Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 09:31:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHarvest Moon demake... rip off... homage... ?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Harvest Moon demake... rip off... homage... ?  (Read 2886 times)
LeFishy
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: December 13, 2010, 06:47:34 AM »

Seriously just started on this. I WILL FINISH A PROJECT ONE DAY SHUT UP.

This is in my head as more of a long term thing anyway hence this devlog.

I dreamt the other day of a super lo-fi harvest moon type game. I think in my dream it was tile based and 7 x 5 tiles of 16x16 each so that's what I'm planning on working with. The world will be seperated into distinct rooms though probably not logically because at this size that seems unecessary.

It's going to have to have everything we've come to expect for a harvest moon game including such highlights as fishing, mining and finding yourself a darling waifu.

Also there might be some social commentary crap about urbanisation and whatnot in there because that is what my childhood consisted on. Nothing actual political, just based on my observations growing up.

Hopefully this will be a big project that I can plug away at in my free time so I don't feel too guilty if it stagnates every now and then.

Update soon with more designwords and possibly doodles!
Chris Pavia
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 09:12:24 AM »

Can I mine for fish???

I like the concept, looking forward to seeing some design.
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 09:32:25 AM »

I would like to see some of this lo-fi art you are promising.

LeFishy
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 11:04:38 AM »

heh... yeah... art... we'll see about that.

My main problem with the HM series is the lack of depth in each element of the game. While the farming works well enough I think that fishing could have more to it, like mining for fish... I'm not thinking crazy depth just something like fishing girl maybe. Something more than sitting there waiting for an exclamation mark.

I'd like to put more depth into the lady-wooing aspect of the game too, branching conversations, all that kind of lark. I think I have a subconscious desire to make a dating game...

and for mining I'm just going to make a minecraft clone, that's a joke.

But first I'll make the basics. I'm going to try and make it as extendable as possible.
Doktor_Q
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 11:11:31 AM »

For fishing, you can make the fish visible, for one. Make where you cast your line relative to the fish important. Give some command for bobbing the lure, which can attract fish or scare them off. Finally, maybe throw in some kind of reaction event to pull the fish out beyond just "press A."
LeFishy
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 11:14:11 AM »

Something like Animal Crossing I guess but with a selection of lures and things for different types of fish. For the actual reeling in part I'd probably go with the whole fish swims left you push right set up.
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 12:28:57 PM »

I always thought Links Awakening for the gameboy had an excellent fishing minigame.

Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 12:36:11 PM »

I always thought Links Awakening for the gameboy had an excellent fishing minigame.
It did.

And now you even have my interest.
LeFishy
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 05:57:24 AM »

This. But with more types of fish. And depth.
Taugeshtu
Level 2

Semi-dormant.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 07:28:00 AM »

> expect for a harvest moon game including such highlights as fishing
Hmmm.. Do you mean something like "Rockfish" animated video on youtube?
> Something more than sitting there waiting for an exclamation mark.
Again, I suggest you to see this vid. There was mining aspect, different food (don't know how it will be in English, sorry) for fish in video, maybe you could add different tools too for fishing differens fishes... Or I'm going another way, meanin "fishing on the moon")

Still, want to see art)

We LOVE you. We MADE you.
Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 09:24:48 AM »

Or I'm going another way, meanin "fishing on the moon")
Okay, this game needs to take place on the moon now.
Doktor_Q
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 12:44:31 PM »

On the moon? That could be awesome. Especially if you don't even try to be scientifically or technologically correct!
Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 12:50:28 PM »

EVERYTHING IS ROBOTS

plants, your house, the fish, EVERYTHING

and with on the moon stuff too, or a space station post robotic take over style

yokomeshi
Level 0

tonight we're gonna party like it's 1989

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 01:53:23 PM »

darling waifu
LeFishy
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 05:13:35 AM »

Harvest Moonbase.

I dreamt about this game again recently.

The entire town existed on the whims of an ancient and eternal chicken called Genevieve. So the aim of the game was to ship enough crops into the eternal chicken offering warehouse to keep the island/town/whatever afloat. The villagers obviously pay you for your services...
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 06:42:52 AM by LeFishy » Logged
Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 07:48:24 AM »

Harvest moon in future... didn't they make that game already?
Harvest Moonbase.

I dreamt about this game again recently.

The entire town existed on the whims of an ancient and eternal chicken called Genevieve. So the aim of the game was to ship enough crops into the eternal chicken offering warehouse to keep the island/town/whatever afloat. The villagers obviously pay you for your services...
From the horrible experience I had in harvest moon wonderful life (and a good google search of the other games) the game really focus on the relationships you need to build up before the game character some how dies a horrible lonely death in a year. When that happen to me I almost flip a chair out the window in PURE RAGE.

It's like playing Cabela hunting game then having the game kill you a (good quarter way in to the game) for ignoring the  what seem to be optional and fully skip-able fetch quests you can do for the guys at the ranch.

LeFishy
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010, 08:31:29 AM »

Oh relationship stuff is entirely optional in my mind.

Sure you'll probably end up dying a horrible lonely death but that is what happens to everyone amirite?
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic