Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58432 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 10:06:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlCanabalt Stage
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Canabalt Stage  (Read 6950 times)
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« on: December 11, 2010, 11:45:31 AM »

I think the best way to capture the speed would be the same as how SSBB captures the speed in the F-Zero stages.

We could have the fight take place on one of the ships the flies around in the background. It would fly just above the buildings, so falling characters would get flung sideways when hitting the ground, but could still survive if quick. (like in Big Blue)

Occasional hazards could be:
There are several Warning marks along the top of the screen, then the ship smashes though a window in the side of the building, which would kill anyone up there that got hit by the building. (Maybe just spiked for balance sake?) After a couple seconds it exits again.

The ship gets shot down be one of those missiles. (Friendly fire?) A warning appears where the missile will hit. After it hits, the ship crashes and the characters land on a now not moving building. After fighting there for a bit, another ship rises up and lifts the characters before blasting off at full speed again.

Ship Screenshot: (This was very hard to get! I'm not gonna try getting a good missile screenshot.)

Vincent
Level 0

Novelty Sunglass Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 12:42:43 PM »

I think we should have a gradual increase in speed while actually being forced to run accross the stage. Scrolling could work like in mushroom kingdom ruins in SSBB and the level could be set to an infinite loop. I honestly think this would be the best way to handle the stage. That way the stage gets more challenging over time.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 01:48:23 PM »

In mushroomy kingdom, the scrolling was incredibly slow. If the stage was really fast, then people would just be trying to keep up with the stage and not fighting. Most people would find this quite annoying, and wouldn't play the stage.

Even though all the ships you see are flying to the left, It should be flying to the right in this stage, just because it will make more sense to people who played the game.
I think maybe the stage should start out on a building, instead of starting on a ship. They would still get picked up quickly. This would help give the feeling of starting out slowly and then speeding up.
-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 06:34:21 AM »

The only problem I see about this stage is the landing of the ship. Maybe when the rocket hits the ship the screen could flash (like it did on game when you got hit if I remember right) and then the players are falling to the building, so they can move and hit other characters while falling (but the fall can't be longer than 2-3 seconds because the stage would be uber-tall).

They only think of me like an awesome ninja cat.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 02:47:54 PM »

In mushroomy kingdom, the scrolling was incredibly slow. If the stage was really fast, then people would just be trying to keep up with the stage and not fighting. Most people would find this quite annoying, and wouldn't play the stage.
I agree. Those kinds of moving stages are my absolute least favorite in the Smash Bros. games, even when they move at a relatively low speed, just because the whole moving+fighting isn't "deep" it's annoying. Mushroomy kingdom wasn't so bad since it didn't have any hazards of its own and moved pretty slowly, but any faster and I would loathe it forever.

This would also put slower characters at a huge disadvantage.

Vincent
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 09:31:33 PM »

Aren't we getting a little ahead of ourselves? We still need permision from AdamAtomic before we incorporate any of these features. I'm just saying we shouldn't get our hopes up.
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 09:12:45 AM »

Yes, but it's probably not a problem. Adam's a reasonable guy.

Vincent
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 01:54:10 PM »

I agree, but I just think we should get permission before we get too attatched to the idea. By the way are we waiting on permission ro has no-one asked yet?
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 02:50:54 PM »

I'll ask Adam if you guys haven't, I'm 99.99999% sure he'd be cool with this. Smiley

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic