and fast. It also compares the memory on all of the players to resolve any differences that can occur based on network lag, floating point inconsistency, etc. This means that you can play for hours without worrying about the games going out of sync and becoming unplayable.

So basically this adds stable netplay to over 10,000 games, including every console game up to n64.

Here's a video of me trying to play super mario kart against myself using an internet simulator:

I am now working on a program called MAMEHub that will let players meet and arrange games. MAMEHub also wraps ClientServerMAME and ClientServerMESS (which are command-line programs) with a nice GUI interface so you don't have to be a command-line guru to use them.

You can get the binaries and source code here: https://github.com/MisterTea/ClientServerMAME/downloads

You can read more about it and follow updates on my blog here: http://10ghost.blogspot.com

Lastly, here is a tutorial on using MAMEHub: http://10ghost.blogspot.com/p/mamehub-tutorial.html

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 06:27:54 AM by Digitalghost » Logged

Underworld Hockey Club, bodycheck Lucifer through the glass.

http://www.underworldhockeyclub.com/
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 04:50:23 PM »

So basically this adds stable netplay to over 10,000 games, including every console game up to n64.
I love you.

hi
Valyou
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 05:20:17 PM »

I love you.
MaloEspada
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 05:42:09 PM »

This means that you can play for hours without worrying about the games going out of sync and becoming unplayable.

wait, wait.

are you for real?

gonna test this later tomorrow, i guess.
PKBT
Level 1

cool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 06:13:03 PM »

Did I just see stable and netplay in the same sentence? I must be dreaming.
Kudos to you, good sir. Gentleman
oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 06:47:43 PM »

This is bigger than Wikileaks!

No, just kidding.

But really, holy crap.
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 07:00:08 PM »

This is the single best thing that has happened to me all day. Maybe the whole year. I love you.
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 02:16:13 AM »

Wait... Wha- Whaaaaaaaaat!?!!!!!!!

RotateMe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 04:27:07 AM »

Just recently a friend and I spent about 4 hours trying to play a little Secret of Mana via Internet, without success. If this works, I am very very pleased. Thanks!
MaloEspada
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 04:39:11 AM »

i've tried it with PKBT:

with MAMEHub both of us got a problem connecting to the hub server, which i guess it has to do with some ports, but we didn't go further in that.

trying just the command line version, i got a weird error dealing with 'stack crawl' and something about not being able to write memory.
Digitalghost
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2010, 06:16:03 AM »

i've tried it with PKBT:

with MAMEHub both of us got a problem connecting to the hub server, which i guess it has to do with some ports, but we didn't go further in that.

trying just the command line version, i got a weird error dealing with 'stack crawl' and something about not being able to write memory.

You have to forward port 5805 UDP and TCP on your router to your computer. I try upnpc and a couple of other tricks to automatically forward the port, but if these things fail you have to do it manually.

The stack crawl thing is strange, it might be that you don't have a recent enough version of DirectX.  Can you email me a screenshot of what the console said and also what you put into the command-line? jgmath2000 [[at]] gmail.com

Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 03:23:29 PM »

This is awesome, will give it a go tomorrow.

Digitalghost
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 03:32:31 PM »

This is awesome, will give it a go tomorrow.

Cool, let me know if you run into any issues.

Posted a vid of me and a guy in the UK playing TMNT:

Ant
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 01:50:42 AM »

Hand Shake LeftShocked:handshakeR:

This is unbelievably awesome.
Nix
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 05:05:57 PM »

Screamy

This is so incredibly awesome!
ink.inc
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2010, 05:14:24 PM »

I came.