Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:27:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioThe start of my career as a chiptunes artist, sort of
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The start of my career as a chiptunes artist, sort of  (Read 4560 times)
progrium
Level 2

Swords will fucking cut you wide open!

View Profile WWW
« on: May 02, 2008, 03:40:15 AM »

I've wanted to do this for a while because I just love chiptunes and classic video game music, but I've been so busy and I had no idea where to start. Recently I sort of realized I had everything I need (FLStudio, MIDI to USB cable, some VSTi's) and then tonight I just started messing around and recording stuff and this came out:

Walk Outside, It's Nice
http://progrium.com/chiptunes/walkoutside.mp3

What do you guys think? Is this something I should do more often?

Jeff Lindsay
progrium.com
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 04:41:44 AM »

The cheeseblood is boiling.

Is that the sound effect of Mario stopping in Mario 3 I hear?...  I think it needs some more layers, if that makes sense.  I dont know any music terms, really... but it sounds a little empty right now.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 06:28:17 AM »

What do you guys think? Is this something I should do more often?

Yes, please. Kiss
progrium
Level 2

Swords will fucking cut you wide open!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 06:44:36 AM »

I could have filled it out a bit more, but I know that if I got too into it I wouldn't finish. If anybody has experience doing this kind of music, tips would be appreciated.

And yes, that was a Mario 3 sound. I used it by accident and decided to keep it.

Man... it sounds different after not listening to it over and over for a while.

Jeff Lindsay
progrium.com
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 01:37:42 PM »

Yeah it's nice. I'm not a big fan of using game sounds in  tunes, but it's just a matter of taste...In any case, yes you should continue.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 05:20:15 PM »

I could have filled it out a bit more, but I know that if I got too into it I wouldn't finish. If anybody has experience doing this kind of music, tips would be appreciated.

And yes, that was a Mario 3 sound. I used it by accident and decided to keep it.

Man... it sounds different after not listening to it over and over for a while.

Something that works quickly is just duplicating the lead instrument, lowering the volume, and off setting it by a few notes or something.  It may not apply to this song, but its sometimes an easy way to pull off the full feeling.

Once again I am not a musician and I've probably got as much as experience as you at this point, so someone should probably chime in and correct me.
Kekskiller
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 06:36:06 AM »

like it. similar to some cave story tracks, only slower.

you can lower the volume of your background beats that won't affect to the pure melody. so it's more focused on the main melody as it has to be for a chiptune. in general it sounds much more a like a typical chiptune if you have only 1 high volume main instrument -> i noticed there are 2 channels: 1 for melody and 1 for dood-dood sounds as melody extension. so, just lower volume of the second to get a more clear sound.

hope i could help you.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 07:27:51 AM by Kekskiller » Logged
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 07:26:49 AM »

Nice!

I'd say it's about the right level of complexity for a game tune. There's still plenty of space for game noises to play without getting lost in the mix.

Even without a game playing on top of it, I think it sounds lovely. Simplicity can be a wonderful thing in music.

More please Smiley
increpare
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2008, 12:39:34 PM »

Why did it make me feel a little bit nostalgic for mega man (thankfully, I have all that stuff in itunes...so...no actually: I think I'll restrain myself for now).

I've been meaning to try getting into chiptune stuff myself for a good while.  Had a really annoying experience today with cubase and midi (not my preferred medium by any means: I just wanted to toss something together quickly but ended up none of the instrument choices I made survived it to the midi version, they all just came out as piano sounds in the final midi file  Angry  ).

Is FL Studio some program that people recommend a lot for that particular sort of stuff, or?
joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008, 05:29:12 PM »

I concur with Mr. Farbs.  It has room for more, but that's good for a game tune that needs to leave space for sfx.

Keep posting the goodness!  And maybe cook up something for the weekly music challenge that's been started up elsewhere on here so that we can keep it going.

these are from an actual radio shack in the ghetto
Steve Swink
Swank
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 07:15:41 PM »

Awesome!   Kiss Kiss Kiss

If anything, I wanted the melody to be a bit stronger and to go somewhere else. But, yeah, left me wanting more Smiley.

Steve Swink
Game Designer, Enemy Airship
Content Director, IGF
sswink (at) enemyairship(dot) com
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic