Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 01:14:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsProcedural GenerationProcedural Generation Competition
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14
Print
Author Topic: Procedural Generation Competition  (Read 170335 times)
mewse
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: June 04, 2008, 07:43:26 PM »

any word on voting?

Derek's probably still working on the procedurally generated poll.   Tongue
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 04, 2008, 07:48:56 PM »

How does that work? Fractals?

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 04, 2008, 08:16:08 PM »

What do you mean?  He's already doin' it!

It's not like he sat down and wrote down the list of entries beforehand.  He started the competition, and the entries generated themselves based on the participants and what they all made.

And thus we'll have a procedurally generated poll!
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 04, 2008, 08:58:34 PM »

The universe is procedural.

Smiley

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: June 04, 2008, 09:35:29 PM »

Maybe leave more time for the people who actually try all the games.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 04, 2008, 10:13:50 PM »

Damn, I don't have much time on my hands lately so it's been pretty tough to get around to the boards. Looks to be some great stuff though, hopefully I'll have enough time to play them all before the voting begins. I think I might have to make something this next compo for sure...

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
dmoonfire
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: June 05, 2008, 04:59:19 AM »

Starting playing the games last night, had a blast playing most of them.  I also noticed that these games are showing up on the PG wiki, which is cool.
Pip
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 05, 2008, 08:57:53 AM »

I seem to remember the window between finish time and voting was pretty generous last time.

Smiley
All in favour of a reseed?

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 05, 2008, 10:52:34 AM »

But who knows what could happen then? We might be living in an alternative post-apocaliptic reality with magic and massive dragons and demon slaying!

...I'm first in line.

Corpus
« Reply #189 on: June 05, 2008, 02:39:14 PM »

What, really? That would be terrible.
andrewdoullq
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: June 05, 2008, 10:42:29 PM »

Starting playing the games last night, had a blast playing most of them.  I also noticed that these games are showing up on the PG wiki, which is cool.

Feel free to add more if you want. Link is http://pcg.wikidot.com

The Roflwtfzomgbbq Quylthulg summons L33t Paladins -more-
In UnAngband, the level dives you.
ASCII Dreams: http://roguelikedeveloper.blogspot.com
Unangband: http://unangband.blogspot.com
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: June 06, 2008, 04:13:53 AM »

Have people seen that someone has been adding compo entries to MobyGames, and rating them? This seems pretty out of order, although obviously I'm open to accusations of bitterness because our game gets a very low score. [but it's not a finished product!!]

In fact the "ratings" seems to be pretty wacky in most cases.

On the other hand, this pgwiki sounds like a great idea, and more of a repository of knowledge and examples, rather than the purported equivalent of IMDB that MobyGames is.

Pretty fucked off right now  Undecided

(can't post a link cos MobyGames is blocked here at work)

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: June 06, 2008, 04:17:52 AM »

http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/space-cat-on-mutant-planet

All games added:

http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/tigsource-pg-competition

Also of note:

http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/tigsource-b-game-competition

http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/tigsource-vgng-competition

dmoonfire
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: June 06, 2008, 05:19:07 AM »

Feel free to add more if you want. Link is http://pcg.wikidot.com

I thought about adding Running Game, but I don't think it really stands well enough on its own (at the moment). But, it would be cool to expand on how the various games already there do their techniques (like the Markov chains for Beagle).
PHeMoX
Level 2

"All bugs are belong to us."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: June 06, 2008, 05:29:30 AM »

OT, but;

Smiley

Looking back at events that happened 'in the past'... everything inevitably looks procedural, wouldn't you agree?

After all, "choices were (seemingly) made", either consciously when it comes to beings or not, and selection took place and so on.

I guess procedural implies a bit on inevitability of it all as well, but I don't think life is predestined somehow. Or at least, on the smaller scale of things, it isn't for sure.

"Fun is rule."
Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: June 06, 2008, 05:47:30 AM »

Have people seen that someone has been adding compo entries to MobyGames, and rating them? This seems pretty out of order, although obviously I'm open to accusations of bitterness because our game gets a very low score. [but it's not a finished product!!]

In fact the "ratings" seems to be pretty wacky in most cases.

On the other hand, this pgwiki sounds like a great idea, and more of a repository of knowledge and examples, rather than the purported equivalent of IMDB that MobyGames is.

Pretty fucked off right now  Undecided

(can't post a link cos MobyGames is blocked here at work)

This has me in two minds. It's pretty cool that someone's taken the effort to do that. The description for mine is a bit off, but way, way more accurate than I ever would have expected.

But the game is really not meant to be finished. This is just a prototype for further development.

Don't particularly care about ratings. I'd rather hear an analysis of what's wrong with the game than some number, plucked out of the air on someone's subjective scale (but that's a general whinge. And I'm sure if I scored higher I'd instantly change my tune Smiley ).

Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: June 06, 2008, 06:06:19 AM »

I registered to clear up some stuff in the entry (and bump my score aggressively, of course  Cool)

I dunno. I don't mind it being there, but it's presented like it's a final game or something. Who expects a prototype to get reviewed in the same breath as a final game? Feels a bit unfair, really.

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: June 06, 2008, 06:08:30 AM »

I registered to clear up some stuff in the entry (and bump my score aggressively, of course  Cool)

Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: June 06, 2008, 06:13:49 AM »

From the credit on the bottom of each review, I think it's this guy. His MobyGames profile says he's ranked first, so he probably posts a lot of games.

Apart from misunderstanding what ends each minigame of mine (it's either of the unique characters shrinking to nothing, not your player growing, although that is correlated with half of the games), the description of mine is pretty accurate.

I think the scores (1-5, so I think 4.3 is good, Bezzy) are supposed to be from user ratings, but since these games don't even have a download link ("Buy MMORPG Tycoon from Ebay!" Lips Sealed), it's probably just that Sciere who rated them, but the description itself isn't actually a review. Undecided

Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: June 06, 2008, 06:28:23 AM »

It is wrong, of course! But like, I don't feel like it's particularly justified being up there. It's an entry to a compo - not a finished game (I speak for myself only, obviously - there are plenty of games in the compo which feel basically finished and polished). Therefore, screw the scores (in my case, but not necessarily anyone else's).

And the score was something like 3.6 before I bumped it. Probably all it deserved. Out of ten.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 06:31:35 AM by Bezzy » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic