Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411425 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 08:47:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesStrong Non-Sexualized Female Leads
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14
Print
Author Topic: Strong Non-Sexualized Female Leads  (Read 81319 times)
Movius
« Reply #240 on: September 23, 2008, 06:30:50 AM »

So, essentially if you have a fetish for masculine-ish women with small breasts and short hair, then you aren't sexist?

I suppose i can live with that. At least it doesn't involve fat chicks.
Shambrook
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #241 on: September 23, 2008, 07:26:41 PM »

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3170087

Bumpity.

Ok, so it's pretty much just due to mirror's edge (which looks neat, by the by), and it's a re-iteration of what's been said, but, hey. Thought of this thread.

...go ahead and swap out "attractive" for "strong" if so you wish.

(Also, Medival? 666 Posts. Yuhuh.)

Number 1 and 2 are the same charecter, look at there designs its basicly a pallet swap.
Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #242 on: September 23, 2008, 07:42:34 PM »

That and a very different art style and different ethnic background.

Anyway, I think it's kind of funny that apparently tomboyish equals non-sexualized. I also think it's funny they listed Samus when it seems like Nintendo has been kind of pushing Zero Suit as a babe for a little while now.

Troy RULES
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #243 on: September 23, 2008, 10:50:39 PM »

What?  No mentions about Lady Sia?
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #244 on: September 24, 2008, 02:46:01 AM »

This thread now has TEN-THOUSAND VIEWS, hilariously.

Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #245 on: September 24, 2008, 07:29:16 AM »

Ooh, I hope nobody decides to hijack this thread and start showing some homoerotic...whatever.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
TomMonster
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #246 on: March 27, 2009, 06:11:28 AM »

Do monkey's count?

Donkey Kong Country 3... ok kiddie kong is reaching for a banana, but i think we can call that innocent, right?  Lips Sealed

Donkey Kong 64

Alexandra from Eternal Darkness. Shes pretty awesome, and smart in the game, you solve the case through her character.... freakin awesome game if the proverbial "you" haven't played it.

Silent Hill 3

As a note on the Samus talk, for what its worth i think she is totally badass. In pretty much all the games you play through in the suit and you feel awesome, shes a space bounty hunter and she kicks ass! With the exception of the Zero suit stuff, i think she maintains her respectability as a heroine even when she is sexy.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #247 on: March 27, 2009, 06:58:15 AM »

I'm not sure Dixie Kong is totally fitting -- at least, she's not a human female, and not even anthropomorphic/furry, so it'd be kind of hard to sexualize her.

Anyway, there's also the main character of Parasite Eve 1 and 2, Aya Brea.

There are also many games where you can choose the player's gender, and where the female version isn't very sexualized if you choose female. For instance, Dragon Quest 3 and 4, some NES Ninja game that I forget the name of, the Fallout games, etc.

Super Joe
BANNED
Level 9

let's go

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 27, 2009, 07:33:36 AM »

Female XLR to Female XLR
esc
Level 3

BAM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #249 on: March 27, 2009, 07:37:24 AM »

(edit) Fat Princess for PSN(not out yet, I think)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 07:49:28 AM by Esquar » Logged

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #250 on: March 27, 2009, 07:42:20 AM »

What game is that? That almost looks anti-sexualized, like a female specifically designed to be sexually unappealing by social standards.

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #251 on: March 27, 2009, 08:14:24 AM »

Fat Princess

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 27, 2009, 11:50:05 AM »

What game is that? That almost looks anti-sexualized, like a female specifically designed to be sexually unappealing by social standards.

Stop thinking so much into everything man :D
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #253 on: March 27, 2009, 01:38:58 PM »

I dunno, it seems pretty obvious to me. I think reverse-sexualization is still a kind of sexualization. It's also hard to not think of the gavage that happens to girls in Egypt when you read about a game where one of the gameplay goals is to fatten someone up.

Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 27, 2009, 02:44:15 PM »

Feeders will be all over that.
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: March 27, 2009, 03:27:33 PM »

I dunno, it seems pretty obvious to me. I think reverse-sexualization is still a kind of sexualization. It's also hard to not think of the gavage that happens to girls in Egypt when you read about a game where one of the gameplay goals is to fatten someone up.

The goal of Fat Princess though, from my knowledge, is not fattening the princess but making it harder for the other team to rescue their princess BY making her fatter. It's really more comical than deep.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #256 on: March 27, 2009, 03:42:28 PM »

Yeah, but just because something is comical doesn't mean it's not sexualization (e.g. the bouncing breasts in the Dead or Alive series are fairly comical). And a lot of it is unconscious, you don't really have to intend something to be offensive, sometimes people just use stereotypes unconsciously. Like, I wouldn't be surprised if some fat people are going to be offended somehow by calling a game "fat princess" and making getting her fatter a game mechanic, even if the developers' intention wasn't to make fun of fat people. Kind of like the RE5 situation.

Ninja Disguise
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 27, 2009, 08:46:52 PM »

Has Sheva from Resident Evil 5 been mentioned? Not indie, but it's hard enough to find a strong, non-overly-sexualized female character in games as it is.

It really is too bad she's a) completely fucking retarded in single-player and b) has a really skimpy unlockable costume. She's also a light-skinned African-American with an English accent, but that's another issue entirely.

Here's my take on the whole thing: women are beautiful. That's not something you need to take away from a female to make her a strong leading character. These characters don't need to be in bad shape, either - Samus should be slim and defined because she's very active and that's what active people look like. The issue, for me, is that women are over-sexualized. Humans are sexual beings, that's a natural thing and it doesn't need to be taken away. But a strong female (and male) character should be looked at first and foremost as a person, not a sexual entity, and this is where most videogames (especially from Japan) fall horribly short.
Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #258 on: March 30, 2009, 09:51:49 AM »

She's also a light-skinned African-American with an English accent, but that's another issue entirely.

Depends where she's from.  My aunt is from South Africa, a former British colony, and has a thick English accent.  The game's dialog, on the other hand, makes me wish my room-mate didn't have a PS3...  Angry

NMcCoy
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #259 on: March 30, 2009, 02:10:13 PM »

What, no mention of Lyn from Fire Emblem 7 yet?

Dragondot 2 is out now! Go get it!
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic