Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:58:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCan I, should I, make a fighting game
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Can I, should I, make a fighting game  (Read 20199 times)
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« on: December 10, 2010, 08:20:45 PM »

The last game I made was this stealth game, it's up fr bid and will be out soon.

I've got this idea rollin around in my head now about makin a fighting game- By which I mean Street Fighter-style. But I'm conflicted, cos
  • Nobody wants to play a fighting game on a keyboard
  • Does anyone even want to play a fighting game that has no multiplayer?
  • Would anyone bother learning the characters for a free web game?
  • It'd be a shitload of animation!
So my body's sayin let's go, but my heart is sayin no. I'm goin into this slowly, cautiously, and I might give up at some point! So let's find out.

Here's a test of controls
This first character is like a Spanish flamenco dancer/matador lady's man. It's not a generic karate dude, sorry. I'd just get bored making that too quick, I might do it later.

What I'm goin for with this game
  • is something that feels really loose and fast, with really basic controls- Like Bloody Roar. So you can sprint in this game, you can whip fire out of your kicks, and some moves will chain into literal game-recognised combos- but only short combos like a 1-2 or a 1-2-3, no Tekken-style shit.
  • Obviously I'm keepin input keys to a minimum, cos it's a keyboard.
  • Your strong attacks have a little bit more of an animation delay than your regulars, and that's the trade-off, because they do more damage. You pull back n attack to do them because that's how most of the animations look.
  • I am not doing quarter-circle shoryuken inputs on any characters, because that's not fun to do on a keyboard. I don't know why everyone goes for that, I think it's a bad idea, don't tell me to do it.
  • You walk backwards to block.
  • Sprinting will bring it's own unique attacks as soon as I animate some tomorrow.
  • I'm thinking of having A+S be a throw move.
  • I want character's special attacks to be insane screen-filling nonsense like the Marvel VS Capcom games.
  • I first imagined having characters transform as a mechanic- into like an ultra form where they can do upgraded moves and Specials- but that might be way too much animation work.
  • I think that's all I've got so far

This is gonna be a slow thread- I've made it for people to tell me what I'm doin wrong, what I should do, what they like about fighting games, any weird stuff you've seen in a fighting game that I should see, and basically challenge all my shitty ideas from day 1.

So that's that!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 02:59:25 PM by I_smell » Logged
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 10:10:28 PM »

I actually find hadokens easier on a keyboard than on a controller.

But anyway: People will play it, but no one will learn the moves for a non-multiplayer free web fighting game, so simpler controls are a good idea.

By non-multiplayer, I assume you mean not online. local multiplayer is a must, and shouldn't be any difficulty to make anyways.

Instead of a generic karate dude, have a completely over the top karate dude.

I tried the demo and the controls feel a bit stiff. I'm not sure how to fix it, but a 'buffer' system (where you can press buttons a bit early and still have them register) could help, and won't be too hard to add. (depending on how you implement it)

Also the twirl is amazing.
Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 04:25:27 AM »

Doing a down + right to me seems sub zero ice throw move than a hadoken which is a painful (down downright right) maybe due to the horrible process of having to Hand Joystick curve the stick/thumbpad/buttons around and hitting the diagonal command and scraping skin cells into the controller trying to pull it off.

A hit box for the Fighter Bull maybe having roses and hair gel shoot out of him while he gets hit and to regain health you must recollect or collect the item the opponent drops as well.
Maybe have it also have a "composure" meter which builds up from collecting the fallen items the opponent or self drop to pull off the said ultra.

Now thinking on it... having a game filled with all your old characters(stealth game and older) fighting the new ones(from this game and up...) seems like a nice fighter to play.
that and having old characters will lead to new people playing all your old games just to get who they are.
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 03:30:26 PM »

I UPDATED THE TEST

You can now attack while sprinting, and there is hit detection on the dudes.
So far the guy has 23 animations. Oh my fucking lord.
OH and the little splash effect is some doofy recycled graphic from an old game.

But anyway: People will play it, but no one will learn the moves for a non-multiplayer free web fighting game, so simpler controls are a good idea.

Thanks yeah, I forgot to mention that (like Smash Brothers) everyone will have pretty much the same controls.
Local multiplayer won't be too hard BUT there's only one keyboard. So it'll be silly. I really wanna test this game with a wired Xbox controller, not saying that's how anyone's gonna play it, just as a personal novelty thing.
Maybe it would be funny to deliberately make a karate guy... or maybe I should make 7 r 8 palette-swapped ninja characters.
A button-queue sounds like a fair enough idea, I think a lot of fighters do that. I've never done it before but I'll look into it.

Doing a down + right to me seems sub zero ice throw move than a hadoken which is a painful (down downright right) maybe due to the horrible process of having to Hand Joystick curve the stick/thumbpad/buttons around and hitting the diagonal command and scraping skin cells into the controller trying to pull it off.

The way I see it is that the hadouken was designed SPECIFICALLY for a joystick the way you roll stuff around. It also works well enough with a thumbstick cos it's the same kinda thing. But a keyboard just does not have the roll, the wheel, the curvature that you want when you're doing hadoukens.
It'd be like if you ported The Sims to Xbox and just put a fake mouse onscreen that you move around with the analogue stick; it just doesn't carry over.

A hit box for the Fighter Bull maybe having roses and hair gel shoot out of him while he gets hit and to regain health you must recollect or collect the item the opponent drops as well.
Maybe have it also have a "composure" meter which builds up from collecting the fallen items the opponent or self drop to pull off the said ultra.
Hhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... This would work and I know how I'd do it. I can't exactly describe why though, but for some reason I hate this idea.

+I don't think any of my characters are famous enough for anyone to be excited about seein em.
I MIGHT have Johnny or I MIGHT have Cannoncrotch, but only if I run out of ideas.
Oh my god what if I had a DBZ fusion of Cannoncrotch Johnny... That could be freaky cool.
tsameti
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 03:40:05 PM »

Why don't you contribute to the tigsource fighting game? It's an existing project, has got some cool things going on and plenty of places for people to join in.

Current
Poikolos

Permanently on Hiatus
Son, Stranger
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 04:40:47 PM »

Wow I think that game's bin in-production since I joined the site!

I don't like playing Smash Brothers as much as I like playing other fighters, I don't know who half those characters are, and I think the best I could help at this point would be animating some dude I don't recognise.

One o my favourite things about fighting games is the insane over-developed characters they have, so I'm lookin forward to developing some tbh.

But thanks fr the invite though.
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 11:17:14 PM »

Looking good. Although the dash attach screws up the camera.
Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 11:59:50 PM »

+I don't think any of my characters are famous enough for anyone to be excited about seein em.
I MIGHT have Johnny or I MIGHT have Cannoncrotch, but only if I run out of ideas.
Oh my god what if I had a DBZ fusion of Cannoncrotch Johnny... That could be freaky cool.
You made robot dinosaurs that shoot beams when they roar, a dog that suck in birds/anything and convert it into a weapon, a biker who took on a stealth jet to find his daughter who own's the dog and recently made Gray fox also crunchdown, CRUNCHDOWN!
I will love to play as April using booster then beat johnny so bad that he will be mistaken as the love child of SmB Tim and New-DmC Dante. Also over develop characters good.
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 05:29:24 PM »

UPDATE

The game now has blocking, life bars, and an enemy AI.
It's not particularly fun or good AI, but it works.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 06:51:31 PM »

After a life bar depletes and they regenerate, you get stuck in slo-mo as if the battle was ending, but the AI can still move around at full speed and attack you as much as he wants.
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 08:03:34 PM »

I guess that won't be a problem when the round ends after you die.

But really though, this new slow-motion thing I learned is causing the most problems.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 08:17:55 PM »

You should somehow turn it into someone's special move.
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 03:12:51 PM »

Ideas like that is why I made this thread!

Ok I updated it again. The slow-mo is fixed, there's a combo-count now, and the AI is slightly smarter.
It analyses when to hold em n when fold em- but I actually feel like it's a bit less fun..

This isn't much of an update, but it took me all fuckin day to fix the slow-motion.
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2010, 04:29:56 PM »

Turning out quite nicely. Problem: When you use the special attack, the opponent freezes and never moves again.
Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 04:47:54 AM »

Hitting rewind, back, play will increase the speed of the cpu and hit delay.
add in the slow down ok and you can take a huge chunk off the cpu's health by doing a well place low jump kick.
maybe adding that as a special as well is good.
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2010, 04:57:59 AM »

Very fun so far! Smiley

Fighting games are a tricky genre to get right on PC, especially these days. I think there's potential for games like this with relatively simple control systems! Mostly because so few people play offline multiplayer on PC, and fighting games are such a pain to control on keys.

If you're going for single player you could really make good use of this slow motion thing.

twitter: @docky
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2010, 06:22:27 PM »

Update.
Today was a SLOW DAY. I got to the point where it's nut-up or shut-up an I can't bring myself to START the game. It doesn't feel right yet, an if I started it now then I'd only be dressin up a game that isn't fun at it's core.
So I spread it around on this forum, that forum, all over the place, but nobody's really interested and everyone just kinda says "yeah, you should add art to that."
I think I'm really lacking a partner in crime  Sad I need someone to be ON this game n kick the shit out of all the parts I'm not seeing.

Anyway I added a throw (A+S) and a couple 1-2 combos on the punch n kicks, I started Concepting the dude:

I think his name is gonna be Rico Suave but I've not decided really. I've got another character idea for an old British rockstar dude, and another one that I'm not too confident with yet.

Started animating anyway.

I can beat the AI pretty much every time now. I guess that's bad.
OH- and chip-damage is now a thing.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2010, 11:08:36 PM »

By holding the direction key towards the AI and pressing S repeatedly, you can spam the first kick repeatably, without finishing the combo.

I like the last costume, but the hatless hair.
Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2010, 02:38:59 AM »

dash slide -> bull rush -> grab( ->pounce?) is a tricky combo but is sure fun to pull off.
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2010, 02:55:57 AM »

It must be cool to be in the team of people who worked out the first few combos in Street Fighter.

Also I didn't notice until just now that it looks like he's wearing a hat. He's not, I just coloured his hair weird.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic