Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 02:28:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Dream Thief
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Dream Thief  (Read 1339 times)
TDOT
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 13, 2010, 12:19:24 AM »

:The Dream Thief:
Hey guys!  Smiley This is my devlog for my new project The Dream Thief. So to start, some info/background on the game.

Concept:
You are The Company's most important asset. The only man for the job. You're the dream thief. The Company is in the middle of a war with The Magnate, a collection of individuals slowly taking over all major business and economic strongholds in the world. This isn't a war in the traditional sense. It's purposely being waged completely under the radar. Were the populous to learn of what goes on behind the scenes, there would be mass hysteria. This is where you come in. You get in where others can't, to steal what others could never steal. The venues of your heists are the dreams of others, and your prize is their plans.

So yeah, that's the general idea. I don't wanna give away too much about The Company or the Magnate just yet, so I probably won't talk too much story-wise for a while.  Wink

The game is set in a 2D sidescrolling perspective, and gameplay is focused around basic platform mechanics enhanced by an extremely agile character. I'm hoping to make the game "feel" somewhat open-ended without sacrificing structured gameplay. With the exception of a tutorial level, I don't plan on having many (if any) visual aids for traversing the different environments. The player will have to be very observant of those around him, as well as other subtle hints.

Naturally, dreams play an extremely important role in this game. The player will come across sleeping people all throughout the game whom will offer portals into their dreams (and the dream world. Take this as you will Wink ) As dreams are such a big part of this game, I'll talk more about their place and how they'll work later on.

As far as the graphical style, I'm setting real world environments as dark, dank "complexes". This will aid in more easily contrasting dreams from the real world, as dreams will be much more colorful and unique. Here's an example of the art:

The Dream Thief.

Rocking his stylish top hat, he'll be who the player takes control of.

Complex 1 tileset.

This is an example of the type of tilesets that I'll be using in the real world. Dark colors and bland details. Pretty much anything I can use to make real life seem dull and dreary.

There you have it! It's a short devlog, but I just wanted to introduce my game to you guys :3
TDOT
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 09:40:43 PM »

Here's a screen I pulled today. It gives a fairly decent picture of what the game will be like. You can see the thief sliding down the wall towards the determined guard below Ninja
The environment is an early example of what the real world will look like.
flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 08:36:52 AM »

I like your graphic style and I like the idea. Which engine are you using?

TDOT
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 08:59:27 AM »

Thanks Grin
I'm using my own engine coded in Game Maker. There's a slight chance I'll eventually try and port the game to Java though.
Davioware
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 09:10:31 AM »

Concept:
You are The Company's most important asset. The only man for the job. You're the dream thief. The Company is in the middle of a war with The Magnate, a collection of individuals slowly taking over all major business and economic strongholds in the world. This isn't a war in the traditional sense. It's purposely being waged completely under the radar. Were the populous to learn of what goes on behind the scenes, there would be mass hysteria. This is where you come in. You get in where others can't, to steal what others could never steal. The venues of your heists are the dreams of others, and your prize is their plans.

Inception: the game?

TDOT
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 09:18:38 AM »

Yeah, a friend of mine told me about how close the story is to inception  Tongue
I'm hoping to make the game comical enough that it doesn't resemble inception too much.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic