Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:56:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingCovalency
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Covalency  (Read 3814 times)
increpare
« on: May 04, 2008, 11:09:54 AM »

(New version added 7 May)

I programmed a game a couple of years ago, inspired by my chemistry classes.  But I lost it.   Sad  Playing that C64-esque 'The China Syndrome' game, mentioned elsewhere, had me feeling pangs for the game again last night, so I made it again, this time in allegro.  I was very happy that I was able to get the game playable in a couple of hours, but then I spent ALL of today making the electrons move smoothy, doubling the length of code in the process  Cry Cry  (oh; both zips have source, but it's really gross and messy, so I wouldn't recommend looking at it).

It's a drop-up puzzle game, where you have atoms with a certain valency (# of free electrons), and the form bonds with other atoms; if you create a molecule with a total valency of 0 (i.e., there're no electrons left spinning in it), then it disappears. 

The controls are the left/right cursor keys, and space.  Enter to fire some sort of (de)ionizing blast.  But it generates heat (which is bad).

And, most importantly: ESC TO EXIT.

So: Graphics 20% done.  Animations 73.5% done.  Gameplay is 83% done.  Game is maybe 70% done.

Covalency for Windows (417 KB)

(I hope this third thread this weekend doesn't count as spamming; all games have been programmed over the past two/three days, and none have thus far appeared anywhere else, nor are likely to (other than maybe my website)).

Irritatingly, this latest version has possibly several bugs that were not in the previous version.  I won't have time to tend to this project for a couple of weeks probably, and they occur very rarely, so shouldn't mess with your play too much.  That said, if they annoy you enough to make you want to let me know, please do, but in the knowledge that I'm already aware of them probably :/
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 08:30:27 AM by increpare » Logged
joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 08:16:11 PM »

Nice!  I'm frequently trying to find ways to make teaching science more interactive, so finding ways to sneak actual science into a game is a Super Good Thing.

Right now this needs a goal.  The two standard puzzle-genre things that would fit here would be either some kind of time-based pressure that you're working against (eg. Tetris, Puzzle Bobble), or to turn this concept into a level-based puzzle game. 

My first reaction for this was to go level-based, but I suspect it'd still be way too easy unless you changed up the core mechanic to be more complex (eg. reordering pieces instead of just adding, or something.)  It'd also give you a chance to really bring out the sense of looking at an existing molecule and figuring out how to change or manipulate it to fit what you want - sort of a mad science feel.

On the other hand, the time-based pressure thing would fit very quickly into what you already have.  ie. have a new row of random atoms added every x seconds, and then you have to work to clear them before the atoms reach the bottom.  Pros: super-easy to add to this and give it a clearer sense of purposeful gameplay.  Cons: could be too similar to Puzzle Bobble for people to really take notice.

In either case, it'd be cool to have some kind of "WIN" animation when you complete a molecule instead of it just disappearing.  (I know, this is a prototype and that's a polish sort of thing to add, but just saying.)

these are from an actual radio shack in the ghetto
Daniel Benmergui
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 07:31:53 AM »

It has the same mechanic as Atomino, only you throw the atoms instead of placing them.

I once made a clone of that game...it had two main objectives:

1) You had random atoms with free electrons while beginning, and you had to clear the screen of them.
2) You had a preset-sequence of atoms with which you could form a complicated molecule...you had to find a way to build that molecule (there were some places in the grid that were solid and couldn't place atoms there).

Maybe these help...

Daniel.
Ludomancy
increpare
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 10:27:04 AM »

It has the same mechanic as Atomino, only you throw the atoms instead of placing them.
Gosh.  What're the chances of that?  My game feels a lot less special now  Sad 

I spent a couple of hours today cleaning it up, made the play-are width considerably narrower, introduced a bar that you have to work against, and a way of freeing trapped atoms.  Didn't make any 'disappearing atoms' animations yet though.  That'll happen soon enough though.

The main technical thing now that I'll have to do eventually is make some code to drop molecules to the top of the screen if stuff above them gets removed; it's going to be a little gross though :/

And some code for displaying numbers.  Which frankly I find even less appealing. (It's one of these life-skills that I've never come to terms with).

Here's a screenshot

(won't bother an updated version until I've improved it a lot more)

Have to think of something to do with all that extra screen area now though   (okay; so some of it is going to be takeng up by a score box and something telling you what level you're on, and what pieces is coming next.  Maybe that'll be enough? :/ )
Massena
Level 4

Satisfied.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 10:29:29 AM »

The screen looks nice, but the mac version doesn't seem to work. I'm on a Mac OS 10.4 and here's the command window:
Code:
exit
Segmentation fault
logout

I'm guessing you forgot to send some libs or something.

increpare
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 10:41:33 AM »

The screen looks nice, but the mac version doesn't seem to work. I'm on a Mac OS 10.4 and here's the command window:
Code:
exit
Segmentation fault
logout

I'm guessing you forgot to send some libs or something.
Hmm, yeah.  I don't fully seem to be able to package it with the proper allegro libs on this laptop.  I'll try 2x as hard to get a functional mac version up next version I upload (might take until the weekend).

Sorry about that!
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 12:11:28 PM »

Super Good Thing.

... I'm sorry.

Anyway, this game really looks great, but I don't have time to try it right now. Science FTW!

ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 04:09:46 PM »

I really like the concept for this.  As others have said, this represents an excellent incorporation of real science into a non-educational game.

I personally do not like the idea of timed gameplay.  Instead, I would go for a level-based design.  Each level could have pre-placed atoms in different arrangements, that would increase with difficulty as the game progresses.  The object would be to clear the level, but rather than randomly generated atoms, you would have a set bank to choose from.

That way, each level could be a set puzzle for the player to solve.  You could still time the player, but I wouldn't make it the point of the game.

Playing that C64-esque 'The China Syndrome' game, mentioned elsewhere,
I'm glad Too Many Isotopes inspired you.   Smiley  Although, Covalency makes about ten times more scientific sense.   Smiley

Very nice game!

~ Theta Games

increpare
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 08:24:55 AM »

EDIT:  Latest version (0.1) uploaded here (417KB)

Controls are left/right to move, space to drop an atom, and return to fire something or other that has some effect on free electrons in your current column.  Don't let the heat gauge max out or you'll lose.  Reduce it to zero and get to the next level (where the gauge will increase more quickly).

VERY ANNOYINGLY, my game now has very difficult-to-locate bugs.  As well as some that only appear on the mac version, which is even more confusing.  These shouldn't affect play for the most part though.   I think I'm going to leave it alone for a bit now, and work on another game.

The level system does seem to lend itself to some basic strategizing now, but there are still some things that I
I really like the concept for this.  As others have said, this represents an excellent incorporation of real science into a non-educational game.
Nice!  I'm frequently trying to find ways to make teaching science more interactive, so finding ways to sneak actual science into a game is a Super Good Thing.

On that topic, have either of you tried out lightcone?  (Nobody has commented on it yet...)

That way, each level could be a set puzzle for the player to solve.  You could still time the player, but I wouldn't make it the point of the game.
But that would make it even more identical to Atomino, wouldn't it?  Also, it's not exactly a timer ...  It does, I think, work reasonably well, and suits the game-play dynamic that the original had.  I'll wait and see what you say when you play the next version I upload, ok?

Playing that C64-esque 'The China Syndrome' game, mentioned elsewhere,
I'm glad Too Many Isotopes inspired you.   Smiley  Although, Covalency makes about ten times more scientific sense.   Smiley
I'm of the opinion that your one has a much more 'scientific' feel (for some reason the graphics evoke radioactivity really effectively to me...).

I will take all of your suggestions into serious consideration.  Hopefully I'll get the penultimate version up today (final version will have graphics and music, but I have no motivation to do either right at this moment).
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 08:30:09 AM by increpare » Logged
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 08:35:33 AM »

Just played it! It's working well, right now I think the biggest issue it has is speed. The game needs to be, like, 30 or 40 times faster. Sound effects would help the atmosphere as well, I think, and music as a third priority. But it's shaping up to be a fun little game Smiley

(Have you played Blocksum? In terms of pacing, I think that sorta model could be a more entertaining fit Smiley )

increpare
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 08:49:37 AM »

Just played it! It's working well, right now I think the biggest issue it has is speed. The game needs to be, like, 30 or 40 times faster.
Thanks, and: Good advice.  How about now?  (the bonding hasn't been speeded up, but the dropping speed has (edit: uploaded one with speeded bonding at 1808)).

Sound effects would help the atmosphere as well, I think, and music as a third priority. But it's shaping up to be a fun little game Smiley
Yep, sure.  But I just am a bit pissed off with it at the moment, and want to get the code right first.

And I haven't played blocksum.  I'll check it out!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 09:08:41 AM by increpare » Logged
MekanikDestructiwKommando
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2008, 01:35:53 AM »

Hm, interesting.
It seems.. too easy? Well, I only played until level 3. Maybe higher levels you need to make longer chains to get points? A time clock? The top of the screen is being pushed down? Something runs along the rows between the electrons and steals or adds electrons, or just replaces them? Maybe you control this with your WASD controls for multi-tasking?

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
increpare
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2008, 02:59:56 AM »

Hm, interesting.
It seems.. too easy? Well, I only played until level 3.
Yeah; it only starts to get difficult around level 5/6.  And unless you make some effort, it'll take you a while to get there.  (If you make a big molecule, you can go up several levels at once.  Actually, the way I've ended up playing it involves making as big a molecule I can, and completing it right when the temperature gauge is about to get to its highest point).

Thanks, for playing, and the other suggestions; I'll keep them in mind.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic