Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:26:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsProcedural GenerationProcedural Generation Competition
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14
Print
Author Topic: Procedural Generation Competition  (Read 169585 times)
joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2008, 06:22:21 AM »

How acceptable would it be to let the player define the variables which influence the game i.e. through slider bars or something? I understand that usually anything goes in these competitions, but would that still technically count as procedurally generated?

Yes.

I mean, just having sliders affecting variables alone isn't enough to make something procedurally generated.  But if you're already generating stuff and the sliders are there to affect the outcome, that still totally counts.

these are from an actual radio shack in the ghetto
increpare
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2008, 06:29:46 AM »

How acceptable would it be to let the player define the variables which influence the game i.e. through slider bars or something? I understand that usually anything goes in these competitions, but would that still technically count as procedurally generated?
I'd hazard a guess that it totally would.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 07:15:52 AM by increpare » Logged
Pip
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2008, 06:39:46 AM »

Totally.

Crackerblocks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2008, 08:03:58 AM »

<- another new man baby declaring his in-ness!

procedurally generated airplanes. that's my dream.
medieval
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2008, 08:51:47 AM »

Man-babies have once succeeded to take over the world.

Then they failed.
Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2008, 08:57:18 AM »

I'll try to finish an entry this time. Ultraviolent Moon Patrol has been put on the back burner temporarily, my dev station is currently being converted over to Ubuntu, so hopefully by the end of this I'll have a Linux/Win32 build for ze tigs :D

Procedural content can always lead to wacky results, hopefully I can step out of the box a little on this one and try to come up with something a bit more original. Good luck everyone!

Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2008, 10:43:00 AM »

I probably should have put some time into thinking about this one if I was going to enter, because I have no idea what I'd do.

I still might throw something together, though.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
shockedfrog
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2008, 11:00:00 AM »

I've been planning out a kind of side-view roguelike for a few years now, titled DAVE (the Daft Amount of Variables Environment) - I made a small (pretty much zero content) demo in DBPro, which eventually led to me moving away from it due to a ridiculous bug where the game ran slow unless there was a flash applet or Modplug Tracker running in the background. Anyway, obviously not going to enter that - partially due to it being cheating, partially due to the fact it'd never be completed  by the deadline since I still haven't settled on the best way to draw a stickman - but I would quite like to make something for this, based on some of the things I've been messing around with. I should really focus on my site and existing unfinished stuff, though, and I don't really have any solid ideas for this, so might end up giving this one a miss. Either way, definitely looking forward to the entries.
jph wacheski
Level 1

It's only a matter of folding time and space,..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2008, 11:50:02 AM »

well this is right where my head is at lately, so I shall endevor to have something done for this,. and may I suggest to anyone who will listen to check out ZGameEditor !

http://www.zgameeditor.org/

this is the perfect tool for building this compo,. it is designed with procedural techniques in mind,. and although you will no doubt find some of the current limitations of the system at first frustrating, with effort I have been able to produce some very satisfying results using the system,. check the forums over there Gyro-phyter NEO was my last production and I dare say my best game yet, and still only 43k! its still unfinished, but I have stoped working on that to focus on an entry for this timely Procedural Generation Competition.  I would just like to see more games built with ZGE as the resulting files are tinny, as they should be, and yet the power is there to make really great stuff,. openGL, realtime synth-sound system, shader support,. etc. etc. oh did I say it is cross platform, w/ Linux and Mac OS X supported! and of course it is a free tool and open source!  I should have just keep it to my self,. but the more people using it the more it will be dev.ed.

Well enouph about that, I just went for a bike-ride and with all the plant life springin' up along the trails here in canada I am inspired by all these wonderfull procedural organic growth systems I am seeing,. so I suspect my entry will be about plant growth in some way,. . I'll start a thread when I have a little demo.

Peace.

http://iterationGAMES.com
http://jph_wacheski.itch.io/
all my itch.io games are now pay-what-you-like Wink
turshija
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2008, 11:55:05 AM »

im in ! Smiley
Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2008, 01:12:55 PM »

Want in. Don't have my computer yet. Gah.

Also: seriously unconvinced that I can get anything finished in this time period. The problem with procedurally generated stuff is, I always want to get stuff JUST RIGHT, and that means I become unwilling to cut corners.

Still.. I have some bezier code I've not used much... hmm.

Bob le Moche
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2008, 02:42:20 PM »

I'm thinking of joining this competition but I still have a few questions:

- A lot of strategy games (think civilization) take place in a different procedurally generated world each time... Would such a game be a valid entry? I'm guessing probably not since the procedural map is really something you expect from the genre and not really making a point of being procedural for the sake of it (whereas a rpg in a procedural world would be more original?)

- What about a game that starts in the same way each time (some kind of blank slate) but where the world can change in "procedural" ways in response to the player's actions... Something like where all the content would "emerge" from the gameplay? This probably doesn't count either since it could include most simulations and building games.

- I know that the emphasis is on "new content every time the player starts the game"... But what If I want something like Elite or Noctis where a huge universe is generated procedurally but from the same seed each time, so that it is the same for everyone and players can then collaborate to map the world and relate their experiences? I'm thinking maybe the ability to generate the world with a different seed could be an unlockable or something?

- Am I taking this way too seriously given that I'll probably never get anything finished in time?
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2008, 02:55:35 PM »

All the ideas that have been mentioned so far are valid for the competition.  I wouldn't worry about it too much, unless you are seriously stretching. Wink

Although I'd suggest trying to choose a game idea that's doable in four weeks.  For example, if you want to do a space sim that has procedurally-generated universes, then I wouldn't try to add trading, pirate battles, and planetary exploration on top of it.  Start with the universe generation and just make it fun to fly around and look at.
seregrail7
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2008, 03:23:56 PM »

I'm probably in, I hope. If I have time and a pretty good game idea I'll have an entry. I already have a map generator done after this evenings experimentation. Smiley
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2008, 03:28:41 PM »

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but the forum description still says that the current competition is the VGNG competition.

Selevan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2008, 04:26:06 PM »

I have a question. Can i use art and|or music ripped from other projects or sources on internet? Or i should find an artist to participate in this compo?
december
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2008, 04:43:23 PM »

Can I require the player be pirating software to play, by analyzing bittorent activity in real time to generate levels?

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.
increpare
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2008, 04:51:37 PM »

Can I require the player be pirating software to play, by analyzing bittorent activity in real time to generate levels?
No.  There are some legal uses for p2p networking, you know  Wink

HMMMMM.  My procedural name generator doesn't seem to be quite working yet:

Peadar Bill
Rose Cian
Andrew Derek
Ursula David
John Christopher
Joseph table
Nelly Donal
Trina Gabriel
Kay Fergus
Ned toilet

Lips Sealed
Mentalpatient109
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2008, 09:14:50 PM »

Sounds cool. I'm in.
Chaoseed
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2008, 09:31:26 PM »

No.  There are some legal uses for p2p networking, you know  Wink

Yeah, the player could be sharing the game itself. Wink

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic