Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 08:42:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsProcedural GenerationProcedural Generation Competition
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14
Print
Author Topic: Procedural Generation Competition  (Read 170180 times)
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 11, 2008, 07:01:49 PM »

So I doubt my entry will be done in time. My apartment was broken into and a bunch of computer things, including my drawing tablet, were stolen.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 11, 2008, 08:32:31 PM »

So I doubt my entry will be done in time. My apartment was broken into and a bunch of computer things, including my drawing tablet, were stolen.

Agh sorry to hear that. That must suck.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
zradick
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: May 11, 2008, 10:51:55 PM »

Oh man!  I am sorry to hear that.  Hope you had backups of your files...  I need to be more diligent about that myself.  [cross fingers]Renter's insurance?[/cross fingers]
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 11, 2008, 11:04:47 PM »

Oddly enough, my actual computer was not stolen, just my tablet (which, unfortunately, I sort of need for art stuff and may not be able to replace for a while), my laptop charger, my iPod and a bag of clothes (I had just been on vacation, but why anyone would steal a bag of clothes is beyond me).

Unfortunately, they got my roommate's laptop, his DJ headphones, a bag of 50 records and his bike.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
zradick
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: May 11, 2008, 11:22:24 PM »

Oddly enough, my actual computer was not stolen, just my tablet (which, unfortunately, I sort of need for art stuff and may not be able to replace for a while), my laptop charger, my iPod and a bag of clothes (I had just been on vacation, but why anyone would steal a bag of clothes is beyond me).

Unfortunately, they got my roommate's laptop, his DJ headphones, a bag of 50 records and his bike.

Motherless goats!   Angry

Still, count your blessings that your computer did not get yanked.  Probably too heavy to transport easily and PC's are cheap these days.  A good WACOM on the other hand is not so easy to come by...
increpare
« Reply #105 on: May 12, 2008, 05:23:46 AM »

ah nooooooo, that's terribly lame
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: May 12, 2008, 05:26:05 AM »

Yeah, sorry to hear that Sad

kljung
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: May 12, 2008, 05:34:00 AM »

Alright, I'm in.
I don't have to do anything more than say I'm in right? ... and come up with a game...
Now what kind of game am I going to do... I haven't a clue :|

Live long and prosper.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: May 12, 2008, 01:50:14 PM »

Wow, the entries are looking really good! Kiss
Klasanov
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 12, 2008, 10:45:05 PM »

Hmm.

Does free-form mean any language?

All I know is Java, but this sounds cool.
increpare
« Reply #110 on: May 13, 2008, 02:53:54 AM »

Hmm.

Does free-form mean any language?
No; free form means that you can do any style of game (I think).  There are no constraints on what language you can use, so long as the game will run on a windows pc.
Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: May 13, 2008, 08:57:59 AM »

There are no constraints on what language you can use, so long as the game will run on a windows pc.

The bloody-minded me wonders whether "it runs on a VMWare virtual machine running on a windows PC" is enough... ;-)

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: May 13, 2008, 09:00:13 AM »

It probably doesn't matter - not supporting windows will make it harder for most people to play your game, so I guess it just comes down to whether or not that's important to you.

shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: May 13, 2008, 09:20:57 AM »

I'm in! Will post a thread for my project shortly. But first....

I have a question. Can i use art and|or music ripped from other projects or sources on internet? Or i should find an artist to participate in this compo?

I have a similar question. I'm primarily a programmer too - How much is it permissable or indeed expected to take bits and pieces of code (and maybe a few sprites) from some of my other (unfinished) projects?

I've never entered one of these compos before so don't really know what the unwritten rules are. And if there are written rules that apply, I'd very much appreciate someone posted a link and optionally calling me an idiot.

Thanks!

Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 13, 2008, 10:04:07 AM »

I think the general idea is not to be a dick about it. So, you know, if you have to grab some code or sprites from something else, it's no big deal. Even if you have a fully developed engine-type-thing you usually use, that isn't a big deal. The point is to be inspired to make something awesome for the competition. So as long as that is what you are doing, using a bit of previous material here or there should be fine.

In other news, the bloody eyepatch on right eye attests to further delays in my entry, but at least it's totally metal.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: May 13, 2008, 10:34:46 AM »

Awesome, thanks man. I'm pretty confident I'm sticking to the spirit of it in that case!

Data
Giant Enemy Crab
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: May 13, 2008, 02:43:57 PM »

« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 03:08:21 PM by Data » Logged
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 13, 2008, 02:58:57 PM »

o_o

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: May 13, 2008, 03:07:02 PM »

Oh yeah great Melly, you just duplicated what was already an o_o worthy post
Now there are TWO OF THEM Cry

Data