Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411523 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 01:13:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingHaxball Beta ( Multiplayer Ball Game )
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Haxball Beta ( Multiplayer Ball Game )  (Read 26721 times)
RichMakeGame!
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2010, 04:03:34 PM »

had a fun little game just there Smiley nice stuff!

now feel free to ignore these thoughts- I can understand if you want to stick to the simplicity you have going, it's really nice- I'm interested in your thoughts about some mini-stamina system? I imagine you've already had a think about it

basically just a 'sprint' with recharging energy (charging faster when you stand still)- I wonder how that would affect the game?
it could be interesting, because it might encourage a little more tactical play- if you hang back from the action and wait for an oportunity to grab the ball and sprint up the pitch with it, while the ones who have been fighting over the ball are more tired out.

Encouraging players to pick their moment and conserve energy might lead to more of a passing game, rather than 'everyone crowd around the ball' which seemed to happen a bit when I played (although I think we were all new to the game so maybe thats part of it). The speed at which energy is spent and recharged could dictate how 'serious' a feature this is- fast usage with fast recharge probably would have smaller effect, whereas fast usage with slow recharge would probably have a bigger tactical effect. Also the recharge rate standing vs moving would have a big impact.

anyway, just rambling- fun game!

Bootleg TurboDrive
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=30133
testers welcome: will do playtest swap if you need yours tested, PM
www.richmakegame.com
basara
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2010, 05:02:51 PM »

Haxball updated! Game stopping and all other admin features can only be used by the host now!

I'd like to point out that I'm totally blown away by the reception to the game, I was not expecting it and its the reason why I released it in such an incomplete state. So, my apologizes to those who might have gotten frustrated trying to play in a constantly interrupted 10 player public game Wink

Is there a possibility of a "reconnection" feature? Like when you return to a game you left, you get control of the empty circle you left behind.

Yes, it is a bit complex to make, but I definitely want something like this.

Also, perhaps have auto team organization? Waiting for players to pick a team is slightly annoying.

This might also be good, I'll give it some thought.

now feel free to ignore these thoughts- I can understand if you want to stick to the simplicity you have going, it's really nice- I'm interested in your thoughts about some mini-stamina system? I imagine you've already had a think about it

basically just a 'sprint' with recharging energy (charging faster when you stand still)- I wonder how that would affect the game?
it could be interesting, because it might encourage a little more tactical play- if you hang back from the action and wait for an oportunity to grab the ball and sprint up the pitch with it, while the ones who have been fighting over the ball are more tired out.

Encouraging players to pick their moment and conserve energy might lead to more of a passing game, rather than 'everyone crowd around the ball' which seemed to happen a bit when I played (although I think we were all new to the game so maybe thats part of it). The speed at which energy is spent and recharged could dictate how 'serious' a feature this is- fast usage with fast recharge probably would have smaller effect, whereas fast usage with slow recharge would probably have a bigger tactical effect. Also the recharge rate standing vs moving would have a big impact.

anyway, just rambling- fun game!
When I first started making haxball I thought about this feature, and was planning on adding it. But then when the game got to be so playable and fun with just the kick button I became lazy and stopped experimenting. To tell the truth, the gameplay is the part of the game I have tweaked the least. And now that the game is released I'll probably be busy making much needed non-gameplay related features.

But once I get a time of relax I'll probably go back to making experiments with gameplay, and this feature will probably get tested. It will probably end up being a match setting option, something like an "Enable experimental gameplay" checkbox.
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2010, 02:03:38 AM »

Just played it a bit. The colours are nice, but I wasn't able to enjoy the game much because my ping was high (150-250, that's my internet connection's fault) and the only games I was able to join were 4x4 and 5x5 matches, which were very chaotic. Maybe the size of the playing field should adjust to the number of players?

Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2010, 05:49:15 AM »

Ok, I'm after over an hour of playing with some guys at the university. We were playing some 2x2, 3x3, 4x4 and 5x5.

Things that have been already mentioned:
-highlighting the player
-player limit
-display who scored the goal

Things that have not:
-double clicking a room should also join
-is there anything that can be done with the pings? we sometimes had pings of over a 1000 even when all of us including the host were sitting next to each other
-the admin should be able to kick players out
-the ability to resize the chat tab with your mouse would be great, especially on 1024x600 displays Wink

Much fun was had by all of us, and people were joining us when they saw us playing and shouting over every goal, great little game Smiley

Blodyavenger
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2010, 08:13:41 AM »

One minor addition you could make

- Sort rooms by number, name of the host, country, ping (clicking on seperated text)

basara
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2010, 10:16:05 AM »

Things that have not:
-double clicking a room should also join
-is there anything that can be done with the pings? we sometimes had pings of over a 1000 even when all of us including the host were sitting next to each other
-the admin should be able to kick players out
-the ability to resize the chat tab with your mouse would be great, especially on 1024x600 displays Wink

Double click: definitely.
Ping: The only thing you can do about it is finding a more stable connection. I guarantee that the game runs fine in 5v5 games if your connection is good.
Admin kick: definitely.
Chat resize: I'll think about it.

One minor addition you could make
- Sort rooms by number, name of the host, country, ping (clicking on seperated text)
Yes, right now the game sorts by distance, to encourage people to join rooms near their location.

Today the game reached 200 simultaneous players. I'm in awe Smiley
It is now officially depleting my bank account, since I surpassed the app engine free quota Tongue I guess I'll have to put ads in there to pay for the bandwidth.
Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2010, 10:29:09 AM »

It is now officially depleting my bank account, since I surpassed the app engine free quota Tongue I guess I'll have to put ads in there to pay for the bandwidth.

I only hope they won't be present in the playing screen.

Also one more suggestion, it would be nice to be able to switch between the playing-field view and the player-list view, especially since only in the latter you can see the time and score limit. I often join a room and then wait for 10 minutes without knowing how long it will last.

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2011, 09:08:37 AM »

Just posting to say I'm still enjoying this game and I like the way it's progressing. I do have a few suggestions though. You should show the games win conditions during the game, and maybe have the clock count down instead of up. Add the ability to change who's hosting the game, it's frustrating if you've found a good group to play with and the host has to leave. You should consider rounding the corners of the pitch, similar to an ice hockey rink, to prevent those corner pileups. When a player leaves during game their circle should disappear. Also, being able to add new players whilst in a game, instead of having to restart, would be good, but not sure how that would be handled. Anyway just a few thoughts I had. Keep up the good work. Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley

Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2011, 10:31:38 AM »

maybe have the clock count down instead of up.

I second that idea, and I must also say I am most impressed, I rechecked the game recently and it had over 3000 players online and like 15 fansites with ladders, championships and whatnot >:0
You are officially no longer the guy who made Gusanos, you became the guy who made Haxball, and that's a huge improvement, congrats Smiley

davidp
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2011, 12:08:20 AM »

I've just played a game with friends from one of the soccer forums i visit and it was fun as hell  Beer! Hand Any Key

basara
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2011, 05:18:27 PM »

I must appologize to Netsu and Oddball for not replying here to their feedback on time Sad. I thought the thread had died and I forgot to enable e-mail notification.

So here goes the delayed reply:

Just posting to say I'm still enjoying this game and I like the way it's progressing. I do have a few suggestions though. You should show the games win conditions during the game, and maybe have the clock count down instead of up. Add the ability to change who's hosting the game, it's frustrating if you've found a good group to play with and the host has to leave. You should consider rounding the corners of the pitch, similar to an ice hockey rink, to prevent those corner pileups. When a player leaves during game their circle should disappear. Also, being able to add new players whilst in a game, instead of having to restart, would be good, but not sure how that would be handled. Anyway just a few thoughts I had. Keep up the good work. Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley
Right now I'm doing changes to the in game UI which will allow me to implement/fix two of the issues you mentioned ( Being able to see the match settings while a match is on progress and being able to add players to a team without interrupting the match ).
I agree that changing the host when the previous one leaves would be useful, but it is pretty hard to do from a technical standpoint.
Rounded corners are now in ofcourse Smiley

I second that idea, and I must also say I am most impressed, I rechecked the game recently and it had over 3000 players online and like 15 fansites with ladders, championships and whatnot >:0
You are officially no longer the guy who made Gusanos, you became the guy who made Haxball, and that's a huge improvement, congrats Smiley
I'm impressed too ;o. HaxBall has become more popular than what I had dreamed of, now I've learnt how exhausting it can be to have a popular project going on.

I've just played a game with friends from one of the soccer forums i visit and it was fun as hell  Beer! Hand Any Key
Thanks! Beer!
lapsus
Level 1

The Grey Tower

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2011, 12:47:05 PM »

This is similar to one of my favourite games of all times: Projectyle http://www.mobygames.com/game/projectyle 3-player game on amiga where you controlled spheres with intertia kicking a ball into goals.

And ofc i love it Smiley

steilx
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2011, 08:17:34 AM »

haxball.gr - Create your own leagues
And here is an online tool we created for creating and managing your custom leagues for haxball game! Have fun!

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic