Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 02:13:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)JWK5 Art Dump
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: JWK5 Art Dump  (Read 1880 times)
jwk5
« on: December 12, 2010, 08:09:39 AM »

I do a lot of speed drawing, especially while concepting for my current project, so I figured I'd start one of these "art dump" threads I always see going around and share my madness. I appologize if the images are too large, the file size isn't too big on them though (at least I don't think so). If there ends up being a problem with them I can always resize them. Anyways, these are (really) rough concepts for my game project, Star Cypher Europa.

I will post more as I go. The art is speedy scribbles so any commentary on proper anatomy or such really isn't necessary (they are meant to be quick not proper) but comments are still welcome nonetheless.
jwk5
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 08:28:05 AM »

Some more from older back-burner projects...

Yngram
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 10:22:47 AM »

Not bad at all. I especially like the little thumbnail sketches of the faction types. Very cool.
Chris Pavia
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 11:20:41 AM »

Nice work! Your characters have a great sense of movement.
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 11:38:12 AM »

Not bad at all. I especially like the little thumbnail sketches of the faction types. Very cool.
Yeah, they are looking really great Smiley

By the way, what would this game look like? Top-down, sidescroller, 3D?
jwk5
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 01:26:58 PM »

Yeah, they are looking really great Smiley

By the way, what would this game look like? Top-down, sidescroller, 3D?
I may go overhead (but not top-down) RPG with it, but before I commit to that I am first toying with sidescrolling platformer RPG. If it winds up feeling right for the story and setting I am working on (and I can get the RPG elements in there comfortably) I'll go ahead and go sidescroller with it. If not, then I will default to the overhead traditional RPG route. It's going to be episodic (with stories contained in each episode like a series of comic book issues) so I want to make sure the route I decide on and stick with has game play that will stay fun over many episodes.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 01:45:27 PM by jwk5 » Logged
jwk5
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 02:12:52 PM »

More speeds sketches done this afternoon.
jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 02:32:19 PM »

These are sexy and I like them. All of them.
Alistair Aitcheson
Level 5

"Ali" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 03:52:23 PM »

The green-suited guy with the beam sword looks great! I really love the colour of the light you've used on him, it looks very shiny. His pose is quite striking too - relaxed but distinctive.

Some of the poses on the little thumbnail drawings are very strong, and I like the colour choices you've made. The bottom-left feeder looks particularly fearsome and mysterious. And the glowy-pastel colours you use have a lot of personality.

I particularly like the blue-grey outlines you've used on the Mischief drawing. She looks very likable but also self-assured. And that big axe would be fun to play with in a game Wink

Awesome stuff! You seem to get a lot of value out of these speed drawings. How long do you usually spend on them?

jwk5
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 04:37:58 PM »

Awesome stuff! You seem to get a lot of value out of these speed drawings. How long do you usually spend on them?
Thanks a lot! Smiley That whole page was done in less than ten minutes. It is a very quick process for me because my brain is essentially on autopilot as I zone out to music. I don't really think too hard about it I just draw. I actually created a tutorial for the process I use to create them which you can find here.

After a while you'll find you can churn out tons of ideas quickly going that rout because the emphasis is on quantity over quality (that is you're drawing to describe many ideas not to create a masterpiece). I've found it has helped me become a better artist because I'm much more focused on form and shape now than excessive details so I am able to layout my serious drawings much more naturally.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic