Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411905 Posts in 69428 Topics- by 58476 Members - Latest Member: tpat14

June 08, 2024, 10:32:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingWalk with Jack
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Walk with Jack  (Read 2131 times)
shushgame
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 11, 2010, 02:07:48 AM »

Walk with Jack

One button game where I was playing about (in Game Maker) with how to make something for iPhone where using the finger for control obscuring the screen wasn't a problem. Really basic mechanic -- 'What you can't see can't hurt you', which seems to work. It made last weekend's Weekend Download on Jay is Games, which was a good sign.

There is a gameplay video here:

Links to a 13.4 Mb download:

http://gamejolt.com/freeware/games/walk-with-jack/files/walk-with-jack/download/4015/5250/

http://www.yoyogames.com/games/153981-walk-with-jack/download

Any and all responses gratefully received. I have been playing around with stitching different levels together in a little adventure game, but the mechanic probably gets old fast.

**Now rebuilt**

Available at

http://gamejolt.com/freeware/games/a-short-and-happy-life/files/a-short-and-happy-life/download/4262/5625/

« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 04:42:07 AM by shushgame » Logged
jrjellybeans
Level 3

They're All Gonna Laugh At You

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 08:21:03 AM »

I can't play it because I'm on a Mac.  But, that game looks beautiful!

Congrats on the release!

Yngram
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 10:24:19 AM »

I watched the video and didn't think the game seemed very interesting but decided to download it anyway. It is better than I had thought and was borderline addictive.

I don't know if the scenery varies any more later in the game, but a color shift or environment change the farther you get would be a cool addition.
kidchameleon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 10:56:44 AM »

Nice Idea, looks superb, like Limbo. The sound has quite allot of bass, making me have to adjust the speakers...
D-TurboKiller
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 02:37:08 PM »

This was actually pretty neat! It was also tougher than I expected too; might I suggest a "radar blip" when you mouse over a deadly obstacle while in the dark? Right now all you have to do is hold the mouse button down and hope you timed it right, so this could add a bit of strategy and keep you alive longer.

pepez
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 03:57:49 PM »

Mac user here, so comments based on the video. The game looks good, I think the visuals work pretty well creating a scary atmosphere.  Is there a limit how long you can go eyes closed?

eva_
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 12:58:22 PM »

suggesting variety, maybe adding an obstacle that doesnt kill you... like a bird that picks u up n carry you to a higher platform or somthin

idk if theres somthing like this in there i havent gotten far
Kunal
Level 1

is feeling Bit.Core.Trippy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 02:15:33 PM »

This looks neat ( I only saw the trailer). Kind of like the inverse of the famous "Blink" Dr. Who episode.

Paul Jeffries
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 02:40:52 PM »

This looks gorgeous and it's an interesting idea, but it gets dull fairly quickly.  It would be better I think if you had to actually do something to progress that averting your eyes interfered with.  So, say you had to press a button to jump over the pits, but closing your eyes protected you from monsters etc.  It could also do with some reward for progressing other than just a score (which I personally find quite difficult to care about) - the multiple stage thing you're talking about might actually help with that.

www.vitruality.com | SPARTAN - Small Pixel Art Animator and procedural tile generator
AxelTheAs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 02:53:09 PM »

Nice graphics, but I don't have understand how the gameplay work ^^'
shushgame
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 08:33:48 AM »

Wow -- thanks everyone. I have been toying with this over Christmas and am trying to address a lot of the things people have brought up. I want to keep the simplicity of the one button, but I have layered it with a lot of complexity, warping between vastly different environments.

I'll try and polish it up to a standard where I can put out a beta. Thanks again.

Barry
Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 02:24:24 AM »

Neat idea and nice art style, agree that it can get old or easy after a while if you're going for replayability.  Just adding an online leaderboard would help a lot too.  At least for me, the meta-goal of getting up in the top of the boards keeps me playing some games longer than I normally would if that functionality wasnt there.

knight
Level 3

aka dude4k

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 08:07:10 AM »

Nice man, would love to see it on iPhone!
shushgame
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 04:44:15 AM »

Online highscores are coming, but I would really appreciate any and all feedback on what amounts to a complete rebuild. I changed the aesthetic as well, so I hope it is still visually attractive.

Available at GameJolt as Beta WIP (no audio and still a little rough):

http://gamejolt.com/freeware/games/a-short-and-happy-life/files/a-short-and-happy-life/download/4262/5625/
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic