Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411486 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 08:47:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsProcedural GenerationProcedural Generation Competition
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14
Print
Author Topic: Procedural Generation Competition  (Read 170323 times)
zradick
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2008, 09:34:06 PM »

Although I'd suggest trying to choose a game idea that's doable in four weeks.  For example, if you want to do a space sim that has procedurally-generated universes, then I wouldn't try to add trading, pirate battles, and planetary exploration on top of it.  Start with the universe generation and just make it fun to fly around and look at.

I think there is actually a law somewhere that says you have to have pirate battles if you make a space sim.  Fair warning.

Cheers,
--Zack
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2008, 11:16:06 PM »

Can I require the player be pirating software to play, by analyzing bittorent activity in real time to generate levels?
No.  There are some legal uses for p2p networking, you know  Wink

Yeah, the player could be sharing the game itself. Wink

How about they unlock a secret weapon if they're sharing the game itself? Maybe impossible to do, but a very cool idea.

Selevan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2008, 12:15:51 AM »

But seriously. Are there any restrictions on art/music, that can be used in the game? Should it be unique, created specifically for this game? Is it ok to use third-party assets giving prominent credits? Personally i think it is ok since this is not commersial, something like fair use... i have an idea but don`t have possibility to make a lot of art (pixel-art sprites to be specific) for a game.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2008, 12:24:05 AM »

I suggest everybody stop asking [censored] questions and submit their game. Best way to see if it was permitted or not Wink

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2008, 12:28:05 AM »

Is it ok to use third-party assets giving prominent credits? Personally i think it is ok since this is not commersial, something like fair use...

Legal answer (blah blah not lawyer, etc.): No, it's totally not OK. Fair use covers stuff like review or education, not making free games to distribute all over the Internet.

Moral answer: Well, that's between you and society. ;-P

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
mewse
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2008, 12:29:49 AM »

But seriously. Are there any restrictions on art/music, that can be used in the game? Should it be unique, created specifically for this game? Is it ok to use third-party assets giving prominent credits? Personally i think it is ok since this is not commersial, something like fair use... i have an idea but don`t have possibility to make a lot of art (pixel-art sprites to be specific) for a game.

http://www.sloperama.com/advice/faq61.htm

But also, there are several artists here who are apparently sitting out of this competition.  I bet that at least some of them would love to partner up with a programmer to make an entry.
Mightypea
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2008, 12:40:49 AM »

I look forward to the results from this! I've been loving the small games that have been coming out of tigsource's competitions, as the vast majority are a load of fun. Add to that my being interested in procedural generation, as well as my fear of procedural content generation becoming sentient (and taking over 'ma jerbs', if you will), and you have my shivering in my seat. Nice job, jerks.

Potatoe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2008, 03:33:42 AM »

So it's ok to have a randomly generated map for the player to play in(By random I mean have a set number of coins for example, depending on the level you are on, and then have the computer randomise the level layout)? I have an idea, I'm gonna try and finish it on time(it's nothing big so I think I can manage).
Selevan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2008, 04:52:47 AM »

2mewse: Thank you! Very useful link Smiley
So clear answer is "no, really", Fine Smiley
I think i still can look at creative commons content (by-attribution/non-commersial) though... Or simply procedurically generate another game idea...  :D
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2008, 07:51:58 AM »

Change the damn forum description Derek! Wink

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
omicron1
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2008, 09:03:03 AM »

Ok, I have so much stuff going on right now...
Finals this week; a 3d FPS/simulation/trading game/rpg/swordfighting game/etc. game (made with Game Maker) that looks like this; etc.
But I still have time for showing off a few things, I suppose...

...like a procedurally generated universe done in ~a weekend, again in Game Maker:
*Not my official entry*

(The number in the upper-left corner is the frames per second. >])...

...or what I may actually end up submitting, a COMPLETELY procedural roguelike. Which means that not only levels, but monsters (names, stats), items (names, stats, actions), NPCs, and spells would be procedurally generated. Imagine not knowing what a particular item would do until you (A)pplied it and blew your head off... or imagine if I just added a classification to each item (Blagsura: Blunt weapon. Yeenoghu: Marsupial enemy.) for ease of play...
darthlupi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2008, 09:20:00 AM »

Yeah, I have been thinking about a procedurely generated action rpg for the last 70 years.  Let's see what all that thinking has done for me?!?  Maybe a  game!  Maybe sitting on the sidelines while other people make their game!

madah
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 06, 2008, 09:53:13 AM »

I'm in!

I've been experimenting with procedural generation, but never made an actual game that used it fully.

It will definitly be a 2D game using SDL, but I haven't decided on what the game should be about yet. Perhaps some strategy or shooter.
M2tias
Level 0

poks pam

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 06, 2008, 10:46:39 AM »

Örk!
*Mighty warrior of scandinavian barbars walks to the stage*
Hey,
I'm that mysterious M2tias that platypus was talking about in his Ye Olde Beat 'em Up -thread. So, I think I'm in... Shocked

Btw, I might be a manbaby, but at least I still get to sleep next to my mom.
Oh and... *wears a monocle*

Tööt.
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2008, 03:51:24 PM »

All right, I have the goddamn best idea ever conceived by humans. Unfortunately, I'm starting my summer work soon, so I don't know if I'll finish it before the end of the competition, but it will definitely be done in a couple of months, at the latest.

I don't want to say too much at this early stage, but it will involve outer space yokels whose only salvation from an alien menace is interracial marriage. Also, it will make levels from any picture.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
increpare
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2008, 04:00:34 PM »

All right, I have the goddamn best idea ever conceived by humans. Unfortunately, I'm starting my summer work soon, so I don't know if I'll finish it before the end of the competition, but it will definitely be done in a couple of months, at the latest.

I don't want to say too much at this early stage, but it will involve outer space yokels whose only salvation from an alien menace is interracial marriage. Also, it will make levels from any picture.

Sounds fascinating!
Zemat
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2008, 04:26:14 PM »

I'm in too!

This would be a good time to test my incomplete Lua/SDL game engine.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2008, 04:49:53 PM »

I'm trying to find an idea that will not require at least two months of work but it ain't easy.
*grumble grumble*

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2008, 04:55:01 PM »

Can I require the player be pirating software to play, by analyzing bittorent activity in real time to generate levels?
No.  There are some legal uses for p2p networking, you know  Wink

HMMMMM.  My procedural name generator doesn't seem to be quite working yet:

Peadar Bill
Rose Cian
Andrew Derek
Ursula David
John Christopher
Joseph table
Nelly Donal
Trina Gabriel
Kay Fergus
Ned toilet

Lips Sealed

I'm totally changing my display name to Ned toilet.

Crackerblocks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2008, 07:35:14 PM »

I'm imagining genetic algorithms on hobo DNA, and Photosurf. yummy!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic