Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 06:04:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsProcedural GenerationProcedural Generation Competition
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14
Print
Author Topic: Procedural Generation Competition  (Read 170366 times)
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2008, 02:14:54 PM »

This could definitely churn out some awesome results.
Hell, one of my favorite games is pretty much entirely pg. NOCTIS.

zradick
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2008, 02:46:06 PM »

I have a concept, but I don't know if it's what you would call PG exactly...  More like procedurally scrambled, ala a randomized Rubik's Cube.  Would that fit the contest?

I tend to try to do puzzle style games because I don't have the time to make lots of art assets (full time job writing software, pregnant wife, cats, house, etc, etc).

--Zack
increpare
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2008, 02:54:22 PM »

I have a concept, but I don't know if it's what you would call PG exactly...  More like procedurally scrambled, ala a randomized Rubik's Cube.  Would that fit the contest?
I'd guess so.  But don't take my word for it.

I tend to try to do puzzle style games because I don't have the time to make lots of art assets (full time job writing software, pregnant wife, cats, house, etc, etc).
Pregnant wife *and* cats?  Gosh, you really must get around...

increpare, you know that OSX comes with vim, right?
I didn't know that in particular.  I have aquamacs installed though, which I use for certain things.  For very small things I generally use nano out of habit.  And currently I'm at a protyping phase, so Smiley
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2008, 02:59:47 PM »

I'm in like bathtub gin

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
mewse
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2008, 03:05:50 PM »

I reckon that as long as a particular player can see challenges that the game author never saw during development, then you can make a pretty strong argument that it's procedurally generated.

Of course, it'll be up to individual judges to decide for themselves whether they count particular games as "procedural" during the voting process.  Smiley
AClarkFS
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2008, 04:21:43 PM »

So how do I enter? Just reply here and say im in? cause id like to give it a shot.

I've been checking the main page here for over a year so I figure its time to jump in. Assuming my AI class isnt too tough this month then I think my entry will turn out well.
Hinchy
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2008, 04:24:52 PM »

I'm in, doing a collab with the aforeposted Mr. Yes. I'll post more about our project as soon as I'm awake tomorrow.
joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2008, 05:06:00 PM »

Sweet!  Now I just have to see if I can make time for this.

If I release some shmup code I've cooked up in the past for public consumption and reuse, can I call it a "library" and then use it as a basis for whatever I do for the compo?  Wink

(I might just scrap it all and start over, but I don't know how much time I'll have to make that happen.)

these are from an actual radio shack in the ghetto
Owen Butler
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2008, 05:43:28 PM »

First post for me.  I'm really excited about this site, the competitions and I'm in.  I'm totally in.
Izzimach
Level 0

Immersed in Phlogiston

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2008, 07:05:16 PM »

Posting my in-ness.  I promise to use terrible programmer art just like the last compo  Tongue

___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2008, 08:26:22 PM »

Competitions attract the man babies!  The tigsource clique community grows every day.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2008, 09:21:20 PM »

Most of them don't survive past the compo's end, so I'm not worried.

Would like to state that work on my entry has begun, though I'm waiting to figure out a name for it (and a tantalizing advertizing artwork for the hype machine) to create a thread.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
gustav
Fez Nonbeliever
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2008, 09:38:49 PM »

I might be in on this. I have an idea but how procedural it is is another question. Also, it's quite ambitious... We shall see!

lexaloffle
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2008, 09:52:25 PM »

Ah.. sweet temptation. I've always wanted to try out PG raycasted landscapes. Maybe I could manage a tech demo..

Posting my in-ness.  I promise to use terrible programmer art just like the last compo  Tongue

If it's a PCG game, you don't even need to do that. You can use terrible programmed art instead.

███ Joseph White
███ Lexaloffle Games
Flink
Level 1

Visiontrick

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2008, 11:47:51 PM »

I'm so game! But the question is what to do, I aint feeling to do any rougelike generated dungeon game, so this will require som brainstorming!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 12:02:40 AM by Henrik.Flink » Logged

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2008, 12:46:54 AM »

My game is already well underway and fun... to look at. Not so much to play so far, but that will be fixed soon enough Grin

Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2008, 03:14:29 AM »

Most of them don't survive past the compo's end, so I'm not worried.

This sounds like a challenge. Tongue

Anyway. I'm kind of pretty interested in this, I guess. I've been skulking on the shmup-dev forums for a little while now, and there's been some talk over there about generated shooters - so it's something I've already thought about a bit and am quite interested in...

...now I just have to find some free time at all over the few weeks...

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2008, 04:21:52 AM »

As stated in the comments before, unfortunately not my thang, but I'm looking forward to the entries already - people here always come up with something good.

FAIGHT!

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
Ciardhubh
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2008, 04:57:11 AM »

What is a "competit.n" and is it related to tits?

Exactly my first thought when I saw the post: Yay, tits! Kiss

I'll see if I can come up with a neat idea (with or without said tits). I have a few concerns though. Is it really worth coming up with something new and original, if in the end some game playing the retro card will win? My money's on a rogue-like or platformer :D. Hm ... we'll see.

By the way: it still says "Currently running: Video Game Name Generator Competition" in the forum overview under the competitions forum.
sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2008, 05:46:59 AM »

How acceptable would it be to let the player define the variables which influence the game i.e. through slider bars or something? I understand that usually anything goes in these competitions, but would that still technically count as procedurally generated?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic